1979 FJ40 OEM Radiator Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I won a '79 FJ40 Land Cruiser at auction that is being hauled up Tuesday so I haven't seen it yet.

It has a radiator overflow nipple leak that sprays everywhere. The truck has a factory oil cooler & power steering but no A/C. I'd rather replace the entire radiator with a new OEM unit but will try having it brazed first.

I'm trying to educate myself but still don't know if I need a 2-row, 3-row, or 4-row or which will fit the existing truck without modification. It seems I can find a few OEM units without the oil cooler but they usually say they're only compatible w/o power steering which I can't source.

What happens if I replace the radiator w/o the oil cooler? Is the cooler separate sitting in front or behind the radiator or is it integrated? My Toyota dealership shows 2 radiators: 1 w/o the oil cooler & 1 with it integrated, both discontinued.

I've tried to do a coolant flush on OTHER vehicles & always get a vapor lock. So if I can just identify & purchase a new OEM unit that directly replaces my old stock unit that has problems, I'll just have a shop do the swap for me.

I'd like to contact @beno but don't see how to message him.
I've searched the forum here for easy answers to no avail.
Please help.

Last edited:
I've never seen a FJ40 radiator with oil cooler in it. the oil cooler is on the side of the block. the OEM PS cooler is a tube that runs underneath the radiator not in the radiator.

the only difference in OEM radiators from 79-84 are if they are for rigs with a/c or non a/c.

no vapor lock? in the cooling system, you can get an air bubble trapped in the system but it is easy to take care of.

until you get the rig and see what it looks like, this is all speculation. when you get the rig post some pics.

Thanks guys. I'll opt for a brand new radiator. Got the truck today; lots of amateur rebuild items. Missing parts, misalignments, etc. Since I really wanted a turn-key vehicle in good shape, I'm looking for a very reputable outfit in the Northwest to give it a reliable run-through to resolve all the details & even go through the engine & powertrain. I've found Landcruisernw.com in Portland. How are they? I'm near Seattle, what other top-notch outfits around me?

Thanks guys. I'll opt for a brand new radiator. Got the truck today; lots of amateur rebuild items. Missing parts, misalignments, etc. Since I really wanted a turn-key vehicle in good shape, I'm looking for a very reputable outfit in the Northwest to give it a reliable run-through to resolve all the details & even go through the engine & powertrain. I've found Landcruisernw.com in Portland. How are they? I'm near Seattle, what other top-notch outfits around me?
Just north of you about 30 min is Torfab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom