1969FJ40 new floor & burnt eyes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All day Saturday I helped a guy build a new floor for my FJ40. He used 10-guage sheet steel. The new flooring runs from the rear sill to the fire wall. Came out great. Only problem was that at 12:30 in the morning I had to go to the emergency room becuase of flash burns on both eyes from the welding. I knew you weren't supposed to look at the arc when someone was welding (which I didn't), but I didn't know that even peripherally you can get your eyes burnt! Ooops. Spend yesterday with my eyes shut and taking Tylox. At least my floor looks awesom! I haven't picked it up yet from his shop because I haven't been able to drive. Will post some digi-pics soon.

Ya'll are gonna think im crazy but the best thing for burnt eyes is vicks save..put some under your eyes and GO TO SLEEP..when you wake up in the morning it will be much much better. I have done this several times and it really works.

Feel like somebody poured a bucket of sand in your eyes? That's what I always got if I was welding too much or I goofed off in the shop when welding was going on.

Thats why our maint. shop at work have those funky orange screen panels to weld behind.

Got that when I was 14 helping my neighbor with a custom (hacked) exhaust. Doctor told me to keep my eyes closed. Corneas heal faster than any other part of the body.

The 'tater trick does work. Looking at an arc is kinda like cheating on a test, you may not get caught at the time of the actual cheat, but when you do get caught, it HURTS.
Congrats on the new floors.
Ed :)

built half doors this summer and i shot the tack welds with the mask up looking away fr9om the weld. Then my buddy came over and i built seat frames for his 77 bronco. went out boozing afterwards and i woke up in the middle of the night thinking i had gotten into a fight. 2 days later. all was well. It f'ing hurts, and you think, damn i love being able to see, hope this goes away

Corneas heal fast if they're healthy - the entire corneal epithelium regenerates about once a week, and when you have a scratch the existing cells kind of smear over and cover it up within a day.

Take a bunch of vitamin C, like 500mg several times a day. You will heal a little faster. Also get some eye ointment - best brands are Moisture Eyes PM and Hypo Tears ointment. It's a good lube and helps the pain, but it will make things a little blurry.

I do this for my job (ophthalmologist). ;)

Hey, Sean
Waddaya think about the potato trick?
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom