100% torn on what to do in regards to new 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some advice. My wife and I’s 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is coming up on its lease. We have a 6 month old little girl and want to move towards something a little more comfortable yet retain some ‘character.’ 4Runner fits that perfectly.

Here’s my dilemma. I’m pretty sure I want something new that we can keep for a long time. I know a GSM at a local dealer who’s essentially going to give us a 4Runner at invoice less holdback. It’s literally going to be 4500-5000 off sticker which is ridiculous for a 4Runner with zero factory incentives.

Here are my concerns.

1. Long term value considering a 6th gen is on the horizon. What do you all think? If they go unibody on the new 4Runner I think ours stay rock solid.

2. The woefully outdated radio. I’ve solved this I believe. There is a guy who put in an alpine halo9 in his and it looks very sharp.

3. Semi stupid. AC/Cooled Seats. These are a near must for us as we are in Tennessee. I am set on a SR5 Premium model. It has the softex pleather. I’ve seen where Katzkin leather offers a ventilated seat option called degreez. I’d be fine buying the bottom seat cushion perforated covers. Getting a tan interior. I think it would match well enough for me.

4. 2020 looks to be a 5th gen as well. It looks like it was get TSS too.

What do you all think?

Just tell your wife that consumer reports rated the GX as the most reliable vehicle of 2018. Pretentious or not, that's got to be worth something. 😀 Oddly enough, the 4R did not make the list.

My 2019 GX Premium was $8k off sticker...shop around, there are deals to be had. After driving both, I think the GX is superior to the 4Runner in every way.

Yup, yup and yup! Also got the 8k off list here on the 2018. Those deals are probably gone though but worth looking around for.

2019 should have deals soon with any holidays holidays, also keep an eye out for factory deals on Lexus.com.

I hate to have to chime in Alex1118, but all the above comments are true!
I have a 2013 GX 460 Premium and my neighbors have a 2017 4Runner they purchased new, top of the line, whatever that is.
My GX is a FAR more comfortable vehicle AND you'll have the third row seats without have to pay extra for them. If you're a young family, I can almost guarantee you will be needing the extra seats if you plan on keeping the vehicle as long as you mention.
Regarding the seat thing, the GX Premium in 2013 had three climate zones and ventilated front seats. Not sure if the standard 2019 models come with that or if it's still an added option.

My friends seats are not nearly as comfortable as the GX nor are they ventilated or multi climate zones. Seriously, go to a Lexus dealer and have you and your wife plant your butt in a GX and then go straight to a Toyota dealer and do the same. No comparison...

Regarding long term value, it's a wash, both the GX and 4Runners hold their values well! Not like Bimmers, Merc's, Audi's and other premium SUV's out there. They're value folds faster then Superman doing laundry!

And let's not forget a V8! More towing power and a slightly more HP to weight ratio than the 4Runner. Okay so MPG is not as good, but think about what 2 to 4 MPH gains you in your wallet! Maybe an extra Happy Meal at the end of the year? Especially where you live, you have about the cheapest gas in the country out there!

And if you're looking to gussie up your rig, take a look at some of the GX builds on this site, including mine.

Note: I'm not Toyota nor 4Runner bashing, I love them! My wife and I just came off of two Toyota 100 series Landcruisers (his and her's). I purchased the 2013 GX 460 premium for myself and she bought a shiny red 4x4 TRD Toyota Tacoma crewcab so we have a truck to tote around our surfboards, paddle boards, skis, etc. when we're not out exploring off road with my GX. We truly love them both!

Last edited:
2020 4Runner model gets some updates, although still nothing powertrain wise. But they do get an updated dash and modern radio system with carplay and android auto. No pictures yet that i've seen of the new center stack. The dash cluster is basically a direct copy from the Prado 150. The only meaningful change is the little screen in the middle.

Otherwise I think it'll be a lot like the current version.

I don't foresee a 6th gen until around 2022 or 2023. So you may be waiting a while for a 6th gen 4Runner. I'm sure there will be a depreciation hit on the 5th gen unless the 6th gen has something very odd or bad. IMO it's very unlikely it'll be a unibody. The highlander already fills that space. It should stay BOF. My bet is that the 6th gen will be a 2.5ish 4cyl turbo and 8AT. But who knows?

The 4th Gen 4runners--including the ones near the end of that gen--are holding their value, so I'm guessing the 5th gen will as well when the 6th gen is introduced, and may even be preferable to the 6th gen based on your own personal preferences. Personally, I'm inclined to avoid Years 1 and 2 of a new gen, as that's when new design issues get worked out.

You can read my thoughts here--coming from a 4th gen 4runner--about buying a new 5th gen 4runner versus a used GX: GX460 or T4R Trail?

Cutting to the chase: Get what your wife wants, that's the smartest investment.

The one thing you mentioned was replacing the radio in the 4Runner. As of right now this can't be done on the GX460. The climate and some other vehicle controls are built into the factory radio. There is a Chinese company making a Tesla like tablet for the GX, but it's not ready for prime time yet. I think there might have been some other add-on options that are android powered, but I don't know if anyone has tried those yet.

I feel that the GX460 infotainment is even more outdated than the 4Runner. This is probably one of my biggest complaints on the 460.

That being said, I'd still take the 460 over a 5th gen T4R. The smooth V8 more than makes up for it.

I was originally shopping for a T4R when I bought my first GX (as most of the people above probably were). Besides everything mentioned above, one factor that sold me on the GX is standard KDSS suspension that otherwise only comes optional on certain trims. It's a great stock suspension system for both on- and off-road, and finding one used or new in a T4R is not easy. Expect to pay a premium if you find a KDSS equipped model available.

Otherwise I echo all the comments above. Power, comfort, quality, options, and capability all make the GX a very attractive alternative to the T4R. It is a little more expensive brand new (depending on options), but in my opinion the small difference is more than made up for by the benefits.

Whichever way you go, best of luck with the hunt and share pics when you bring it home!

All of the above, plus the Lexus dealership experience. Literally night and day from Toyota, at least where I live.

There’s nothing pretentious about wanting and owning the best.

Totally agreed. But the wife thinks it’s too pretentious.....:rolleyes:
Haven't heard from you in a while. Have you made a decision yet??

To chime in on this, our friends have a GX which I've driven and I just bought a new 4runner offroad premium. To compare, the GX feels more comfortable and lux inside where the T4R feels like someone took a basic truck and threw some nicer seats in it. Power wise I felt like even with the v8 the GX was still slow, I was mightily unimpressed as it didn't feel much different than the also slow T4R. That said put a boat behind both and there is a MASSIVE difference.

Obviously if you're going offroad in stock trim the T4R with the right model/options has the advantage. E-locker, approach/departure angles, MTS and so on. Of course you can mod the GX and add lots of capability but it's going to cost and involve cutting. Choose your own adventure. :D

From the OP it's going to be a family vehicle, I wouldn't see any reason to not go GX.

I personally think the 5th gen 4runners look at a lot better than the GX's. Also, nothing really compares to the 4runner/Tacoma in resale value over the last couple of decades.

I'll chime as an owner and former owner of both, I will be a bit of a devils advocate here as this subforum is heavily biased towards the GX. We've had three 5th Gen 4Runners and a GX 460. It's already been noted that the GX is more comfortable and has more amenities. It's biggest perk is the V8 and 6th gear, but lets not get carried away here. It's certainly an improvement over the 4.0L in the 4Runner but it is barely noticeable in the power department and it gets worse gas mileage. It's a smoother power plant and tows better, I'll give it that.

The multiple climate zones and butt coolers are nice in the GX and the third row is a plus if you need it but it comes at the cost of reduced cargo space. The trim and interior appointments are better than what is found in the 4Runner, but like others have said, it is a very dated interior, even more so than the 4Runner. That said, the 4Runner has plastic on top of plastic for the sake of more plastic. While this part is subjective, I think the 4Runner looks better, especially when comparing it to the 2014+ GX with its spindle grill. Stock for stock the 4Runner is the better off-road option and this isn't arguable, it has the better approach/departure/breakover and in regards to the Trail/TRD OR/TRD Pro it will have MTS/ATRAC and a rear locker. You can get MTS on a GX but you have to buy the more expensive model or add it to a base post purchase, still no rear locker from the factory.

Both use the same lifts for the most part but the aftermarket is immense for the 4Runner while there are only a few options for the GX. Personally I don't care for KDSS, in stock form it's a great system but if you lift a vehicle it has its drawbacks and there's guaranteed maintenance as it ages. The aftermarket support and modifying the vehicles really comes down to whether or not you see yourself doing all that much to either vehicle. The 4Runner wins hands down in this category, but if all you want is a small lift and some aggressive tires then it's a wash and none of the aftermarket support matters.

All in all they are both great options but the GX is more livable and gives you more for your money in the comfort department. I don't think you will have to worry one bit about the 5th Gen resale values anytime soon and they should continue to hold strong even after the debut of the 6th Gen which I suspect will still be a BOF vehicle. If you decide to buy a GX I'd buy used, look for a clean lease turn-in or a CPO. If you decide to buy a 4Runner I'd suggest the TRD OR Premium as your best all around option. Best of luck in your search and decision.

I'll chime as an owner and former owner of both, I will be a bit of a devils advocate here as this subforum is heavily biased towards the GX. We've had three 5th Gen 4Runners and a GX 460. It's already been noted that the GX is more comfortable and has more amenities. It's biggest perk is the V8 and 6th gear, but lets not get carried away here. It's certainly an improvement over the 4.0L in the 4Runner but it is barely noticeable in the power department and it gets worse gas mileage. It's a smoother power plant and tows better, I'll give it that.

The multiple climate zones and butt coolers are nice in the GX and the third row is a plus if you need it but it comes at the cost of reduced cargo space. The trim and interior appointments are better than what is found in the 4Runner, but like others have said, it is a very dated interior, even more so than the 4Runner. That said, the 4Runner has plastic on top of plastic for the sake of more plastic. While this part is subjective, I think the 4Runner looks better, especially when comparing it to the 2014+ GX with its spindle grill. Stock for stock the 4Runner is the better off-road option and this isn't arguable, it has the better approach/departure/breakover and in regards to the Trail/TRD OR/TRD Pro it will have MTS/ATRAC and a rear locker. You can get MTS on a GX but you have to buy the more expensive model or add it to a base post purchase, still no rear locker from the factory.

Both use the same lifts for the most part but the aftermarket is immense for the 4Runner while there are only a few options for the GX. Personally I don't care for KDSS, in stock form it's a great system but if you lift a vehicle it has its drawbacks and there's guaranteed maintenance as it ages. The aftermarket support and modifying the vehicles really comes down to whether or not you see yourself doing all that much to either vehicle. The 4Runner wins hands down in this category, but if all you want is a small lift and some aggressive tires then it's a wash and none of the aftermarket support matters.

All in all they are both great options but the GX is more livable and gives you more for your money in the comfort department. I don't think you will have to worry one bit about the 5th Gen resale values anytime soon and they should continue to hold strong even after the debut of the 6th Gen which I suspect will still be a BOF vehicle. If you decide to buy a GX I'd buy used, look for a clean lease turn-in or a CPO. If you decide to buy a 4Runner I'd suggest the TRD OR Premium as your best all around option. Best of luck in your search and decision.
I have to agree with you. As much as I love my GX, but have also had many Toyota's including two Landcruisers, you did a nice job of being fair and balanced. (Hey, isn't that FoxNew's tag line??)

Agree with a lot of this. I don't think it's so cut and dry that the GX is a better platform. More comfortable and better powertrain for sure but straight out of the box the 4Runner is the better off-road vehicle. I really think it comes down to preferences, what type and how much off-roading you do, and how much you're willing to mod it. If it's more of an off-road rig then 4Runner for sure. If it's your daily driver, weekend warrior, and not something you want to beat up then I think the GX.

The 4Runner is better approach/departure angles, better clearance, less low hanging plastics and the Trail has a locking rear diff. Aftermarket support is strong with plenty of options. With the GX it hasn't been until recently that the aftermarket support has picked up, mostly since there are more off-lease GX's in the wild. Metal Tech is the only company with a 14+ spindle grill compatible bumper and that only came out like a month or two ago. Before that you were stuck with chopping up your spindle grill and putting an ARB bumper on it. The available rear bumpers for the GX still seem more of a hack job. I've seen a few posts on the Metal Tech one and it's quite bulky looking and the reviews on it seem less than stellar. The Dobinsons and Kaymar rear bumpers were designed for the LC-Prado and while it technically fits it seems like there is still a lot of cutting, modifying and individual variances to installing them. Also from what I hear expect the Kaymar bumper to be in the $4k range...

To get a GX to be as off-road capable as a 4Runner requires quite a bit of work. If you're willing to put in the money, work, and deal with hiccups along the way then the GX is a better platform. I think it really does depend on personal preference.

If I'm starting a new build then I probably would get a used CPO GX which can be had for $35-$40k. More available off lease vehicles and aftermarket support is slowly picking up. I currently have a 5th gen 4Runner and have flirted with trading it in for a GX460 but decided against it. Simply not enough pro's for me to get rid of my 5th gen and start over. Stepping up to the LC200 would make it worth it but even that platform is long in the tooth. I think I'm gonna hang on to my 5th gen until 2022/23 and see what happens with the 6th gen 4R. By then there should be a lot more cheap(er) used 2016+ LC200's on the market too.

Last edited:
Agree with a lot of this. I don't think it's so cut and dry that the GX is a better platform. More comfortable and better powertrain for sure but straight out of the box the 4Runner is the better off-road vehicle. I really think it comes down to preferences, what type and how much off-roading you do, and how much you're willing to mod it. If it's more of an off-road rig then 4Runner for sure. If it's your daily driver, weekend warrior, and not something you want to beat up then I think the GX.

The 4Runner is better approach/departure angles, better clearance, less low hanging plastics and the Trail has a locking rear diff. Aftermarket support is strong with plenty of options. With the GX it hasn't been until recently that the aftermarket support has picked up, mostly since there are more off-lease GX's in the wild. Metal Tech is the only company with a 14+ spindle grill compatible bumper and that only came out like a month or two ago. Before that you were stuck with chopping up your spindle grill and putting an ARB bumper on it. The available rear bumpers for the GX still seem more of a hack job. I've seen a few posts on the Metal Tech one and it's quite bulky looking and the reviews on it seem less than stellar. The Dobinsons and Kaymar rear bumpers were designed for the LC-Prado and while it technically fits it seems like there is still a lot of cutting, modifying and individual variances to installing them. Also from what I hear expect the Kaymar bumper to be in the $4k range...

To get a GX to be as off-road capable as a 4Runner requires quite a bit of work. If you're willing to put in the money, work, and deal with hiccups along the way then the GX is a better platform. I think it really does depend on personal preference.

If I'm starting a new build then I probably would get a used CPO GX which can be had for $35-$40k. More available off lease vehicles and aftermarket support is slowly picking up. I currently have a 5th gen 4Runner and have flirted with trading it in for a GX460 but decided against it. Simply not enough pro's for me to get rid of my 5th gen and start over. Stepping up to the LC200 would make it worth it but even that platform is long in the tooth. I think I'm gonna hang on to my 5th gen until 2022/23 and see what happens with the 6th gen 4R. By then there should be a lot more cheap(er) used 2016+ LC200's on the market too.

This is where is where we are at. The struggle is whether or not I continue to build out my 4Runner until that day comes. I can’t leave well enough alone but I don’t want to throw more money at it that I’ll never get back. That said, those mods would improve the vehicles capabilities and our off-road experiences and I would enjoy it that much more, tough choice. I would love to pick up a new or lightly use 2016+ but I just can’t justify it, I’m flirting with the nicely modded 2014 on here but it’s a lot of scratch for a 5-6 year old vehicle, albeit the mods and money are there.

The 4Runner is a great platform and it does well for what we use it for, but the way the winds down here on the coast own it bothers me and my other half. It won't have the power to tow the boat so that'll force us to use the LX solely for that duty. We really need to get down to the brass tax of what it is we truly need out of a vehicle and what it is we simply want and try to find some middle ground there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom