100-series vs 4runner Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

we have a 2014 Trail and a 99 LX. The mrs. drives the LX and it is hands down a much better daily driver than the 4Runner. The LX is quieter, better ride, and better visibility. Check out my instagram to see both. @9oh4Runner.

Offroad the Trail wins with the rear-locker, a-trac, crawl control, etc...

I'd vote the 100 Series over the 4Runner all day.

I have owned several 4runners including a 5th gen trail and I would say go with a 5th gen limited or SR5 premium for what you are intending it for. Plenty capable but more comfortable than the Trail Editions. Newer and a more reasonable price as well as better mileage and less cost of ownership than a 100 series.

I would also add that my wife drives a newer GX460 and it is a great vehicle for what you pay for them. Some really nice features over the 4runners, like 3rd row seats, heated and cooled seats and obviously the V8. Much quieter then the 4runners and better ride. Not as capable off-road (clearance mainly), but plenty fine for fire roads etc.

We have a 100, a v6 Highlander, a v8 4Runner and a 4 cyl rav4. I prefer them in that order for daily comfort. It’s not off-road capable in the way a 100 or a 4Runner is, but a Highlander is a very nice commuter that will handle light trail duty just fine.

My advice is still the same though - drive them. Different strokes, etc. Get what YOU like.

We have a 100, a v6 Highlander, a v8 4Runner and a 4 cyl rav4. I prefer them in that order for daily comfort. It’s not off-road capable in the way a 100 or a 4Runner is, but a Highlander is a very nice commuter that will handle light trail duty just fine.

My advice is still the same though - drive them. Different strokes, etc. Get what YOU like.
A RAV4 with CDL, manual trans, and decent tires is surprisingly capable on 4x4 trails. If it had a two-speed transfer case, it would outperform a 4Runner or GX any day of the week.

I recently picked up an ‘07 LX470. Had been looking for 4Runners (‘12-‘18 with reasonable miles) and where we live the resale value on the 4Runner is crazy. When I got to drive both, I found I liked the ride and visibility of the 100 better than the 4R and the cost on the used market for vehicles with similar miles wasn’t that different. But, I am finding that 100 repairs are more $$. Still, I love driving a 100. Super comfortable, great family car too.

I’d get a GX460 over any trim of 4Runner. They screwed up by putting a weak V6 in those 4Runners. Beside having a bigger aftermarket support and preferential tailgate, the 4Runner is worse in every category compared to the GX.

I almost sold my 100 to get a 5th Gen 4R or a 460. I wanted more modern ride as my daily, but I decided to keep my Audi as my daily and my 100 is just now a dedicated campout rig.

I’d get a GX460 over any trim of 4Runner. They screwed up by putting a weak V6 in those 4Runners. Beside having a bigger aftermarket support and preferential tailgate, the 4Runner is worse in every category compared to the GX.
Actually the 1GR 4.0l V6 that is in them is a tried and true engine. I was actually quite impressed with how well our did towing a 5500lbs 16"(cabin) trailer without a dedicated brake controller through the mountains of Northern NV, Northern CA into lower Oregon and up the coast. It was not speed demon mind you, took a bit to get off the line but she never really "struggled" pulling that trailer with my ex and I and our stuff.

Outside of that, the 4wd works great (dedicated stick in ours instead of the stupid switch), has all the amenities like heated leather, sunroof, bluetooth (though at that time the stock bluetooth system just sucked) and really I could get 19-20mpg during longer trips if I kept it under 75mph on the freeway. This is on a COMPLETELY stock rig. Avg gas mileage for mixture of around town and the occasional hwy driving was right around 17mpg so it was decently fuel efficient.

My biggest gripe was that is wasn't overly "big" inside. I compared the differences between my 98 100 and the 11 4Runner SR5 as the LC feeling like a couch with plenty of room to see and just open space whereas the 4Runner was more "confined" and felt like a cockpit of a plane. Both were great in their specific genre so it all depends on what you are looking for. But there is a good reason why Toyota has used that 1GR V6 for so long, it just works.

I daily drove an 80 series for quite a while and loved it. I bought my wife a 2018 4runner and sadly was very disappointed. The quality was nowhere near the first gen 4runners I had previously owned. It was so bad that we ended up trading it in for a Subaru after less than 2 years of ownership. THEN I bought a 100 series and found myself (to my surprise) driving that verses the 80. The 100 series is an excellent vehicle if you are okay with expensive parts and bad gas milage. For me its the ideal vehicle for national forest roads and long trips. Good luck with your search.
Cheers,
Scot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom