100 Series Plastic Exterior Trim Damage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new to the forums. Just picked up my first Cruiser this week, an ‘05 1-owner with 130k from TX. really excited, but the exterior paint, particularly the plastic trim pieces, is rough in spots.
  1. How do I repair the plastic spots where the paint is peeling off outright?
  2. Is there anything that can be done to the fading, scratched trim pieces to make them look better?
Thanks!

BB103954-C804-4279-BEBA-14D99F9B8FB6.jpeg

C5C1DFDD-020D-473C-B699-071CC05B8E16.jpeg

Since you haven't gotten any love...the palstic trim can be painted to match the body, or any other color for that matter. You MUST use adhesion promoter to get the paint to adhere, though.

Check post #288 I think it was.

Not specifically your question, but wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the bottom chrome piece from the upper rear hatch? You can see the small rust bubble that I would like to address, but need to get behind that piece of trim. Is it attached by clips, adhesive, double sided tape or some combination?

trim.jpg

Not specifically your question, but wondering if anyone has any tips for removing the bottom chrome piece from the upper rear hatch? You can see the small rust bubble that I would like to address, but need to get behind that piece of trim. Is it attached by clips, adhesive, double sided tape or some combination?

View attachment 3139785
It's a combination of 3m double-sided emblem tape and two plastic clips. All clips were accessible from the inside on the inside of the tailgate/hatch or from tag lights. The lower portion was a combination of buts, clips, and tape. I used fishing line (80 lbs test) and a heat gun. It took me about 30 mins to get the tape to separate. Then I used a rubber wheel from 3M to remove old tape along with acetone. Wrapped in satin black and reinstalled. Didn't like that so I removed it and painted it.

IMG_0205.JPG

Last edited:
It's a combination of 3m double-sided emblem tape and two plastic clips. All clips were accessible from the inside on the inside of the tailgate/hatch or from tag lights. The lower portion was a combination of buts, clips, and tape. I used fishing line (80 lbs test) and a heat gun. It took me about 30 mins to get the tape to separate. Then I used a rubber wheel from 3M to remove old tape along with acetone. Wrapped in satin black and reinstalled. Didn't like that so I removed it and painted it.

View attachment 3139799
Thanks, that really helps. Had to replace the headlights, and cracked one of the front trim pieces, which has made me a little hesitant.

Thanks, that really helps. Had to replace the headlights, and cracked on of the front trim pieces, which has made me a little hesitant.
Biggest piece of advice I can offer. Not an expert or anything here but be patient. Go slow. If you think it's too slow go slower. It will come off with gentle pressure and patience. Or you can just buy another one from a junkyard and rip yours off. Haha

Thanks, that really helps. Had to replace the headlights, and cracked one of the front trim pieces, which has made me a little hesitant.
The headlight trim is super cheap. I have found multiple sets of primered ones on eBay for less than $150 for all three pieces for aftermarket ones. Or you can locate OEM ones for around the $350 mark for the set. Just have to dig them out. The OEM stuff comes painted FYI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom