SOLD 1972 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Restored but not running. Was running great but one day it started cutting out, backfiring etc. I could get it running a few more times but same stuff. Now I can't get it started at all. I'm not a mechanic so I don't know what to do and the wife wants it out of the garage. Here is a quick list, message for more details. 3FE conversion with 4 speed transmission. The 3FE was rebuilt about 5K miles ago. Front discs, new softtop, new clutch all new badging, new wheels, new bumpers, new seats, lifted. Three doors to restore two also included. I'll get more pics if wanted. $16,000
IMG_0257.JPG

49D2D3FE-47F8-4F54-A6BC-5680076D394A.jpeg

02DC0972-7DA9-4DFF-AE04-86A39C57FF0E.jpeg

510AEDDF-6A2D-47B1-8E3B-8B2929B65414.jpeg

671D1D6F-553C-453C-A7D9-D96F45770EB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoa..... that looks way too nice to give up on! I’m not a great mechanic either but have done a lot of my own trouble shooting as these rigs are pretty straightforward to work on, especially with so many top-shelf mechanical minds on this forum to help you!
If all else fails, tuck tail and get it to a mechanic! You may really regret selling later on.....
You probably know all this but I tossed my 2 cents in anyway! Good luck :cheers:

Who rebuilt the engine? Have you contacted them regarding the starting issues? Who did the resto? Do you have build pictures?

Engine was re-built by Man a Fre when they were in CA. I purchased it from the guy who had it re-built for his FJ60. He drove it for 5K miles and decided he wanted a V8. The body work was done by the person I purchased it from, I don't recall his name. A Master Mechanic in NM installed the 3fe, rebuilt the hubs and installed the disc brakes. I did the wiring myself and installed various parts over the years by calling that mechanic and getting his instructions. The 3fe conversion harness was purchased from cruiserparts.net. It's not perfect. The steering box leaks, and the transmission input shaft seal leaks. I changed all of the gaskets on the transmission before I installed it and didn't realize that I needed to also change the input seal. It was such a bitch getting it in the first place, that I didn't have the desire to pull it again.

You can call Michael Potter at 505-986-9070 he is the mechanic that I used when I lived in NM. Please don't question my ethics. I'm an open book and will get on facetime whatever to show the truck to anyone. If you think it's too good to be true then too bad for you because someone is going to get a hell of a deal because I need the money.

I'll take some pictures of the engine when I get home tonight and post them later.

So I guess it doesn't sound like this :confused:

What is your point? Do you want me to be impressed? If you're such a hotshot mechanic you would want buy this rig, get it running and make some money.

Last edited:
What is your point? Do you want me to be impressed? If you're such a hotshot mechanic you would want buy this rig, get it running and make some money.

Don't get me wrong, not putting down the deal at all. I think it's a very fair price. That engine has some great build threads on it. Forgive my poor choice of text with a video. Let me rephrase - " 3FE Engines are sweet, check the video of this one running. I'm sure yours could be there without much work" I too agree with
imyahucklbrry, it's probably not that much to get it humming.

Sounds like bad fuel. Wish I had $16k laying around.

I would wager that this is a very easy fix.

Have you tried changing the fuel filter or running some gas treatment through it?

I have not looked at the fuel filter. I pulled the fuel line at the engine and had fuel flowing.
Gas now varnishes pretty quick without treatment. Here is Vegas I can have situations with just a couple months of not running related to gas. On an 1980 FJ I had just sludge in the whole tank, I had to replace it.

About a month after it stopped running I did put some fuel stabilizer in the tank. But that was 18 months ago.

My diesels are not nearly as bad. I've never had one go bad with bad gas in 5 years, and I rarely drive them. Maybe once every 4 months.

How did you like the 3FE? Any videos of it running when it was good?

I do have a video of the first start but it's in a format( MOV ) that is not supported by this site.

I do have a video of the first start but it's in a format( MOV ) that is not supported by this site.

You can link a one drive, or if you want you can send it to me and I'll put it up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom