Builds 1978 BJ40 buildup broadcast... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HawkDriver said:
Dang dude, that's lookin real nice. I picked up that same saw a few months back. It kicks ass. Like a second person in the garage.

haha i even talk to my saw when its working....Like "look at you go...keep it up while i go grab another beer, you want one?" haha

Question for ya. Where did you get your polyurethane stock? I need to make two mounts for my running boards. I have a body 3" body lift by the PO never had any support under the running boards and I don't want them to bend them. I was thinking of using some hocky pucks but after I saw what your were using I'm leaning towards the polyurethane.

350-78LandCruiser said:
Question for ya. Where did you get your polyurethane stock? I need to make two mounts for my running boards. I have a body 3" body lift by the PO never had any support under the running boards and I don't want them to bend them. I was thinking of using some hocky pucks but after I saw what your were using I'm leaning towards the polyurethane.

Yeah it would work great....post 117 has the link to where you can order some.

Looks great, congrats, learning a lot.

If you haven't already, check the FAQ in the Diesel/24v board re: 12v vs. 24v electricals... might give you more ideas on some of your electrical issues. There is in particular an excellent discussion of Solar converters that I would read before you install one.

Too bad I eBay'd my old 24volt rear heater (but later 40 style) a few months ago... But have you considered a Tuffy console? that's why I removed mine.

Cheers,
B

Diescipel said:
Looks great, congrats, learning a lot.

If you haven't already, check the FAQ in the Diesel/24v board re: 12v vs. 24v electricals... might give you more ideas on some of your electrical issues. There is in particular an excellent discussion of Solar converters that I would read before you install one.

Too bad I eBay'd my old 24volt rear heater (but later 40 style) a few months ago... But have you considered a Tuffy console? that's why I removed mine.

Cheers,
B

Thanks, Yeah the Solar converter is in the plans...I should really order one soon. Great reads in the Diesel tech pages...I plan on putting in the Tuffy console but didnt know it affected the heater?

Travis

HeavyLift said:
I plan on putting in the Tuffy console but didnt know it affected the heater?

Travis

Well, it may be different for you since mine is an 83... according to the CCOT bracket info, it looks like you can keep your heater. My bad.

B

Did some work installing the clutch/brake pedal bracket and brake booster. The master cylinder currently on it will be changed out with a new Aisin Part #47201-60550 to go along with the new rear disc brakes:D

Planning on painting all this when it comes time to paint the tub.

Installed the resistors under the dash as well. These go for the Light on the "light control switch" and "heater indicator control". One also goes for the cigarette lighter.

Travis
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG

Did a little work on trying to figure out how to hang the wiring harness up.
I wasnt sure how zip ties would work. And I am not sold this is the answer but I guess we will see....

I took a stove pipe, and cut that into a few strips of a couple different sizes. I drilled a hole in one end, taped about 1/2 inch of it and covered them in some Plastic Dip.

Using PC-11 epoxy I bonded them to the fiberglass and let them cure. They held and will hold up the wiring harness. They are about as close to the tabs that held them up on the old tub as you can get but I cant help but think there is something better?

These pictures dont show the tabs very well, maybe I will try and take better ones but they will work for now.
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG

HeavyLift said:
I took a stove pipe, and cut that into a few strips of a couple different sizes. I drilled a hole in one end, taped about 1/2 inch of it and covered them in some Plastic Dip.

I like the plastic dip idea on the tabs you made... very, very good idea ;p

Matt

Did a few things tonite...

First thanks to CDAN, Santa came in the UPS truck and dropped off a few parts.

I put the Old Man Emu Shocks on tonite and then took off the rear ones as I had to grind some of the tub for the square metal tube that the seats mount to. I took the belt sander to this and took a few high spots off...this will be sandwiched between the body mounts and epoxied to the tub.

Tomorrow I will hopefully grab some help to set the tub back down and fit the last mounts.

Thats about it for tonite...

Travis
IMG_1498.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
IMG_1501.JPG

Where did ya go? You get away from Matt and this thread dies shortly thereafter ???? Update us and pics!!

i am still here...lost a little momentum but i will bring this up to date...sorry kids..:(

not all of us can keep up with "mach matt" ;)

Great job on this thread your rig is looking awesome! I assume you must be a hooker based on your Pic, I like the way you used that Jack bolt to straighten out that bent mount on your frame. That is definite CE (crewchief) technology at its best. Keep up the good work!

To the top, now lets get some updates.....

For you to have connections to matt this thread sure is strugglin :)

Doesnt he make all of us look slack?

much delay....

Haha been some pressure to update the page and bring some people up to speed as to what I have been doing on this project (or not doing as the case may be). I could give a hundred excuses but they are all lame....beer, women, not here, work....

Not a whole lot to report really. Been working on installing seats, gas tank, and putting the front bib together.

I purchased new fenders. One worked great....the other, well that one got bent in shipping and took me A LONG time to iron out. I am a simple guy and the complex angles this thing took flew me for a loop. I ended up (finishing today) pushing back what I could out of the slight creases and then just man handling the fender into place.....it worked.

The gas tank took some modifying as well. The PO had done some work and I had to 'tweak' both the tub and the tank to get it to fit in where it belongs. I still need to hook up the lines as well as the filler neck. I had to trim the tank shroud and 'roll' the edge.

For the seats, it appears that I need to make a small shim to raise the brackets about a 1/2" to clear the tank and properly mount to the floor of the tub.

I attached some pics to bring the thread back alive. Let the harassment begin ;)....

Travis
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 008.jpg

more pics...

adding a few more of the front clip...
The fiberglass bib required some new holes and grinding....
Pictures 061.jpg
Pictures 065.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom