100 Series Drawer System - Double R Edition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your going dual JL audio 8's? I have a box for them if you want them! Unless you are making it so your subwoofers are attached to your drawers and not removable. Looking to sell the dual 8" box because I will be going wit 3 8w3's

-LJ

Subs are integrated into drawer. When this thing is done it will look like it came from Toyota as a Land Cruiser option.

UPS came today. Yes they are keyed the same.

275021-90 http://www.allegiscorp.com/DisplayP...mp_4.jsp&cat=Single-Point+Compression+Latches

IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1374.jpg

Nice work!

LJ_24 said:
So when can I come over to watch? Hope your not doing work this weekend:rolleyes:

Misc electrical work this weekend. Maybe trouble shoot some door locks for Darin. Gonna wire a rear cam. Prewire some other things. You are welcome to hang.

On another topic do you have access to water jet or laser cutter? Need small panel made for toggle switches.

hey guys - just joined the forum.. i dont' post often but i love my cruiser so much that if i had a bed big enough i would sleep with it on one side and my wife on the other.. *lets hope she does see this. the chick has 3 cruisers on the farm at home in botswana - fj62 and 2 100 series.. its why i married her.. anyways, i digress..

i built some boxes for the back which model the ones the OP has on here, however, the craftsmanship on the OP's looks better. i didn't do the locking drawers as it didn't make any sense for me. as you can see by the pics, the current latches work fine.. i have the flip up sides to store fishing rods and such.. the drawers that slide out are on heavy duty sliders on the side of each drawer. the lesson i learnt was to try to mount them underneath the drawer. i had intended the drawers to carry tools - about 30-40 pounds per drawer. it seemed a bit too heavy and one of the drawers is malfunctioning so i had to move the tools to the fold up drawer behind the seat (and behind the pull out drawers). I LOVE the drawer set up, the flip up sides but also figured out another lesson in building them. the flip up drawer at the back (not the side ones) only opens with the seats folded down. this sucks if you have someone trying to access stuff while seated in the back.. you've got pull the seats down.. i should have made the boxes about 2 inches shorter so there was clearance to pull up the cabinet. i can shorten everything, but just a mission with the carpeting already laid. you can see the sub box on there as well.. carpeted to max. the box comes out if needed.. the system for the stereo is pretty decent; all the electronics are tucked away in teh custom side enclosure AND in where the tire changing tools used to be (behind the panel near the hatch on the drivers side.).. aside from that, it was a fun project and really helps with organizing stuff.. next stage is to put some sort of cutting board type material on the inside of the tailgate that maybe extends as a working station for camping or setting up.. plus lights, plus plus plus.. :)..

Last edited:
Rob if you need switch plates, I'd highly recommend these guys. We just put a dual battery setup in my friends Subie and at the same time put in a relay block for lights, compressor, etc controlled by an 8-switch panel. Very nice quality, back lighted, etc.

Gaugeplates.com, your home for custom gauge and switch plates

Rob, how's this project going?

Ditto - looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I've been at a standstill... Trying to get wood shop time. I've been working out mounting details, ordered and received latches, designing locking storage and sub woofer positioning.

What I have been doing is the aux electrical work in the truck.

I know I suck.

Sent from my iPad 2 using IH8MUD

Rob,

You have started something here and a lot of are watching and waiting to see what you build. Me included.

The pressure is on my friend.

I built wooden drawers fabbed by Warfield Off Road 1 1/2 years ago. They were perfectly silent for about a year, but these last six month they annoyingly creak and groan over every bump and turn. I took care when building that a limited amount of wood-on-wood contact occurred, but you can't avoid it all.

I see a metal set in my future - I have very little tolerance of interior noises.

^^Same here!! It is on my "to do" list to silence the drawers, somehow :rolleyes:. Not sure if it is totally possible, I hate interior noises!!

I built wooden drawers fabbed by Warfield Off Road 1 1/2 years ago. They were perfectly silent for about a year, but these last six month they annoyingly creak and groan over every bump and turn. I took care when building that a limited amount of wood-on-wood contact occurred, but you can't avoid it all.

I see a metal set in my future - I have very little tolerance of interior noises.

^^Same here!! It is on my "to do" list to silence the drawers, somehow :rolleyes:. Not sure if it is totally possible, I hate interior noises!!

Keep in mind that metal isn't necessarily silent either. Any metal:metal contact will be amplified as a metallic rattle unless you wrap all of your goods and carpet the drawers.

FYI, I took the top off of my Warfield drawer system and laid down camper tape on every exposed piece of wood. Seems to have eliminated the majority of the squeaks. I still have one I am trying to track down.....

This maybe too late in the build process. If you put a thin shim/filler that is made of either of flexible plastic such as Delrin or Crfp that would keep the squeaks to none. In between the 2 pieces of wood or metal to wood. we use this allot to shim allot of stuff and the eliminate the squeaks. As you most likely know airplanes flex and expand during flight. Even the 787 uses allot of this too.

How do you feel about the subs firing towards the back of the seats? There's no reflection. I can tell a huge difference when I have my 8w7 firing against the seats vs. firing towards the tailgate. Thus being the reason I haven't built my drawers yet.

The sub box is built and working perfectly. 2 JL 8's hit pretty good. Nice and tight - no boom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom