100 Series vs. Camry or Why You Should Buy A Blueberry Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
So, some of you know I have been building a 2001 100-Series. I searched for about a year and a half before I found the perfect (well perfect to me) 100-Series. It's a 2001 in River Rock, a Texas Truck it's whole life with no rust and of course a one owner vehicle.

I picked it up and started getting it setup - I literally picked up about $6k in OEM parts - everything from a new radiator to sunroof glass to get it back into prime shape. I had a Toyota Master Mechanic do the work and we literally replaced everything that was a wear item.

I then put on my upgraded off-road parts to get the truck where I wanted it from an off-road capability perspective: OME / Ironman Pro suspension, Slee front bumper (with a Warn 9.5XPS), MetalTech Sliders, SPC Upper Control Arms, Slee Lower Control Arms, Slee skids (all three pieces), etc.

Then...literally a few days after putting on the skids, I was on my to pick up our 1-year old GSP Duke from doggy day care and pulled into the turning lane, slowed down to take the turn, and then I got kamikazed by a Camry.

The driver pulled out of a parking lot, cut across two lanes of traffic, and literally smacked into the side of my truck at about 20mph.

The front bumper, front passenger wheel/tire and suspension took the brunt of the impact. The good thing is that everyone walked away without a scratch...the bad news is that my truck is hurt...hurt real bad.

Right now we are at about $7k plus in estimates and we just did the 3rd inspection / estimate yesterday as they keep finding more and more damage. Luckily I am insured with USAA and the other driver was insured as well. The other driver was issued a ticket so, I am not too worried about ultimately getting the truck fixed...but, this is and has been a painful process (pun intended).

So, here is the take-away...you can drive as carefully as you want...there will always be someone out there that drives without paying attention to their environment. Second, the Slee bumper is awesome...it took the hit like a boss. The Toyota folks were uber impressed by the lack of damage that the 100 took from the hit and surprised at the structural integrity of the Slee bumper.

So, here it is:

28323295433_2b0b793634_k.jpg

28862943921_aa66c4c7c5_k.jpg

28907250216_6d968a2766_k.jpg

I should also mention...a lot of you know me personally and know that I have a bone disease (Osteogenesis Imperfecta) and I really think the 100-Series saved me from some serious injuries...I won't be driving anything except for our Toyotas (5th Gen 4Runner, 2nd Gen Tacoma, and the 100 once it's back on the road...and maybe a 200 Series in the near future).

Cheers.

- Mark

my wife drives our 100 since she's got the kiddos most of the time (i have a GX). to your point of these being tanks:
these are both post-collision @ ~20mph while my wife was stopped at a light...

full

full

obviously not as bad as yours. just a testament to our safety in them. my daughter actually slept through this impact.

sorry about your rig. that has me nervous when building these up and using as daily drivers too. can't recoup all that labor.

Yah, not surprised to see the Slee hold up - they're built like beasts!

Very glad everyone is okay, also happy to see your truck is relatively fine...

I would have had a really hard time keeping my cool after that had happened. Especially since you had done such a great job getting it where you wanted it.

I love that bumper and I'm glad you were happy with how well it handled the accident. I cant believe the shape that Camry was in.

I'm always curious how aftermarket bumpers handle accidents. Over on t4R there were a few accidents in the 5th gen section. Some had aftermarket bumpers and some did not...just because I think the 100 series is rarer it seems there are less accidents discussed here.

My friend up the street was telling me his wife hit a deer with his 80 on my road, nicknamed "Antler Alley." She was really nervous about how much damage it had caused, and then my buddy said he hosed off the ARB and it was fine.

On the other hand, my commute to work is a 2 lane state route where you can drive 65 and most people coming the other direction are looking at their phones as I pass them. There have been nasty head-on collisions on that road in which the victims frequently lose their lives.

I really want a front bumper. And I would love it to protect my vehicle from deer, which are a serious consideration where I live. But I am nervous about taking that front end and altering it in a way that that could, could change the efficacy of the airbag deployment. And not having the vehicle crush and crumple in a way it was designed to to protect you from the impact...

This was probably not even a concern in your accident, luckily, but it is something I think about.

What are your thoughts about it?

I would have had a really hard time keeping my cool after that had happened. Especially since you had done such a great job getting it where you wanted it.

I love that bumper and I'm glad you were happy with how well it handled the accident. I cant believe the shape that Camry was in.

I'm always curious how aftermarket bumpers handle accidents. Over on t4R there were a few accidents in the 5th gen section. Some had aftermarket bumpers and some did not...just because I think the 100 series is rarer it seems there are less accidents discussed here.

My friend up the street was telling me his wife hit a deer with his 80 on my road, nicknamed "Antler Alley." She was really nervous about how much damage it had caused, and then my buddy said he hosed off the ARB and it was fine.

On the other hand, my commute to work is a 2 lane state route where you can drive 65 and most people coming the other direction are looking at their phones as I pass them. There have been nasty head-on collisions on that road in which the victims frequently lose their lives.

I really want a front bumper. And I would love it to protect my vehicle from deer, which are a serious consideration where I live. But I am nervous about taking that front end and altering it in a way that that could, could change the efficacy of the airbag deployment. And not having the vehicle crush and crumple in a way it was designed to to protect you from the impact...

This was probably not even a concern in your accident, luckily, but it is something I think about.

What are your thoughts about it?
I thought the ARB was an airbag compliant bumper?

Glad you are ok. As someone who has lost a Landcruiser to an accident that was no fault of my own, I feel your pain. I only had an ARB on my FJ62 and while I was able to drive home it did not stand up like your Slee Blueberry did. Recently got into a LX470 and seeing this testament of the blueberry's strength has me definitely considering it for my own cruiser.

Here is an older thread I found that gives a basic overview of airbag compatible bumpers, etc.

99 + ARB + Deer + 75mph

Catskills -

You know, to purchase a bumper or not is really a personal decision. I've had ARB, Slee, and Demello bumpers on all my Toyotas and haven't thought twice. My philosophy is more metal up front the better. There was a thread maybe 10 years ago about a guy who drove his 80 into a crane at night, basically the ARB bumper on his 80 saved his life. I ordered mine a few days after I read that for my 80. But, it's a decision you'll have to make. I don't buy them for their crash protection, I buy them for the offroad clearance and the winch mount...any extra protection is a bonus.

- Mark

As if I didnt want this bumper before...damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom