1977 FJ Exhaust Manifold Horns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some advice on the best way to remove/clean/rebuild the manifold horns - mine are rusted tight & won't move. Didn't want to apply too much force and break them....

penetrating oil, heat on the main manifold to expand them, dead blow or rawhide hammer
does the horn rotate? I usually start by getting them to spin before trying to remove.

penetrating oil, heat on the main manifold to expand them, dead blow or rawhide hammer
does the horn rotate? I usually start by getting them to spin before trying to remove.
Thanks - I'm a noob just taking it slow and careful - I appreciate your advice. I've been studying every thread I can find about this, and I can see the need to be careful with these fragile exhaust manifolds. I didn't notice any leakage from the horn connections while on the truck and was thinking to just leave well enough alone and not disturb them, (and possible break something, which I'm very good at) but.....since I have the manifolds off and separated I thought I would see what wiser minds would suggest. Dumb question: is it possible to remove and fix horns without removing manifold from truck ? (if I noticed leak after installation - undo bolts and remove them from the manifold)?

it would be difficult on the truck, you don't need to separate the intake to remove them, but off the engine will be much easier.
the rear one would be extra difficult to remove in the engine bay.

I've beat on the exhaust horns and never damaged them, they aren't that fragile.

it would be difficult on the truck, you don't need to separate the intake to remove them, but off the engine will be much easier.
the rear one would be extra difficult to remove in the engine bay.

I've beat on the exhaust horns and never damaged them, they aren't that fragile.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - I rarely post since every question I have seems to be already answered somewhere on this amazing website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom