13 LX570 Whistle Sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

Question. My family and I are in the middle of a road trip and the car suddenly started making a loud whistle-like sound. Gets worse as you accelerate then goes away as you coast. Drove for about an hour, pulled over and not a single noise, drove for another 30 min and it making a faint noise at idle. I'm not planning on returning home till Monday with another 500m to go. I'm watching the water temp like a hawk, the truck was services at 90K and nobody said a word about belts going out.

Is this something that could fail quickly or can I make it home to Dallas, where I can look for a good shop.

I have wind noise from my mirrors. There is a piece of plastic that comes loose on the bottom of the side mirrors. I used scotch tape to fix it.

I have wind noise from my mirrors. There is a piece of plastic that comes loose on the bottom of the side mirrors. I used scotch tape to fix it.
I wish, this is coming from the engine for sure.

Is the volume and intensity related to engine speed? Or ground speed?

Could it be some undercover came loose and catching wind?

Vehicle speed. I'm assuming this either a pulley or the v belt going out. Although I thought 200s have chain belts.

If vehicle speed, I'm much less inclined to think it's the engine. Definitely not pulley, belts, or chains, as all those would be associated with engine speed (rpm).

Look around the undertray, wheel wells, bumper. Is the hood shut tightly? It's likely something is ajar in just a way that it's causing the whistle as the air passes through it.

If vehicle speed, I'm much less inclined to think it's the engine. Definitely not pulley, belts, or chains, as all those would be associated with engine speed (rpm).

Look around the undertray, wheel wells, bumper. Is the hood shut tightly? It's likely something is ajar in just a way that it's causing the whistle as the air passes through it.
I was thinking it was the belt as the noise still happens at idle, via acceleration it does increase in intensity. Wouldn't that be belt related?

If it's happening at idle, then okay, I'm following that it's more likely the engine.

It could be the accessory belt as you're suggesting that's slipping. The interaction with vehicle speed could be the belt trying to drive the radiator fan. You don't want this belt to break as yes, it'll then have impact to the water pump, alternator, power steering, etc.

It's a basic thing for most mechanics to check out. If I had to fathom a guess, could be the tensioner failing?

If it's happening at idle, then okay, I'm following that it's more likely the engine.

It could be the accessory belt as you're suggesting that's slipping. The interaction with vehicle speed could be the belt trying to drive the radiator fan. You don't want this belt to break as yes, it'll then have impact to the water pump, alternator, power steering, etc.

It's a basic thing for most mechanics to check out. If I had to fathom a guess, could be the tensioner failing?
You think it is something that fails quickly or can nurse carefully for 500 miles?

It'll depend on how severe it is. If it's squeaking loudly, that's not a great sign. It would be hard to internet armchair and say if it can make it. Very well could.

You can take off the engine covers and should be able to localize where the sound is coming from if its happening at idle. It could also be a bearing failing that dragging the belt. Or coolant weeping and wetting the belt. It can be lots of different causes.

It'll depend on how severe it is. If it's squeaking loudly, that's not a great sign. It would be hard to internet armchair and say if it can make it. Very well could.

You can take off the engine covers and should be able to localize where the sound is coming from if its happening at idle. It could also be a bearing failing that dragging the belt. Or coolant weeping and wetting the belt. It can be lots of different causes.
Thanks, I will try to check it tomorrow.

I noticed a similar noise during acceleration. I have a video of it here: Help me identify this noise

Using "ECT" switch helps a bit but it is still audible. My workaround is to just turn up the radio :rofl:

Someone didn’t slap a supercharger on there when you weren’t paying attention did they?

I agree this sounds like a belt/tensioner/idler/fan issue. Inspect it closely for tears or cracks, watch your water temperature closely, and carry on. It can be pretty tough to help diagnose these things remotely.. when someone with some experience gets a look at it you’ll be better off. But it doesn’t seem like a common issue.. usually whistling on the freeway is caused by incorrect trim around the windshield

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom