1980 FJ45 Not Starting After Rain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Water is heavier than gas, so any water will eventually be on the bottom of the tank, then sucked by the pump and to the carb. You probably need to blow out the lines. drain the carb and remove and empty the tank. Today's fuel is oxygenated and has ethanol in it. The ethanol attracts moisture. Once the ethanol gets saturated with moisture the ethanol and water mix separates from the gas and falls to the bottom of the tank. What's left on top is crap. This is called phase separation. Idk if your in that situation yet. There is no economical way to regenerate the gas. It needs to be removed b4 new gas is added. I would also add a bottle of dry gas.

I completely drained the tank with a siphon, and then used a vacuum pump and spent 15 minutes probing the tank bottom trying to get every last drop of fluid out. I think I got it all. Next I added some gas dri and a few gallons of mid Grade unleaded.

Next I pulled the fuel line from the carb, attached it to a bucket, and cranked approx 3 cups of fuel out, and reattached the fuel line.

Is there any easy way to drain any residual water that may be in the carb still, without taking the whole carb apart?

I can see the fuel line present through the window in the carb, but after 15 seconds of cranking, it still looks "milky" in the window, as if there is still some water present.

20230608_185751.jpg

Only way is by opening the sight glass and vacing it. No gaurantee. You can try flush it with clean gas via the sight glass and let it spill out. I would take carb off and do it right. Get it cleaned. Milk maybe in the small dia circuit lines. If the flush doesn’t work, thats what you will have to do.

Last edited:
When you pumped the fuel out of the carb feed line did you pump until you got clear fuel? A glass jar, will let you know for sure.
Assuming you have a semi stock set up, did you either change your fuel filter or at least remove it and empty it. With that cloudy fuel you still have some water in the system somewhere.
Dri gas will work but only with minimum water contamination.
With Phase separation as stated above, a little water will show as slightly cloudy or a "wavy" texture to the fuel. A lot of water will show as milky, especially when shaken or run through a fuel pump. You still have quite a bit of water somewhere in the system.

If you let the clear glass of fuel sit for a day or so the water will eventually separate from the fuel and sink to the bottom.

Assuming that you've drained the float bowl, I'd pull the fuel line off the carb and syphon clean fuel into it and see how it starts.
Whatever water there is left in the carb will soon get sucked out and you'll find if this really is the problem.

If you can't start it on ezistart then maybe its an electrical problem. Do you have a spark still?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom