12ht water temp average and help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chappohj47

Chappo Built
Threads
I had a very strange thing happen today I drove about 5 minutes and started reversing in my dads steep drive way and stalled the ute so started and put in low range and made it up and stopped and got out and there was heaps of coolantpooring out of my ute all out the over flow bottle the poped the bonnet and the radiator cap came off and water went everywhere so I waited about ten minutes and turned the ute around and got it running again and started filling it back up with water to get home and my temp gauge went just above half then the thermostat must have opened and it cooled down back to where it sits just about quarter on the gauge and I drove home and the gauge didn't move at all just sat where it normally does so I dont know what happened but it was weird so I will get my mechanic mate to change and flush the coolant and check everything

I also want to put in a temp gauge to see what it actually is in Celsius where is the best spot to put the sensor and what average are you guys reading water temp at with aftermarket gauges

There's not a great place on the 12HT to add a water temp sensor. We put ours in the upper reservoir of the radiator, right by the radiator inlet.

Ours typically indicates just under 190 degrees F, unless we're going downhill a lot. In which case the T-stat is rarely open and it will get cooler and cooler until we get to go back uphill. Going up long, steep grades (like Raton Pass)--about 4% grades for 10 miles at a stretch it will get up to 205F, on a hot day. Middle of the winter and it will be 190F solidly all the time.

The 12HT runs very cool.

This assumes that you have an 88C thermostat. We also have an 82C thermostat, but that's too cool for our tastes (the heaver is only lukewarm like that).

How is your fan clutch? My guess is that's where your problem is.

Dan

I changed the thermostat this morning to a 82C and the temp gauge still says 1/2 where it always sat at 1/4 so and we had one of those laser thermometers on the thermostats housing it was reading 81 to to 84 but I will take it to the mechanics in the morning and get new long life coolant and get everything checked because on way to dads again I went to the shops and came out and the overflow was coming out the top again yet the radiator was cold

Maybe your radiator is blocked. I use those Engine Watchdogs from Ebay. Takes 5-10 mins to install them and they last

I had one of those in my 80 series

Where did you put your connector

If coolant is overflowing in the overflow tank its most likely a head gasket failiure pressurising the cooling system

To make sure you can test the coolant for exhaust gasses your mechanic should have the tool to perform this test

Hmmm both good suggestions with the blocked rad and head gasket.
I'd likely pursue the radiator first because it's easier and cheaper to test and you can the gas test at the same time but you may have to nurse it around chappo.
Did you replace the hoses as well? Sometimes they can collapse and block.
Head gasket should be fairly (somewhat) evident with an open rad cap and gas bubbles in the fluid but I'm yet to do a busted head gasket on a 12ht.

Thanks crick I am definitely nursing it around I am getting hoses replaced tomorrow and coolant has new thermostat if I get paid soon I will just replace all cooling system with new parts so I know the condition of everything because I will be keeping this ute for along time seeing that it only has about 6000kms on the rebuilt motor it deserves new parts for it

I also want to put in a temp gauge to see what it actually is in Celsius where is the best spot to put the sensor and what average are you guys reading water temp at with aftermarket gauges

There's not a great place on the 12HT to add a water temp sensor. We put ours in the upper reservoir of the radiator, right by the radiator inlet.

This is where I put mine :

DSCF7225.JPG

... on the rear hose heater outlet. To have an accurate read, I have to put and left the rear heater valve to ''high'' to ensure a constant flow. My readings are the same as DanS HJ-45.

I had one of those in my 80 series

Where did you put your connector

I had it on the coolant outlet spout bolt on a 1HZ. On a 12HT you could fix it to one of the bolts that holds the thermostat down.
My plan is to run 2 of them with the other at the bottom radiator hose inlet so I can see the difference in the coolant temperature after it has passed through the radiator.
It would also tell you when the t/stat has opened.

I had it on the coolant outlet spout bolt on a 1HZ. On a 12HT you could fix it to one of the bolts that holds the thermostat down.
My plan is to run 2 of them with the other at the bottom radiator hose inlet so I can see the difference in the coolant temperature after it has passed through the radiator.
It would also tell you when the t/stat has opened.

That's a good idea rosco I might do the same thing

Hey rosco what model of the watch dog do you have

Hey Chappo why don't you wheel it to my place and I'll tell you it's the head gasket and reluctantly take it off your hands.... That could work.

At the moment I would sell it to you $17000 the price

Well $550 later and the ute seems to be good new radiator new hoses coolant thermostat and it seems to run under 1/4 on the gauge now so I'm back on the road

So your radiator was blocked?

We were pretty sure we fixed it with the new thermostat I took it to the mechanics just to be sure and he sent the radiator across the road and they unsoldered it and It had a blockage so they re cored it

Uusally , blocked cores will give themselves away by having hot and cold spots across the face of the radiator. One trick is to lightly spray cold water on it and where it doesn't evaporate is the blockage.
Did they put a new core in or clean the old one?

New core

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom