1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 Headunit Replacement?

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by toyotaman, Dec 8, 2003.

1. toyotaman

toyotaman

The CD player on my '99 Cruiser is busted and I want to replace the factory headunit.

The Crutchfield website says that there are no installation instructions or wiring harness available.

Does someone know what year/vehicle model would be the most similar to mine so I could order instructions and a wiring harness?

Also, any recommendations for a aftermarket headunit which would fit with the interior form and function of a '99 would be great. Pictures are definitely a plus.

For those who have done it before how difficult will the installation be?

2. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    It is not worth it to replace the stock cd player with a stock one, to expensive. Mine broke and I bought an aftermarket one. Most should fit because the opening in the 99 is double din (pretty sure). But if you do replace the stock w/ stock shouldn't it come w/ all the install things needed? I would reccomend a single din aftermarket cd player with removable face plate. This will leave a storage area under it, pretty usefull. I had mine installed at a shop (Tweeter) and it looks great, no rough edges and stuff. Also, a shop like Best Buy or Tweeter can sell you all the parts needed to do a self install. Self install in the 99 is harder than probably expected. The factory headunit sends out a very weak signal to the stock amp, which sends a stronger singnal to speakers. An aftermarket headunit has a strong signal straight from it. This will burn out the factory amp, you will need to by pass the factory amp to use the aftermarket head unit. This is what I was told Tweeter did when they did my install. I found that the factory speakers can go much louder when given more power than the factory amp will allow.

-Matt

3. toyotaman

toyotaman

Matt,
    What unit did you choose to go with? How well does it fit with the rest of your dash in appearance?

4. 80and100cruisers

80and100cruisers SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have a Panasonic. It is the model with the big blue screen. I think the blue is cool, and don't mind it with the stock green backlight buttons. It is from 2-3 years ago, so the updated model will vary, but same idea. It has few buttons, but they are easily memorized, and I adjust controls w/o looking at radio while driving.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...?s=0&c=3&g=300&I=133DF783&o=m&a=1&cc=01&avf=Y

That link shows basically an updated version of what I have.

It is very obvious I have an aftermarket unit, but I dont mind that.

-Matt