100 series front axle(CV) issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
are there any? I know 80 series do to the full time 4x4 need more front axle maintence then say a fj60. But what about the 100 series CV's? any issues? I cant say I recall hearing of any. DOn't suppose you pack the CV's like you do a birfield ;)

Just poped into my head last night while pondering the purchase of a used 100 series.

Forgive my ignorance, but I've never checked one out...I know the 100's have IFS, but other than the solid axle of the 80's, what's different? Don't they both still have a birf or "CV" joint and an axle from the diff to said "CV"? If so, why wouldn't the 100's have the same problems with CVs as, say, a Honda Accord (don't mean to imply anything bad, just mean that it would have a CV boot packed with grease instead of a knuckle packed with grease)?

Tom

No issues AFAIK, since the diff will grenade before the CV joints ::).

[quote author=Scamper link=board=2;threadid=8603;start=msg73411#msg73411 date=1071001122]
Forgive my ignorance, but I've never checked one out...I know the 100's have IFS, but other than the solid axle of the 80's, what's different? Don't they both still have a birf or "CV" joint and an axle from the diff to said "CV"? If so, why wouldn't the 100's have the same problems with CVs as, say, a Honda Accord (don't mean to imply anything bad, just mean that it would have a CV boot packed with grease instead of a knuckle packed with grease)?

Tom
[/quote]

and thats why I asked ;)

100's have a CV joint with boot just like an Accord. IFS=non soild axle=no birfield joint(inclosed in the knuckle) If you look at one there is no axle housing like a 80, just a CV with shaft going from front diff to hub.......pretty much like a 86+ mini truck.

price for a new CV from Toyota is $350 a side about the same a birf. New boots are like $20.

[quote author=cruiserman link=board=2;threadid=8603;start=msg73433#msg73433 date=1071003999]
No issues AFAIK, since the diff will grenade before the CV joints ::).
[/quote]

big freaking help you are :flipoff2:

PS I still owe you a scan of the next page of da book.

It's exactly like pre-Taco hilux rigs, with torsion bar, etc. I've not seen any posts around the net concerning weak CV joints, but the rigs are still low mileage and few go offroad. I have seen some posts about the front diff grenading, especially going in reverse in low. Stupid IFS :mad:.

Like I said before, the CV joint on my 99 are just fine. My cruiser sees a lot of off road action, some in very tight situations and mostly loaded above and beyond the GVW running 35” tires. In addition, before I did the front diff lowering, the CV’s where in a less then ideal angles at all times.

To be precise, the 100 series has 2 CV joint per side vs. the solid axle setup of the 80. Granted, the outer one is the one that does most of the “work” and is the most prone to wear/brakeage. And like the 80 series, when you get into tight situation you should try to get out of it pointing the front wheels a strait as possible.

To some it up, the 100 IFS setup is very strong and reliable especially comparing to other trucks with IFS out there. Just park 100 and a Tundra side by side and compare the size of IFS components, you’ll be amazed. The limit of the 100 IFS is its travel. 7.5” is 2“ shy compare to the 80. Oh, and lifting capabilities.

BTW I run mine without the Sway bars…

My 2 cents worth

Doron.

Doron, what's this about lowering the diff? Could you elaborate a bit?
thanks
Eric

You have to do something to reduce the CV joint angle of operation with an IFS lift, since the diff is connected to the chassis.

You are exactly correct, Cruiserman.

Since I have almost 2” suspension lift, the CV’s where at uncomfortable angle all the time in addition to slight driveline vibration at certain conditions. I made some measurements and figured out some spacers to lower the diff. I also had to modify Frame Crossmember #3 to accommodate the mod. I played with the amount of diff drop until I reached the optimal setting and this is where it is today.

This is the short version of the story. At the same time I played with the ride height and spring rate of the front and rear suspension so it worked together to my liking.

I hope this makes sense,

Doron.

[quote author=cruiser99 link=board=2;threadid=8603;start=msg74112#msg74112 date=1071097185]
You are exactly correct, Cruiserman.

Since I have almost 2” suspension lift, the CV’s where at uncomfortable angle all the time in addition to slight driveline vibration at certain conditions. I made some measurements and figured out some spacers to lower the diff. I also had to modify Frame Crossmember #3 to accommodate the mod. I played with the amount of diff drop until I reached the optimal setting and this is where it is today.

This is the short version of the story. At the same time I played with the ride height and spring rate of the front and rear suspension so it worked together to my liking.

I hope this makes sense,

Doron.

[/quote]

Got any pics of your 100?

John (having a heck of a time finding the "right" 100)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom