1971 FJ40 parts needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gmac1

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 1971 FJ40 and am looking for someone that might have this part: 31240A from this diagram. I am also looking for some brake unions as well. I am in the Northern Virginia area and recently joined this club. When my wife's dad died, we ended up with his FJ40 from Arkansas. But, it hasn't run in 20+ years and I am finding there are more parts missing than I thought so am doing a full body off frame restoration. Finding parts is sometimes a challenge. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
1622466462697.png

I have a 1971 FJ40 and am looking for someone that might have this part: 31240A from this diagram. I am also looking for some brake unions as well. I am in the Northern Virginia area and recently joined this club. When my wife's dad died, we ended up with his FJ40 from Arkansas. But, it hasn't run in 20+ years and I am finding there are more parts missing than I thought so am doing a full body off frame restoration. Finding parts is sometimes a challenge. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
View attachment 2689907
Looks like your part is available from Toyota. Here are a couple of links to help track it down / order:

Link to part:

Link to the part diagram page:
Clutch & release fork for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40LV - Genuine parts - https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/land_cruiser/fj40lv/3677/chassis/3101/31240A/

Link to the parts index for your 71:

searched my stock and no spares, you can grab one from SOR if nothing else, $12

It appears your diagram is for ‘74+, good luck with build!

View attachment 2689907

good morning gary ,

matt here

This is the factory Microfiche Diagram , refer to it

the part#'s are listed to the RH side under the call out # 31240A

- Here are ALL My springs , you are welcome to any one you need , no cost or trade involved for a fellow capital member .......fyi :)

i was under the impression TOYOTA Had DISC. NLA all these , but anything is possible these days ......

if TOYOTA dealer cannot help ?

Measure the fully closed OD or outside dimesion of how long My spring need to be i can mail you , we will compinsate for the needed pre-tension and get you hooked up square .......

Let me know how i can furtehr help in any way

kindly matt

1622469644095.png

One of springs or more are indeed clutch fork ones u need

I’m just not fresh on what particular one ?

E21A5E3A-9A74-4867-867A-8A02A10034AD.jpeg
EB236317-45D3-4B9C-B237-500D4E70A436.jpeg

i am NOT sure what is all different between a 2F and a F1.5 spring 3spd and 4apd ?

i am using toyota parts deals online quickie data base on available parts , there ONLY correct say 40% of the time ......

so don't count on there being right that's its still available the 3rd and 4th part#'s i posted ?

if both are good available #'s i STRONGLY suggest ordering BOTH , just to be safe , low cost cheap insurance parts purchase

this way at end of day your odds of getting one that will work as required are much higher %

good luck ...
matt

1622469885745.png

1622469928514.png

1622470032473.png

1622470074852.png

Untitleddenso.png

Last edited:
i am NOT sure what is all different between a 2F and a F1.5 spring 3spd and 4apd ?

i am using toyota parts deals online quickie data base on available parts , there ONLY correct say 40% of the time ......

so don't count on there being right that's its still available the 3rd and 4th part#'s i posted ?

if both are good available #'s i STRONGLY suggest ordering BOTH , just to be safe , low cost cheap insurance parts purchase

this way at end of day your odds of getting one that will work as required are much higher %

good luck ...
matt

View attachment 2689958

View attachment 2689959

View attachment 2689962

View attachment 2689963

Thanks all. Let me take a look at all the posts. I need to get a better source for accurate pictures :) as I definitely have a 71. Matt, you have quite the collection of springs. I'll let you know if I run into complete dead-ends.

Thanks all. Let me take a look at all the posts. I need to get a better source for accurate pictures :) as I definitely have a 71. Matt, you have quite the collection of springs. I'll let you know if I run into complete dead-ends.

Remember ,

partsdeal is NO deal!

they sell parts at a below market price , only to make up there loss in profit there , by marking UP shipping to you the online customer .....

or

FOR-PROFIT-SHIPPING

also , there a non-stocking inventory toyota dealer in most cases , in other words they only order your parts after you pay in full , once they receive from toyota usa PDC centers nation wide then they ship out to you

the no inventory status thing does not really bother me so much as there website and online parts catalogue implies or states many many land cruiser parts are still available to us the land cruiser people , when in reality most are long since DISC . / NLA ....

it's a creative form of Bait to lure u in to place a order , only then to be refunded the portion of parts that can't be had ......

then they retain the portion of the order that is available to any Toyota dealer nation wide .

its a Total BUZZ-KILL to get that email from them when that is the case ........

there are plenty of Toyota dealers in the Washington DC metro area to choose from locally form you , some give TLCA discounts or have a 4wd club card thing ,

also , you will NEVER pay any shipping fee;s on any special order toyota parts at any dealer you do business with in person ........

a quality online Land Cruiser Parts Vendor will have a ZERO for profit shipping cost business model or close to it as practically possible ,

i personally think Cruiser Outfitters out in salt lake city UTAH , is the bench mark Land Cruiser needed parts Source online today , and i strive to

meet the BAR they have set every day as much as i can ...........

Some facts and my suggestions to consider in your quest for needed and desired Land Cruiser parts .......... :)

Just an update in my quest for a clutch return spring. Thus far all online places that I've checked a no go (SOR have ones starting year 1974, Cool Cruisers no, various Toyota Parts websites say discontinued, City Racer no, Cruiser Parts which had one for a FJ55 but not FJ40, ). One part that Matt mentioned (90506-16297) kind of looks the same from the picture but says it won't fit a 1971 model year. At FJParts I found part # 90506-18055: Spring, Clutch Fork Return, 58-74 Land Cruiser FJ40 45 HJ45 - https://www.fjparts.com/spring-clutch-fork-return-58-74-land-cruiser-fj40-45-hj45-p-304.html That one really looks like what I am looking for but discontinued also.

From the Coolerman web site: (!Oy: Coolermans 1971 FJ40 Build - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/main.htm) the picture below looks like a match to what I have in terms of slave cylinder, motor mount placement, spring end holes, clutch fork and dust boot. His site also seems to focus on 1971 model which is what I definitely have when I went back and looked at VIN and Title. Matt, when I get a chance I’ll do some measuring (I need to reinstall some parts I currently have off...) and see if you might have a donor spring.

Good news for me: Some of the sites you all mentioned I hadn't run into before so this has been a useful quest no matter how this search turns out!!

I'm with Matt on the online vendors and some great vendors and some not so. One decent one (perhaps) I ran into this last week is Vescovo Toyota: Toyota Parts and Accessories Online - Vescovo Toyota of Las Cruces in Las Cruces, NM - https://parts.vescovotoyota.com where if you order online you get a decent discount? and currently they are offering free shipping when ordering more than $75 although limit seems to be $200. I'm finding you can spend more than $200 quickly... I did place an order a few days ago for other parts. We'll see how quickly they deliver.

Thanks again all for your assistance and patience with a very new cruiser person.

1622494574281.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom