12H-T (2H) oil filters (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am getting ready to change the oil and I want to buy a stash of filters. Anyone have the specs on the original Toyota filter.? I was surprised at the amount of difference of the available filters. Particularly the bypass valve settings

From what I understand, good oil filters feature valves that allow oil to bypass the oil filter during cold starts, or if the filter becomes plugged. I know from cutting open different manufactures oil filters, sometimes they don't even have bypass valves. As these filters trap debris, oil pressure starvation can occur, leading to high oil pressures, failed gaskets and even engine damage. If the setting is too high, the filter's paper element can be damaged during a cold start rendering it useless, or cause oil starvation to the engine. Of course the anti-drain check valve is an important feature too. Couldn't find micron readings either; unless they're back in the general section of the literature.

FWIW, I currently have a Fleetguard on. I'd welcome any comments.

This is a summary of what I found on the net:

TOYOTA 15601-68010
No info

Donaldson P550707
OD: 4.27”
Height: 5.63”
Thread: M30 X 1.5
Gasket OD: 3.3”
Relief Setting: 18-21 PSI
Anti-drain valve: Yes
Micron rating:

Fleetguard LF 3399
OD: 4.239”
Height: 5.715”
Thread: M30 X 1.5-6H INT
BPV Setting: 32.49 PSI
Micron rating:

Luberfiner LFP923
OD: 4.28”
Height: 5.69”
Thread: M30 x 1.5
Micron rating:

NAPA Gold 1627
OD: 4.252”
Height: 5.571”
Thread: 30 x 1.50mm
Gasket ID: 3”
Gasket OD: 3.4”
Gasket Thickness: 0.31”
Micron rating:

WIX 51627
OD: 4.252”
Height: 5.571”
Thread: 30 x 1.50mm
Gasket ID: 3”
Gasket OD: 3.4”
Gasket Thickness: 0.31”
By-Pass Valve Setting: 10 PSI
Micron rating:

Fram PH4704
No web info

Baldwin BT 221
O.D. : 4 1/4"
Height : 5 5/8"
Thread : M30 x 1.5
By-pass valve : 32 PSI

Last edited:
I used a Balwin filter, cross referenced it with the fleetgaurd. Do you have any info on them?

Good catch, I see baldwin here all the tim in the mill. Added to the list.

Mike

Looks like the Wix and Napa Gold are one and the same, which is what I had understood.

Have you been to the filter study site?

gb

If you mean the guy who cut open a bunch of ford 5.0 liter filters, yes... Have bookmarked at home. Will add link tonight. Did you see the backpressure that the Wix/NAPA opens at? 10 psi seems kind of low, but that may depend on the pressure drop across the filtering medium. Might be good for Winter starts though.

expat said:
If you mean the guy who cut open a bunch of ford 5.0 liter filters, yes... Have bookmarked at home. Will add link tonight. Did you see the backpressure that the Wix/NAPA opens at? 10 psi seems kind of low, but that may depend on the pressure drop across the filtering medium. Might be good for Winter starts though.

I mean the Oil Filter Study in which a fellow took a bunch of different brands and compared them. It seems to have disappeared from the web though. Lawyers might have had something to do with it. Does anyone know where it is hiding?

This is the old link: http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

hth's

gb

Greg_B said:
Looks like that's the one I was referring to, at a new location.

Thanks for the new link!

gb

Interestingly enough the study uses the Ford 5.0 V8 which is the same filters used in toyota 2F, 1FZ, and 3B. probably others, but defenently not the 2H (and probably 12HT) engines that filter is huge.

Michael

tlcruiserman said:
Interestingly enough the study uses the Ford 5.0 V8 which is the same filters used in toyota 2F, 1FZ, and 3B. probably others, but defenently not the 2H (and probably 12HT) engines that filter is huge.

Michael

Yep, that's how I originally found it, looking to see if all of the oil filters had a anti-drain back valve. Very important for the 2f since it's (dare I say BAD) oil filter orientation.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom