100 series drive train question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me clarify the situation. Dealerhisip replaced the gear oil in rear differential and it made this clunk go away entirely when truck is cold, however after I drive for 20+ minutes it come back again very slightly, so slight that if I was not looking for it I would not notice it at all. I think it is normal operation of the limited slip differential, or just the harmless nature of the beast, considering that there are members out there with 100K miles on their 100s still going strong on original rear end.

Can someone please tell me what gear oil rear diff takes, so I could buy similar oil with 5 extra points of viscosity???
After spending $34K I did not get any manual, or even a spare key:(

"Can someone please tell me what gear oil rear diff takes, so I could buy similar oil with 5 extra points of viscosity???
After spending $34K I did not get any manual, or even a spare key:("

Mish, I would recommend any good synthetic 75w90. Mobil 1 75w90 is available every where and will give you excellant service.

"Can someone please tell me what gear oil rear diff takes, so I could buy similar oil with 5 extra points of viscosity???
After spending $34K I did not get any manual, or even a spare key:("

Mish:
You better start working in geeting yourself a spare key, they have a transponder that in order to be programed, requires a working key, if you happen to loose your only working key, it can get expensive.
Yoy can buy at the dealer an aftermarket key for $20.00, without the remote and have it programed right there. That way at least yoiu will be able to start your truck even if you do not have a remote.

It warmed up here (in Ohio) and my rear end started to jerk after take off again. It is not as bad as it originally was (with the old gear oil), but very noticeable and extremely annoying!!!!!! I took it back to the dealer and even though first time they noticed this bouncing shifter and the jerk this time they magically lost all their senses and said that they feel absolutely nothing! I guess Toyota does not like to fork out free rear differentials to second owners who did not pay $68K for the glorified pickup, especially when warranty is only 10K miles from the end.

Now, my questions are to all of you, Toyota gurus:
Does anybody else feel similar bumping right after the take off, or is it some freakish abnormality?
If it is common, what is causing it? Is it some kind of LSD (if such is present on LX470) clutching?
My rear end has no wining noise, or any other sign of going out typical for ran down rear ends, just the jerking after take off, which irradiates to the shifter handle.

[quote author=mish link=board=2;threadid=9726;start=msg124177#msg124177 date=1079754438]
It warmed up here (in Ohio) and my rear end started to jerk after take off again. It is not as bad as it originally was (with the old gear oil), but very noticeable and extremely annoying!!!!!! I took it back to the dealer and even though first time they noticed this bouncing shifter and the jerk this time they magically lost all their senses and said that they feel absolutely nothing! I guess Toyota does not like to fork out free rear differentials to second owners who did not pay $68K for the glorified pickup, especially when warranty is only 10K miles from the end.

Now, my questions are to all of you, Toyota gurus:
Does anybody else feel similar bumping right after the take off, or is it some freakish abnormality?
If it is common, what is causing it? Is it some kind of LSD (if such is present on LX470) clutching?
My rear end has no wining noise, or any other sign of going out typical for ran down rear ends, just the jerking after take off, which irradiates to the shifter handle.
[/quote]

It's normal, mines done it off and on for 100K miles. Just grease all of your zerts in the driveline, seems to happen less often when everything is well greased. There is a certain amount of slack in the drivetrain all you are hearing at times is that slack being taken up. Don't worry about it.

I would highly recommend Redline Shock Proof oil. They have the viscosity like regular 75W90 gear oil but give protection like 75W250 gear oil.
\Shock Proof Gear Oil

You could get it from Jegs or Summit Racing (cheaper)
Where you at in Ohio. I am about 30 Miles Norh West of Columbus.

You should also check all the transmission mounting bracket. The rubber might detoriate to a point they do not isolate the vibration as good as before.

One other thing is if the oil was left low for quite a while then it might let the bearing run dry and it would accelerate the wear quite significatly. If the diff are loose it would produce that kind of vibration and thunk. Try the redline oil first and see if that helps.

I am in Columbus NorthWest.

Today I greased the telescopic joint on the driveshaft and put Lucas Gear oil in the rear diff and the cluck seems to be gone all day today. Even with my newly purchased boat (also today:)) on the back!
I stuffed grease in the driveshaft until telescoping joint started to pulsate with each pump of the grease gun:)
I will keep you all posted if I find any more tricks that area.

I have had this same issue on my 100 LC. Dealer said it was diff oil and after they replaced it, the clunk was reduced, but not eliminated. I get the same clunk as I come to a stop after the truck has shifted to first gear. Kind of glad there are others with the same issue, but hope it doesn't affect all of us long term.

I did notice that after my 60k service the "clunk" diminished. I bet you it is the propellar shafts and not the dif oil. How can the dif oil provide that much difference in slop in the dif? I think we are going to have to grease those props every oil change.

mish said:
I finally went to the dealership today and had them test drive the truck. Sure enough they immediately reproduced the jerking and told me that it is definitely not normal. It could be 3 different things:
Driveshaft
One of the mounts, or
Transmission
2 of which are covered by the residual of my basic drivetrain warranty, so tomorrow I will know the verdict. So far I am enjoying RX330 loaner and I think my dick is gonna fall off any minute now, right after my kid joins some soccer team and makes me a proud soccer dad (this car is for pansies!).

Did you ever find out what the problem was cause I get it too when I get on and off the brakes.

My bet would be the Propeller shaft needs greasing. Toyota calls for it as regular maintainance.

At 25000 miles my prop shafts are "tight as" but the slap between the rear axle splines and carrier(centre) is horrendous!!(Well i'm sure thats it anyway)

mish said:
Got my truck back from the dealership! They fixed it, it turned out to be just a little low rear differential oil level and the oil itself was old (they said), any bumping, or jerking is completely gone, it now runs like brand new car!

So, all of you guys that have similar problem, change your differential oil asap.

is there supposed to be a certain type of rear diff oil that you use? you know like the type IV or somthing like that.

Toyota specs GL-5 in 80W-90. GL-5 in 75W-90 will work fine and is what most people run.

T-IV is for newer transmissions.

Dissapointing having rear end problems on a $60k vehicle at 25k miles! I'd expect that on my Dodge Ram, not on a Crusier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom