11.4 MPG. Is that normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just over 15 mpg on a mostly freeway, road trip.

2003, stock everything

According to my computer, I get around 12.5. Makes me wonder if I could do better before 33s

I average 9mpg city with front and rear ARB steel bumpers 9.5 winch and slee sliders on 35’s. And I feather the gas pedal!!! Maybe 12mph on the highway at 70-75mph It’s the price you have to pay to wear all the steel.....

I am averaging the same. 2002 l.c with tundra take-off rims and tires. 32.6 diameter (i believe). Im not too concerned as imm livinig the east-bay area (ca) and its alot of stop and go/idling/and keeping up as to not block the flow of aggressive traffic. I got 14-15 mpg traveling all highway from east bay to las vegas both ways (all highway). I know my calculations are off a little because of the tire size, but im not too concerned. Im more concerned in buying a manual transmission reliable hooptie i can daily while i build/enjoy the cruiser for family outings/adventures.

seems low even for stop n go 10 miles. unless your drag racing the start of every green. These are heavy ass trucks. What tire pressure are you running, this plays a role as well. You need to find that happy spot in air/ride comfort vs MPG. 42psi here, trails are 25

Average tank is 275 when 5gal light comes on, before correction for 33" tires 13.75mpg mixed driving, corrected is 14.8

pure freeway roadtrip is 310 before correction =15.5, corrected is 16.4

Add in more hills/mts and it may drop a bit pend how steep n long they are.

Got my 2001 LC100 2 weeks ago. It's pretty much stock everything except has some light OME suspension. Been using premium 93 in TX. Last 2 fillups calculate it at 14.6 MPG. half city, half tollway doing 70-75 to work and back and then running errands around town. I'm pretty happy with that I guess. I was expecting worse.

I got my 2006 Land Cruiser with 197K miles on the odometer, have driven 7500+ miles since. I'm excited because I took a road trip and had my first 300+ mile tank - 305 miles on trip odometer, 327 miles in reality due to 33" tires. Worked out to 17.6 MPG. Next highest ever was 15.0 mpg - so very favorable winds, all highway, light load, flat roads, but did drive 80+ for stretches. Maybe wasn't super consistent with filling tank to first pump click vs 4th pump click, mileage is just too high. But the total miles on tank is very real and first time over 300 on trip meter. My lifetime (over 7500 miles) MPG in mixed driving is 12.9 MPG.

Oh, and on this tank I was sideswiped at 82 MPH while driving on I-10 towards Houston. I was in left lane probably only 2 car lengths behind another car going same speed (fairly heavy traffic), car shot up on right coming up fast on car in that lane probably going 70-75 (speed limit 75) and tried to squeeze left between the car in front of me and I. Problem was their rear door (sedan) hadn't even cleared my bumper. Hit me and they over reacted, braked, spun on interstate at 70MPH +. I was bumped over maybe a foot, no big deal, slowed, got right and stopped on shoulder. I saw car in median a tenth of a mile back and assumed it was car that hit me. After cops came they said that car had no damage, innocent bystander, and car that hit me fled. Can't believe no one else got hit, heavy traffic and spinning car. Can't believe car recovered and drove away with me not noticing. Bent my front right fender but not that noticeable, Cruiser protected me well. WIsh I had aftermarket front bumper, it would have protected fender.

Oh, and on this tank I was sideswiped at 82 MPH while driving on I-10 towards Houston. I was in left lane probably only 2 car lengths behind another car going same speed (fairly heavy traffic), car shot up on right coming up fast on car in that lane probably going 70-75 (speed limit 75) and tried to squeeze left between the car in front of me and I. Problem was their rear door (sedan) hadn't even cleared my bumper. Hit me and they over reacted, braked, spun on interstate at 70MPH +. I was bumped over maybe a foot, no big deal, slowed, got right and stopped on shoulder. I saw car in median a tenth of a mile back and assumed it was car that hit me. After cops came they said that car had no damage, innocent bystander, and car that hit me fled. Can't believe no one else got hit, heavy traffic and spinning car. Can't believe car recovered and drove away with me not noticing. Bent my front right fender but not that noticeable, Cruiser protected me well. WIsh I had aftermarket front bumper, it would have protected fender.
That sucks! Glad you're ok. Hope the damage is minimal. I'm in Austin. Drivers in TX have gotten worse and worse. This is why I'm selling off my road bikes. I hear about a lot of hit and runs in ATX these days. Should be a hangable offense.

It's a touch low, but within the normal range. They seem to prefer long stretches of a steady 65mph (at least with the 5spd) to get optimal MPG. I usually do 75-80 and get about 12 no matter what other variables are included (excepting a stiff headwind which will knock me down to the 10s).

I wouldn’t say the gas tanks on the 100 series are huge. Quite the opposite. They are surprisingly small considering the s***ty mpg. Any car should be able to do 300-400 miles on a tank. That’s why the F150s come with like a 34 gallon tank. They consume a lot of gas but you at last don’t have to be reminded of it by having to fill up every day. And “mixing it up” for god know what kind of scientific reason between 89 and 93 gas will give you a pretty crappy read on what your economy is. Fill it up with one type of gas all the way and drive it 50 miles more after the gas light goes on. Then fill it up again. That’s how you tell. Better yet, do that 5 times on the same type of back and forth commute, because even if you go up hill to work, you’re going down hill going home so hills are accounted for.

I got my 2006 Land Cruiser with 197K miles on the odometer, have driven 7500+ miles since. I'm excited because I took a road trip and had my first 300+ mile tank - 305 miles on trip odometer, 327 miles in reality due to 33" tires. Worked out to 17.6 MPG. Next highest ever was 15.0 mpg - so very favorable winds, all highway, light load, flat roads, but did drive 80+ for stretches. Maybe wasn't super consistent with filling tank to first pump click vs 4th pump click, mileage is just too high. But the total miles on tank is very real and first time over 300 on trip meter. My lifetime (over 7500 miles) MPG in mixed driving is 12.9 MPG.
Question, I noticed you adjusted your trip to 327 miles ( 7% increase from original reading), I always thought when going to a 33" tires it is only a 5% increase in circumference from stock, therefore only increase the actual odometer trip by 5%.

Was my math wrong the whole entire time? lol.

Question, I noticed you adjusted your trip to 327 miles ( 7% increase from original reading), I always thought when going to a 33" tires it is only a 5% increase in circumference from stock, therefore only increase the actual odometer trip by 5%.

Was my math wrong the whole entire time? lol.

It matters by tire as the tires with same tire size may not have equal circumference - the manufacturer publishes the circumference and that should be used. I can't remember where I got stock circumference though, or if I verified also by highway mile markers or gps. I did just look at my spreadsheet and I'm adjusting by 7.0% - I must have rounded a bit as i doubt it's a true .0 adjustment. I know the stock tire size but don't think I found the manufacturer or what they stated the circumference was - anyone have that? When doing 70 on speedo GPS says ~75.

On my 275/70/18's (slightly larger than 33's) I adjust mileage by 4%. So when truck odometer says 100 mile traveled, I calculate 104 miles traveled.

Inflating mileage by 7% sounds high for tires in the 33" neighborhood.

Again, the MOST accurate is to get the manufacturer's listed circumference for the exact tire you are using - would need both the stock tires that came with the LX and the current.

However, in absence of that, you can use a tool such as https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator . The stock 2007 LX tire, based on my quick google anyway, was a 275/60R18, yours is a 275/70R18. If you plug those sizes into the tool you get circumferences of 97.39 and 104.18, respectively, for a difference of 6.79".

6.79/97.39 = 0.0697 or 6.79%

I get about 12-13 mpg's (adjusted) on mine in normal LA traffic. I've can get 15.5 mpg's on a long freeway drive doing a steady 75.

I’m in line with others here...about 13mpg city and 16mpg highway. the highway mpg was a long trip with 3 adults, 3 kids, and truck packed to the max and me driving between 70-75mph. with wife driving, it would dip down between 14-15mpg on the highway.

I don't know how some of you guys are getting such high MPG. I have to drive 60mph around 1900RPM on my 4speed to get 13ish MPG. Just have 33" and sliders.

Sounds about right. Only thing I ever did that helped was when I removed my roof rack. (I suspect the factory estimate was without the rack). I decided to not care anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom