Builds 1973 FJ40 New Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, if anyone knows how to rebuild factory fuel pumps, I'd be happy for info on that. I wouldn't be opposed to sending it to a member here and I'd pay to have it rebuilt. I opened it up, and it's just the diaphragm that is cracked out.

Cruiser Cult has rebuild kit's for the fuel pumps. I just rebuilt one. Pretty easy job and there us a video showing how to do it.
Thank you! I will look that over tonight.

Got the tires on, topped off the brake fluid, and ran it up and down the road a ways! Runs great so far! I am incredibly pleased with this old fella.

PXL_20220506_002239578.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220506_002310592.PORTRAIT.jpg

Troll Hole is gone. Dirt Road Tops is the best I know of. VERY nice product. I've got one of her tops on my Cruiser. Check my STPCHLD build thread for images.

Finally out at the family ranch again. Haven't done any work to it this trip. Just driving it around and enjoying it while I'm home. I did notice the radiator hoses are looking pretty poorly and one started a little leak. So that's probably the next project when I come back next spring. Hoping by then I will have a new soft top and a set of new tires for it too. Then, it might go into town for the first time in probably 30 years

PXL_20221012_234843887.jpg

Just read the whole post. That last pic sums up the story on your truck very well.
Thanks for sharing, and even more for wanting to keep it original.

Memory builder for sure.
You have come to the best resource for knowledge and advice on your journey. Enjoy her:bounce:

I was out at the ranch working cattle again this spring. And of course working on the 73!

Unfortunately, didn't take any progress pictures this trip of the work. But, I was able to replace a few leaking hoses, clean out/replace thermostat, and get 2 new 31/10.50r15 tires for the back (it was a compromise, 2 more this fall!) And got to enjoy it just long enough before more things started leaking!

The list for this fall is:
- water pump (old one feels like it is about to go out)
- new radiator (started leaking out the bottom really badly. It will be a good time to replace the lower two hoses at the same time)
- 2 more 31/10.50r15 tires from the local mechanic. He is a family friend. I told him I was going to buy a set from him when he mounted the junk tires for free a year ago. Trying to make good on that promise. And I hope I can drive the FJ the 20 miles to town to show him. He really wants to see it.
- May have to investigate brakes. I think one of the wheel cylinders started leaking this trip.
- Try to change the rest of the fluids. Things look decent, but I would sure like to have everything fresh.
- I would still like a soft top but the mechanicals are more of a priority. Maybe next spring for it.

But, all in all, this little truck keeps amazing me. It starts up and runs pretty, well even cold. The motor sounds nice to me although I still wonder if the carb needs someone smarter than myself to tune it up. My goal is to be able to drive it to town and back without issue. I think I'm close to that.

IMG_20230513_075058~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230509-154349.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom