13 Sequoia - lightest, simplest wheels and tires for light off-road (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting a new (to me) Sequoia ready for some camping on BLM land next summer. It'll be my DD, on sealed roads 99% of the time.

From what I've read, light, narrow tires on light, low diameter wheels are way better for stop and go (lower unsprung weight) and far better off road handling than the 20" wheels I have on there now.

Here's what I'm headed towards:

Three questions:
1. Will switching from a 20" rim to a 17" on a '13 work without needing to do anything to the brakes? With a tape measure, I'd have guessed 18 was the smallest I could fit, but I've seen others here do 17"
2. I'm really having a hard time finding weight specs for wheels, to estimate how much unsprung weight I can trim. Is there a good reference for this?
3. Anyone love/hate the Coopers?

13 Sequoia 15 tacos.png

I have a 2011 Sequoia, and I'm looking to do the same thing. However, on a vehicle as heavy and poor handling as a Sequoia, I don't want to go narrower than the stock 275 width. In any case, I wouldn't go narrower than 255, and even then, I don't think you gain anything on a vehicle this large with a tire that narrow.

The lightest wheels you'll find to fit a 2nd gen Sequoia are the 18" TRD Pro BBS wheels, at 28 lbs. At 8" wide, you'll want a 275 tire (or 285) to fit right. 275/65-18 is a factory tire size. 275/70-18 gains about 1.1" in diameter, but pretty much only come in heavy LT tires. Lightest I can find is Firestone Destination X/T at 77 lbs. In the stock 275/65-18, there are tons of tire choices, with relatively light P sizes, and virtually the same OD as the stock 275/55-20 size also.

In aftermarket wheels, the lightest with the largest offset I can find are the EvoCourse Dakar Zero, 30 lbs for 18x8.5 with +45 offset, and 28 lbs for 17x8 with +40. Next up are the OZ Rally Raid in the same sizes but 3-2 lbs heavier and with 15-10 mm less offset, respectively.

Beyond that, the Alpha Equipt options are about the same weight as above, but in wider widths and with less offset.

Last edited:
I have a 2011 Sequoia, and I'm looking to do the same thing. However, on a vehicle as heavy and poor handling as a Sequoia, I don't want to go narrower than the stock 275 width. In any case, I wouldn't go narrower than 255, and even then, I don't think you gain anything on a vehicle this large with a tire that narrow.

The lightest wheels you'll find to fit a 2nd gen Sequoia are the 18" TRD Pro BBS wheels, at 28 lbs. At 8" wide, you'll want a 275 tire (or 285) to fit right. 275/65-18 is a factory tire size. 275/70-18 gains about 1.1" in diameter, but pretty much only come in heavy LT tires. Lightest I can find is Firestone Destination X/T at 77 lbs. In the stock 275/65-18, there are tons of tire choices, with relatively light P sizes, and virtually the same OD as the stock 275/55-20 size also.

In aftermarket wheels, the lightest with the largest offset I can find are the EvoCourse Dakar Zero, 30 lbs for 18x8.5 with +45 offset, and 28 lbs for 17x8 with +40. Next up are the OZ Rally Raid in the same sizes but 3-2 lbs heavier and with 15-10 mm less offset, respectively.

Beyond that, the Alpha Equipt options are about the same weight as above, but in wider widths and with less offset.

I think Sequoia can fit 285/75r18 with minor lift, I have that size on my Tundra with stock TRD Pro suspension and it clears without any rubbing on factory BBS wheels.

One of the reason I went with that size was weight, 295/70r18 are all 70+ lb range, as well as 35x12.5, 285/75r18 should be in the low to mid 60lb range, mine was 66lbs per tire, and true OD was 35.1" , I also went with load index 129 for the tires, so far, I love it, no bmc, feels like stock and clears just about everything.

Are you going to tow anything of decent weight?

(a small utility trailer / < 3/4t doesn’t matter)

If you tow, tall sidewall tires generally never make the higher load ratings as it’s a contradiction.

IDK what you know so far but forged is stronger than cast — if you’re really trying to go 17’s the Rock Warrior wheels are that.

My lift spindles made the RW wheels not fit, but I’m not selling.
I hear the market is getting tough to find parts / you need a real RW VIN# to order them now from a dealership. 🙄

The 200 guys are well versed in all things RW wheels / parts.

Buy a set that are cosmetically ugly from UV - I would & paint the TRD caps silver - screw the red fading.

Unless you want to burn over $2K for some forged wheels, then you can pick your offset & get crazy - I like Ray’s wheels but I doubt there’s a bolt & offset sized for our 4WD’s - never looked.

I'm waiting on a set of 18" evocorse dakarzero. Hardly any options on the 5x150 bolt pattern at an offset higher than +25.

I like the look of them and they have a great load rating.

I see a lot of people running 17's but it's tight around the caliper and I've ready (maybe on here) you have to watch where the guy balancing the tires and wheels puts the weights as sometimes they can be knocked off since they are so close to the caliper. I went with the 18's as I prefer the look but there are reasons to go more rubber less wheel.

I can't wait for them to show up, already have a set of 275/70r18 ko2's... All the snow is going to be gone by the time they get here!

Sequoia runs larger rotors like ones on Tundra (353mm) vs 340mm on the LC200, but 17" Tundra steelies are heavy, they are almost 35lbs each.

I just ordered a set of Method 316's 18x9 5x150 +18 offset........they weigh 27.8lbs!!
Got a set of Venom Power 275/70/18 tires sitting in my garage waiting for the Methods to show up!!

IDK what you know so far but forged is stronger than cast — if you’re really trying to go 17’s the Rock Warrior wheels are that.

These are by far the lightest at about 24lbs each.

These are by far the lightest at about 24lbs each.

Exactly why the set/4 my RW truck had aren’t FS - I expect I’ll add a 200 at some point & want them for that purpose.

I’m loosely hunting a single 5th to add as a spare.

Reactions: GTV
I wish American racing would come out with some Tundra/Sequoia friendly steelies. I'd love some soft 8s on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom