12ht or 1hz into my 66lv (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i've made my mind up on the diesel, now i just need to find the right one. i'm currently talking to too tall about his 1hz https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-jdm-parts/189548-1hz.html
i don't know anything about mine trucks, so if i need to look for something else please tell me. i plan on running power steering and a/c in the truck.

i haven't found a 40 series with a 1hz conversion and don't know if it will even fit. any suggestions, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

my ideal setup would be a 12ht with an auto, but i don't know where i could find one right now and i really need to have an engine by the end of next month.

I believe you have the import option .. an engine from Canada could be a option .. I've seen few complete drivetrain in SOR and few other places around here ..

Coolcruisers, Cruiserparts etc ..

i've made my mind up on the diesel, now i just need to find the right one. i'm currently talking to too tall about his 1hz https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-jdm-parts/189548-1hz.html
i don't know anything about mine trucks, so if i need to look for something else please tell me. i plan on running power steering and a/c in the truck.

i haven't found a 40 series with a 1hz conversion and don't know if it will even fit. any suggestions, thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

my ideal setup would be a 12ht with an auto, but i don't know where i could find one right now and i really need to have an engine by the end of next month.
Hi,I assume you have a LHD FJ40, if you put a 12HT (135HP) in the turbo will hit the oem PS box so you will need to put a Sag or 60 series PS box further up the front of the chassis.If you buy a 2H (105HP)and do an after market turbo (140HP)you would be ok but need to do a rebuild on the 2H first if you turbo.40 series Troopies came out with 2H's in them and the 12HT is variant of the 2H, designed to be turbo'd, so the install is quite common.The 1HZ is less common as a transplant in a FJ so unless you really up to it their is not a lot of info out there to help you along.

i've located a 1hz/h55, and i'm always up for a challenge, but will definitely be looking to mud for advice. i've seen where some have run their steering shaft through a pillow block and this doesn't seem like a bad idea if it's needed. i have no problem doing the sag conversion, but i guess all that will have to be figured out after the engine is crammed in there.

Last edited:
Hi,

The HZ1 & H55 is large engine/tranny combo, make sure it fits and clears the firewall. I would then pull it out and do what models on steering is need because you will not have much room to get your hands in.

I have attached a photo, I do not have a heater fan and you will also need to check your battery as it is on the LH side and you may need to alter the air cleaner as well.
engine.jpg

thanks for the tips. i am planning on fitting it in, doing all the necessary welding, pulling it out and then coating the engine bay with por-15 and also adding some insulation. i have a vintage air unit, so my heater box is in the cab. i guess i can get creative with the battery, or i can always mount it inside the cab, as there is plenty of room in the 4 door wagon. air cleaner as well, will have to be worked out once the engine is in there. what else should i be concerned about? this is the kind of info i need. thanks.

HI,

If you FJ is petrol, then make sure you get the wiring harness and the new ignition switch, it will make your life a lot easier.

You will need the alternator because the vacumm pump is on the back of it which supplies the vacumm for your brakes, you need the vacumm cannister as well and also the inline fuel/water filter.

Keep us posted.

Just a quick FYI.
The 1 HZ doesn't have a vacuum pump mounted on the back of the altenator. It's fitted inside the timing cover under the Injection pump.

I know of several 40/45's with 1 HZ's and it makes for a very clean enginebay. No wiring mess etc. I believe the only problem area is the starter motor. But i'm not completely sure.

I choose a 12HT over a 1HZ because is has more power and is easily tweaked without losing relyability. But all in all a 1HZ is a very good engine.

Mark

after posting on mud i was offered a 2h/auto for a better price and closer to home. i'm thinking of going with this engine. what are your thoughts on this swap? i do understand the 12v/24v problems and plan on changing everything to 12v except the starter and using a solenoid to apply 24 volts to it. as far as power steering, i would run the shaft to a pillow block bearing mounted on the frame rail, so i can eventually put a turbo on it if i want to.

also, since the title says 12ht i should let you know i can't find one.

watrob, as far as power steering goes, when you say i'll be ok if i go with a 2h and aftermarket turbo does that mean the steering shaft will not hit the turbo? would a factory power steering conversion work?

Last edited:
I'm the proud and happy 2H -T owner .. and have no steering box shaft issues in my turbo setup ..

Tapage, are you LHD or RHD.

If your LHD and turbo kit a 2H you don't have a problem, its with the 12HT and the factory turbo & exhaust pipe that gets in the way of the PS box on a LHD.

I noticed that troopy said that he would take a 12HT over a 1HZ because of reliability problems with putting a turbo on the 1HZ. Is this because of the lack of piston skirt cooling on the 1HZ? And can you turbo the 1HZ without losing reliability? And I mean a pretty mild turbo to help with mileage and just keeping it moving, not crazy horsepower and torque.

I noticed that troopy said that he would take a 12HT over a 1HZ because of reliability problems with putting a turbo on the 1HZ. Is this because of the lack of piston skirt cooling on the 1HZ? And can you turbo the 1HZ without losing reliability? And I mean a pretty mild turbo to help with mileage and just keeping it moving, not crazy horsepower and torque.
]

Hi, the 1HZ has had some problems with there bottom end. Turboing a 1HZ or a 2H a full rebuild should be done first as these engine are getting fairly old. Most 2H's that get turbo without these rebuild tend to break heads.

If it was me I would get a 12HT, if not available a 2H, do a full rebuild then turbo kit it. My last choice would be a 1HZ to turbo.

I've got a 1HZ/H55F in my 1965 45 troopy. It fits fine with FJ60 power steering. I'm SOA and running 35's no problem. I am still NA and I can run 75mph all day long at 6,000 feet.

Turbo it and she'll run like a raped ape.

I would like to turbo mine someday but it is some $$$.

Good luck.

I've got a 1HZ/H55F in my 1965 45 troopy. It fits fine with FJ60 power steering. I'm SOA and running 35's no problem. I am still NA and I can run 75mph all day long at 6,000 feet.

Turbo it and she'll run like a raped ape.

I would like to turbo mine someday but it is some $$$.

Good luck.

If your going to run a 1HZ there is no need to turbo it, its got plenty of power anyway.

I think everyone is getting a little turbo happy, these 6 cyl diesels have so much torque a turbo on them in a FJ is not required. My $0.02

I noticed that troopy said that he would take a 12HT over 1HZ 1HZ because of reliability problems with putting a turbo on the 1HZ. Is this because of the lack of piston skirt cooling on the 1HZ? And can you turbo the 1HZ without losing reliability? And I mean a pretty mild turbo to help with mileage and just keeping it moving, not crazy horsepower and torque.

aThe downside to turboing(or supercharging) is the high temps that build up in the combustion chamber.
If you can keep that temp down by watching the EGT gauge and easing off the pedal when need be,you wont have problems.

Your requirements sound like you are a good candidate for a turbo

]

Hi, the 1HZ has had some problems with there bottom end. .

I have yet to see any evidence of that unless you are talking about turboed versions driven by lead foots

If your going to run a 1HZ there is no need to turbo it, its got plenty of power anyway.

I think everyone is getting a little turbo happy, these 6 cyl diesels have so much torque a turbo on them in a FJ is not required. My $0.02

I am happy with my 1HZ in its non-turbo'd form. I would just like a little more umph to get me over the mountain passes a little faster. I crawl mountain passes at about 40 mph but I'm still passing older VW's.

I am happy with my 1HZ in its non-turbo'd form. I would just like a little more umph to get me over the mountain passes a little faster. I crawl mountain passes at about 40 mph but I'm still passing older VW's.

I sometimes call the 1HZ "THE ENGINE OF THE APOCALYPSE" because it is the engine I would choose if I had to disappear into the desert to escape the zombie virus:D

What about the fuel solenoid on the rotary pumps ? Do they ever fail? I was thinking about this the other day as I dont have a spare and I do take trips to places where I dont see anyone for days. The inline pump engines dont need any electricity at all to run.

Not sure it would survive and EMP in your apocalypse scenario rosco.

What about the fuel solenoid on the rotary pumps ? Do they ever fail? I was thinking about this the other day as I dont have a spare and I do take trips to places where I dont see anyone for days. The inline pump engines dont need any electricity at all to run.

Not sure it would survive and EMP in your apocalypse scenario rosco.

There is a lot more things to go wrong other than a fuel solenoid. If your gone for that long and alone get a Sat phone so then you can order your parts.:grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom