100 Series wheel spin causing tire tearing/chunking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if I am alone on this or not. I have been getting some tearing and chunking on my tires and I think it's due to the tires spinning over rough and rocky terrain. I'm also someone who is very, very gentle on the throttle. I try to avoid wheel spin, but sometimes you can't and actually need it for A-trac.

I don't believe the tires themselves are entirely at fault. I'm thinking its due to the characteristics of the 100 series to constantly lift its tires and the A-trac needing wheel spin to operate.

Anyone else experience this?
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg
photo3.jpg

Wow, it must be these razor sharp California rocks we got here

HKS, what brand/model tires are those?

Last edited:
Possible contributing factors

Hard rubber compounds for long pavement tire life tend to chunk

Too high air pressure contributing to stiffness of tires

Too stiff suspension - tire lifts and spins on sharp rock

For part-time 4WD- 2 WD on steep rocky climbs will lead to rear wheel spin.

Too much throttle - going too fast

Too much weight -

Often hard to avoid.

Where are you wheeling? Up in Big Bear? I know they can have some sharp granite up there that will chew up tires regardless of what kind of tire or driving style. I haven't wheeled in Idyllwild, which is closer to you, but having been up there often and hiked, the material up there looks like it can do the same damage.
Although as noted above, airing down and having a very gentle touch on the throttle will help save the tires.

One last thing: was all that damage done on one trip/day??

Where are you wheeling? Up in Big Bear? I know they can have some sharp granite up there that will chew up tires regardless of what kind of tire or driving style.
Although as noted above, airing down and being having a gentle touch on the throttle will help save the tires.

One last thing: was all that damage done on one trip/day??

Yeah...Big Bear, Calico, Death Valley, etc..

I usually air down to 20-22 psi. Maybe I should try lower, but I usually am loaded with 3-4 adults and lots of gear on trips.

My tires have probably 12K+ miles on them. The damage has slowly appeared after almost every rough off-road trip, not in one day.

Yeah...Big Bear, Calico, Death Valley, etc..

I usually air down to 20-22 psi. Maybe I should try lower, but I usually am loaded with 3-4 adults and lots of gear on trips.

My tires have probably 12K+ miles on them. The damage has slowly appeared after almost every rough off-road trip, not in one day.

We live in San Clemente, just north of you and my wifes Hundy with BFG A/T's eventually looked that way too by the time they were done. I'd say that's about normal, perhaps a little on the hard side. We wheel in a lot of the same areas too.

Airing down depends not only your vehicle weight (and all the "stuff") but also your tire and wheel size. You can air down more if you have a narrower rim and wider tire. That's why it's better to get a 8" - 9" rim instead of a 10" - 12" widths. I am currently running BFG 35x12.5x17 M/T's on 17x8.5" wheels.

The tires are 245/75 Firestone Destination MT... notorious for chunking. The tires are about 7 years old and just recently started chunking like that. They're on a Land Rover Discovery which is a bit lighter than the 100 Land Cruiser that I have on 255/85s. Those still chunk with all of the sharp rocks out here, regardless of tire pressure

7496610816_62690341b3_b.jpg

I was expecting to hear about more 100 Series owners experiencing these issues, I guess not.

So I guess the Coopers are of a softer compound than the BFG and Nitto tires alot of the 100 Series folks are running on their rigs?

My cousin who runs the same trails as I with a Wrangler TJ and BFG KM2 tires has no problems with chunking. However, he rarely ever lifts a tire or has wheel spin. Plus it's much lighter too.

An option you can do is get some $50 dollar steel wheels and put some 33" or 35" Swampers or KM2 M/T's on them and use them for your trail runs and get some good all season high gas mileage street tires for your daily driving needs.
Problem solved! (except the hole in your wallet...)

I wish! There is no such thing as a $50 steel wheel that fits a 100 series bolt pattern. I would have gotten them long ago if they existed.

I wish! There is no such thing as a $50 steel wheel that fits a 100 series bolt pattern. I would have gotten them long ago if they existed.

Actually, they may not be steel, but you should be able to find some take-offs from a Tundra or Hundy for really cheap.

Check Craigslist.org or eBay and I if I was a betting man, I'd say within a month or so you'll find a set for around $200 bucks. And these will probably be the nice alloys too.:clap:

Yeah, I've actually seen them cheaper here in San Diego too. Sometimes, like $100 for a set. But, the only Tundra wheels that would work are 18". Just not sure if I want to go with a lower profile tire due to an 18" rim versus the 16" I have now.

no-pistons said:

I have seen a sets of 4 tundra 5 x 150 steel wheels here locally in San Diego on CL for $100. Just have to be patient. I got my 4 tundra 18" alloys that way for $150.

Yeah, I've actually seen them cheaper here in San Diego too. Sometimes, like $100 for a set. But, the only Tundra wheels that would work are 18". Just not sure if I want to go with a lower profile tire due to an 18" rim versus the 16" I have now.

Come on guys... Think a moment! This isn't rocket science here.
Use the 18" Tundra's for your street wheels and high mileage tires and the LC 16" for wheeling.

... My apologies for the sarcasm ...

I noticed my 285's BFG's chunking after our Big Bear trip (Gold mountain).. Mainly the front tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom