1969 FJ40 1F alternator swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Last edited:
I have never put one on a Toyota, but I have I have swapped in quite a few 12si alternators. Usually mounting it is the hardest part.

I have never put one on a Toyota, but I have I have swapped in quite a few 12si alternators. Usually mounting it is the hardest part.
Mounting and the pulley. Wiring is the least of your worries.

Last edited:
I debated the 1 wire vs 3 wire on my 94 pickup which admittedly is a totally different animal. I did three wire with an internally regulated GM alternator. I had three Napa alternators with defective voltage regulators.
Does the 1 wire self regulate or is it dependent on the cruiser’s system?

I just came across this...FYI

One wire alt is exaclty that...a single wire from the ALT charge post that runs from the ALT over to the battery. I had one in my 60 for some time. The bad...unlikely you'll just find a one wire alt at the parts store if you breakdown somewhere. The good, there are no other wiring issues to contend with. IN my case I was using a single wire CS 144 ALT. It charges ok, but seems to need a few more RPMs off idle to really put out good charge. I was using a 1999 GM 5.7 Vortec engine with the single belt drive. I ran this for some time (multiple years) until I decided I wanted a standard CS144 setup I could likely buy in any parts store. ** I would be careful with the AMP meter setup as that was made for old school / low amp output.... you likely need to consult with someone on proper setup (safe) with newer high output alternators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom