100-series vs 4runner Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this question has been asked before in the past but I'm curios to hear your thoughts from my perspective.

I currently drive an 80-series but I'm looking into possibly selling it and getting something that's more daily-able and I don't do any serious off-roading (just the occasional fire road, etc). I use my vehicle mostly for long drives with my family and German Shepherd. My 80-series is stock. I know there's several great vendors out there but in my opinion, Mr T engineered their cars the way they did for a reason so I would be planning on keeping whatever new vehicle I got stock, as well.

I love the 2010-2013 4Runner Trail but they're damn near impossible to find in good shape for a decent price. This got me thinking about a 100-series. I know this is a 100-series forum so the answers might be a bit biased but is an older generation LC really better than a newer 4Runner? For ~$20k, which is the better purchase? I also plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and don't want to spend a bunch of time/money fixing things before I can comfortably count on taking it on a x,000 mile road trip.

I think a newer 4Runner would be the best fit for you. Pick up a good one for $20k and get going. You can get a great 100 for $20k, but with the newest 100 being 13, nearly 14 years old now, there’s always work to be done. Both great options, but newer vehicle with better mpg will make a better road trip/light wheeling/daily driver that should serve you well.
IMHO. :flipoff2:

You are going to spend money getting any used car back to where it should be IMO, moreso with a 15 year old 100 than an 8 year old 4 runner. Once back to a good standard, either should serve you well for a long time.

Drive both both, and make up your own mind.

For what you are saying that you are using it for there is really no reason for the Trail Edition of the 4runner for your usage.
As someone that has had both a stock 2011 4Runner SR5 and now a 98 100 Series Land Cruiser, the main differences will come down to you budget, maintenance and usage.

If you plan to DD the vehicle, light offroad usage (standard fireroads and no real off chamber watersheds or anything) then I would highly suggest getting a 4Runner. The gas mileage will be better, the "standard" resale value will be better and you will have a much more modern vehicle.

But with that said, the 100 series trumps in the way of roominess of the vehicle. The 4Runner is definitely more enclosed and the front, to me, feels like a jet cockpit where is the Land Cruiser is a bit more of a luxury vehicle with much more spaciousness. The interior room for the rear seats and back cargo area will be much better with the Land Cruiser as well. Because of the way the interior is done for the 4Runner, there is LOTS of plastic that takes up space in the name of sound deadening and feel. This was one of my biggest gripes because it causes a bit of a blind spot when looking over your shoulder when changing lanes. At 6', 180lbs and your standard "athletic" build, I am not a big guy but always felt a bit cramped in the 4Runner, not so much in the 100.

For $20k you will be able to get yourself a pretty nice 4Runner in that range with lower mileage and likely had been more of a mall crawler. Both are exceptionally capable vehicles off-road (took my STBXW's 4runner on a couple off-road treks to fishing spots she didn't know about) so if there is mild off-road then either will suite you just fine.

For ~$20k, which is the better purchase? I also plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and don't want to spend a bunch of time/money fixing things before I can comfortably count on taking it on a x,000 mile road trip.
Newer 4Runner.

The 100 series are great vehicles, but there are really only two versions that are common: 1) cheap, neglected trucks with abysmal maintenance history that need immediate work ($$$$) but can be bought for $4-10k, and 2) well-maintained trucks that are 13-22 years old with outdated safety and comfort features that cost $12-20k. Everything else is an exception to the norm.

Early 200 series? Gas mileage is still terrible but people always say get the newest Land Cruiser you can afford.

Seconded on the 4runner.

The 100 is a hobbyist platform. The 4runner will be newer than the 100 and less things to fix/baseline.

I vote you get the 100 and your “significant other” get a T4R, (4Runner)

Best of each man!

Why not a Prado/GX?
x2. GX460 for the V8.
Stooopid rear door

1604339190060.gif

Haha, LC split tailgate is the best but between the 4runner and GX.... at least with the GX, you can have an instant table.

e29a6f2306c89b31cdcdf21932a8f949.jpg

But with that said, the 100 series trumps in the way of roominess of the vehicle. The 4Runner is definitely more enclosed and the front, to me, feels like a jet cockpit where is the Land Cruiser is a bit more of a luxury vehicle with much more spaciousness. The interior room for the rear seats and back cargo area will be much better with the Land Cruiser as well. Because of the way the interior is done for the 4Runner, there is LOTS of plastic that takes up space in the name of sound deadening and feel. This was one of my biggest gripes because it causes a bit of a blind spot when looking over your shoulder when changing lanes. At 6', 180lbs and your standard "athletic" build, I am not a big guy but always felt a bit cramped in the 4Runner, not so much in the 100.

I'm the same size and love the fit of the 100 series. I had a 3rd gen 4Runner for a few years and was never really that comfortable in it. When my wife was looking for a new ride last year, we test drove a new 4Runner as we both love the looks. It didn't take long for both of us to scrap that idea. Neither one of us really cared for the overall fit / finish of the package, especially for the price. For me, it really wasn't that comfortable, not like my 100 anyway. However, she instantly fell in the love with the GX when we tried it. We ended up with a 2017 GX460 and we both love driving it.

That being said, I'd stick with a 100 or a GX. But overall, try them out before you decide. All 3 would make a great DD if cared for correctly. You just need to find the one that you would prefer to sit in for hours at a time.

Agreed, it sucks and there’s nothing like having a proper tail gate. However if the GX had the door hinged from the other side and opened towards the curb (like the FJ Cruiser) it would help a lot. As is it’s like having the refrigerator door bass ackwards.

Haha, LC split tailgate is the best but between the 4runner and GX.... at least with the GX, you can have an instant table.

e29a6f2306c89b31cdcdf21932a8f949.jpg
Table is cool, but every time I see the GX it just looks like a RAV4 on DBOL with that rear barn door.

The STBXW and I looked at the GX before we purchased the 4Runner and both of us were as the others above, the rear door was really the killer on it. I started to look at them as well when I was looking at the 100 series and took a couple for test drives. Really for me it came down to the rear door and the fact that it still felt like the 4Runner, just a bit more "luxurious" inside.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has their own aesthetic and whatnot, but the GX just wasn't for me with the size, especially coming from a 60 series that felt like you were just driving in an open box. I like my room and HATE blind spots. This was one of the main factors that I didn't just jump into another 4Runner (looking for a v8 4th Gen). The original premise was that we were going to tow a small trailer with the vehicle and while the 4Runner did ok with the V6, it lacked some grunt going through the hills.

My GX felt more practical than my 100 does & honestly it was better in every aspect except for the rear door and the coolness factor. But I’m probably alone with this in the world:))

4Runner, GX, or a 200...probably in that order.

You can't finance these old 100's and rates on money are crazy low right now. I'd get a low interest car loan and put the cash I was going to spend on the 100 in some index funds.

And if I may say this; don't sell your 80 because nothing else is going to have any character. Okay...the 100 has a little bit of character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom