1 piston replacement (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow land cruisers!

Looking for a little guidance for a very unfortunate situation I have on my hands.

Did the tune up for a week ago, and when I started it it was all rattly. I shut it off right away thought maybe I had firing order wrong, but that was right, started it again and it kinda made weird rattling noise and started smoking as i was shutting it off again.

I got the skinny camera out and checked all the cylinders, and turns out #5 piston has a hole and some dents. Got the head off last night, the bottom side for cylinder 5 is destroyed.

I am fortunate enough to have another engine out of the same year, somewhat unknown condition. Story goes it needs rings.

So, my question is: obviously I need to replace the head, what about the single piston? From what I've read there's three different diameter ones, so crossing my fingers the other engine I have has the same diameter ones. If it does, what is the consensus on swapping a piston over?

I know you're all wondering what the holes from. It either disintegrated, or is in the oil pan, which I haven't pulled the oil pan off yet. Looks like it was some small screw or something. I didn't hear or see anything while I was doing the plugs. What the hell are the odds of a screw falling in that tiny little spark plug hole, and making it through the even smaller hole in the bottom!! Who knew one screw could cost so much....... ow

Hello fellow land cruisers!

Looking for a little guidance for a very unfortunate situation I have on my hands.

Did the tune up for a week ago, and when I started it it was all rattly. I shut it off right away thought maybe I had firing order wrong, but that was right, started it again and it kinda made weird rattling noise and started smoking as i was shutting it off again.

I got the skinny camera out and checked all the cylinders, and turns out #5 piston has a hole and some dents. Got the head off last night, the bottom side for cylinder 5 is destroyed.

I am fortunate enough to have another engine out of the same year, somewhat unknown condition. Story goes it needs rings.

So, my question is: obviously I need to replace the head, what about the single piston? From what I've read there's three different diameter ones, so crossing my fingers the other engine I have has the same diameter ones. If it does, what is the consensus on swapping a piston over?

I know you're all wondering what the holes from. It either disintegrated, or is in the oil pan, which I haven't pulled the oil pan off yet. Looks like it was some small screw or something. I didn't hear or see anything while I was doing the plugs. What the hell are the odds of a screw falling in that tiny little spark plug hole, and making it through the even smaller hole in the bottom!! Who knew one screw could cost so much....... ow

330124595_229205466143482_5440269145132628192_n.jpg

334893926_738367687787437_2517043339081904763_n.jpg

334767610_1891306407902291_5046646053412406489_n.jpg

332312896_1161976217811804_1304677338301339949_n.jpg

You can replace one piston they will be the same size as long as either motor has never been rebuilt. The question is how are you going to hone the block for the new rings. Also you can’t buy just one ring you have to buy a set and OEM ones are a couple hundred bucks. There are OEM alternatives. If you are going to pull motor now is the time for a rebuild.

Also if whatever damaged that is in you pan it could have messed up your crank. Highly doubt it it’s probably laying in the bottom. Did you break off a piece of your spark plug when doing plugs?

You can replace one piston they will be the same size as long as either motor has never been rebuilt. The question is how are you going to hone the block for the new rings. Also you can’t buy just one ring you have to buy a set and OEM ones are a couple hundred bucks. There are OEM alternatives. If you are going to pull motor now is the time for a rebuild.
hone piston after old one is out? this is where my knowledge drops off. Would the rings on the good piston from the second motor work ? or are new rings a must?
(and thanks you for your relpies)

Also if whatever damaged that is in you pan it could have messed up your crank. Highly doubt it it’s probably laying in the bottom. Did you break off a piece of your spark plug when doing plugs?
No damage to plugs. I'm SUPER curious to see what it was

So rings are a wear item that coincide with the cylinder as they make a sealing surface. You would need to hone the cylinder in the block. Assuming the cylinder walls have no scaring from that debris. Then get new rings for That piston and slap it in.

So rings are a wear item that coincide with the cylinder as they make a sealing surface. You would need to hone the cylinder in the block. Assuming the cylinder walls have no scaring from that debris. Then get new rings for That piston and slap it in.
Tiny little mar in cylinder, but barely perceptible to the fingernail. i think I'd be comfortable after a hone.
NEW rings noted.

Anyone have a few extra laying around? LOL

Think there would there be a break-in period for those new rings?

Tiny little mar in cylinder, but barely perceptible to the fingernail. i think I'd be comfortable after a hone.
NEW rings noted.

You'll need to pull the engine to have a cylinder hone done. Because of that the crankshaft will need to be pulled. Assuming all cylinders are in spec. They all should be honed. Pistons fitted with new rings.
Depending on your budget and future use, the above is the minimum. New pistons, bearings, etc. Wouldn't be a bad idea, "while you're in there."
And, yes, new moving parts DO require break-in.
Have fun.

oooh fun! Thanks for all the quick replies!

You'll need to pull the engine to have a cylinder hone done. Because of that the crankshaft will need to be pulled. Assuming all cylinders are in spec. They all should be honed. Pistons fitted with new rings.
Depending on your budget and future use, the above is the minimum. New pistons, bearings, etc. Wouldn't be a bad idea, "while you're in there."
And, yes, new moving parts DO require break-in.
Have fun.
I guess tell him to do it the right way if you’re gonna give advice! Solid!

In relation to the above referenced debacle, do any of you have a machine shop in the Loveland area, or potentially fort Collins, that you've had work done at and have been very pleased with their quality and service.

One place I talked to was booked out 6 months, and we're not able to give me any references as all of the shops that used to refer to have all closed. I'm probably just in the wrong loop.

Thanks in advance

NEW rings noted.

I have a brand new set of standard OEM piston rings and old pistons from my last engine rebuild that I could sell - two of the pistons have some damage to the skirts but the rest are good. I think I also have piston bushings if needed.

You need to look at the stamped piston/block diameter markings as well. I believe there were 3 "standard" piston sizes.

I have a brand new set of standard OEM piston rings and old pistons from my last engine rebuild that I could sell - two of the pistons have some damage to the skirts but the rest are good. I think I also have piston bushings if needed.

You need to look at the stamped piston/block diameter markings as well. I believe there were 3 "standard" piston sizes.
There were 3. Mine are 2B / 40.

I might take the rings, but already have a spare engine on hand, although it looks like it has 300k with 30k between oil changes
Will let you know.

I'm really looking for a machine shop reference or two.. thanks though!

There were 3. Mine are 2B / 40.

I might take the rings, but already have a spare engine on hand, although it looks like it has 300k with 30k between oil changes
Will let you know.

I'm really looking for a machine shop reference or two.. thanks though!
Mine were all stamped "2" if you happen to need any.

Let me know about the rings, they are still in the original Toyota OEM box. 13011-66021

1679066691227.png

Mine were all stamped "2" if you happen to need any.

Let me know about the rings, they are still in the original Toyota OEM box. 13011-66021

View attachment 3274743

ONLY a 2? min have 2B ... not sure what the others marking or what the marking convention is

i'm actually considering a reman or having one of these redone.

Anyone have recent experience with that who could share some pricing / cost and where it was done and any other deets ?

i'm actually considering a reman or having one of these redone.

Anyone have recent experience with that who could share some pricing / cost and where it was done and any other deets ?
What are you looking to be redone. My machine shop in Oregon charges around 800 to machine the head. I provide valve guide seals. A block betting bored out and decked is around 900 with me providing new pistons, rings, main bearings and connecting rod bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom