'13 Cruiser...Front Door Mirrors Going Crazy. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hankinid

SILVER Star
Threads
All of a sudden and without me touching the mirror controls, both sides fold in completely when the engine is started. Controls have no effect as the mirrors click into place.

The only fix is to roll down each window and push the mirrors out until they click open. The open "clicks" a bit mushy...maybe 1/4" slop back and forth.

The mirror haven't hit anything and I'm the only driver.

Any help would be appreciated.

All of a sudden and without me touching the mirror controls, both sides fold in completely when the engine is started. Controls have no effect as the mirrors click into place.

The only fix is to roll down each window and push the mirrors out until they click open. The open "clicks" a bit mushy...maybe 1/4" slop back and forth.

The mirror haven't hit anything and I'm the only driver.

Any help would be appreciated.
I had a similar issue on my 2013 but only the passenger side mirror and other have too. The actuator inside was bad which I replaced. The fact that both of your mirrors are wigging out at the same time suggest there may be something else going on. The odds of both side failing at the same time seems low. That said, there are little circuit boards in the mirror, inside the retract actuator that could get fried for some reason and maybe, whatever that reason is fried both of yours at the same time. (total guess). Anyway, here is a link of my repair showing how to take the mirror apart and replace the actuator assembly. Much cheaper than a new $900 mirror. Mine has worked fine after I replaced the actuator.

how to replace the retract actuator in side mirror

I had a similar issue on my 2013 but only the passenger side mirror and other have too. The actuator inside was bad which I replaced. The fact that both of your mirrors are wigging out at the same time suggest there may be something else going on. The odds of both side failing at the same time seems low. That said, there are little circuit boards in the mirror, inside the retract actuator that could get fried for some reason and maybe, whatever that reason is fried both of yours at the same time. (total guess). Anyway, here is a link of my repair showing how to take the mirror apart and replace the actuator assembly. Much cheaper than a new $900 mirror. Mine has worked fine after I replaced the actuator.

how to replace the retract actuator in side mirror
Good tech.

In your experience, do you think an overcurrent situation in one of the motors for some reason could cook the control system for both? Just an idea.

@hankinid Whatever you figure out I'd definitely troubleshoot the switch in the dash too. I agree it's odd for both to go crazy at the same time.

Good tech.

In your experience, do you think an overcurrent situation in one of the motors for some reason could cook the control system for both? Just an idea.

@hankinid Whatever you figure out I'd definitely troubleshoot the switch in the dash too. I agree it's odd for both to go crazy at the same time.
Good tech.

Man, I don’t know. Maybe??? When mine was wigging out I first thought it was some hidden auto retract feature that somehow got turned on but the 2013 has no such feature. It wasn’t until I found the circuit board inside that I realized it could a guy have a mind of it’s own.

for the OP dual failure situation, maybe something caused a power surge to both mirrors which fried them both. If so, that would be good to figure out before repairing the mirrors as the actual root cause could still be unaddressed. I don’t have any good ideas as to what that might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom