1/4 eplitcal suspension??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
I Was Wondering What Type Of Spring Pack Is Used For Elliptical? I Have A Coil Setup Right Now. Its Completed Just Not Showen Completed In The Attachment. So Anyone If You Could, Give Me Some Tips, How To, Or Anthing That Can Help Me.

Thanks, Cameron
2161190_49.jpg

I use F350 rear spring packs with one leaf removed. I like the overload leaf in slowing the uptravel.
RearSpring-1.JPG

They flex pretty well:rolleyes:
DSCF0056.jpg

Just wondering why run leaf springs when your already linked for coils? Do leaf springs control the weight better?

Good question Al, i was wondering the same thing.

Im Still Expermenting With The Coils And The Quarters. But I Have Seen Both Setups In Cruise Moab Of 2004. It Seemed The Quarters Had More Flex, And Less Bounce To Me. And I Have Also Made A Design For The Quarters To Achive More Flex Without Spring Twist, Though They Have Not Been Tested Yet... And I Have'nt Ran The Coils, Im Still In The Process Of Build.

bandy rooster said:
is that cruiser frame? are you planning on boxing the frame rails in ?

Yes It Is A Stock 73 Cruiser Frame. And Yes I Will Be Enclosing The Frame. I Have Noticed A Lot Of Stress Cracks Around The Old Spring Mounts.

Medusa said:
I use F350 rear spring packs with one leaf removed. I like the overload leaf in slowing the uptravel.
RearSpring-1.JPG

DSCF0056.jpg

How Much Did The Springs Cost, And Are They Stock Springs, Or Lifted Springs?

Thanks For The Help.

rear springs, can get them almost for free if you know where to look. most 4wheel drive shops take them off when lifting the trucks as the kits come with new springs. i got mine for free from a friend that dug them out of 4wheel parts trash bin. they had like 12 miles on them. the f250 springs are the same except no overload i think. not sure on that though... i know they look the same. mine came off an '05 f350 superduty truck so im told..

chris:cool:

A 1/4 eliptic suspension will not always flex more than a coil setup. My rear setup on my 40 will outflex the 15" travel shocks I have.

Bounce will not change either. Proper shock placement and choice will help in that dept (and proper link geometry)

Mace said:
A 1/4 eliptic suspension will not always flex more than a coil setup. My rear setup on my 40 will outflex the 15" travel shocks I have.

Bounce will not change either. Proper shock placement and choice will help in that dept (and proper link geometry)

SO why leaf instead of coil then?

Medusa said:
RearSpring-1.JPG

DSCF0056.jpg

ohh man, that thing is beautiful.... nice job

lowtideride said:

Pretty sure cost could be one issue, second maybe cause he has the cruiser frame and not enough room to run coils without some extensive work.

Overall cheaper and easier (I think), Woody or Jack would have to answer this question just a observation.

Rob

The first attached picture at the beginning of this thread shows the coils that Full_M3tal is considering replacing. I am confident that any well-designed quarter elliptical setup will flex far better than those particular coils, and given the same suspension (including shocks) produce less wheel hop. A quarter elliptical spring, used in a reasonable 4-link suspension behaves very differently than a normal (i.e., half elliptical) leaf spring system, so it is not entirely appropriate to lump them together in the general term "leaf spring system".

Full_M3tal: mine are used (salvage yard) springs from the rear of an F350 SuperDuty. IIRC, I paid $40 for them. Some F250 SuperDuty trucks also use them. The desirable packs can be identified by the presence of the overload leaf on the bottom of the OEM pack.

Radd Cruisers said:
Pretty sure cost could be one issue, second maybe cause he has the cruiser frame and not enough room to run coils without some extensive work.

Overall cheaper and easier (I think), Woody or Jack would have to answer this question just a observation.

Rob

I don't think cost or lack of room for coils is an issue here. There's enough room for coils directly under the rear frame. You just gotta box in an area for the upper coil bucket to sit flat. I think it'd be a wash on the cost factor. Why some choose leafs over coils *is mainly a personal preference IMO.

IMO, it is easier to achieve a balanced suspension when using leaves...additionally, leaves tend to be more progressive in their rate, and it's very easy to simply add or remove a leaf to change that rate.

My rear packs are from a "heavy" 1/2-ton Chev van....2.5" wide springs (versus Jack's 3" wide ones). One of the critical issues on 1/4 ellips is to use a thick spring....Toyota leaves are poor choices since they are so thin.

While you CAN successfully "balance" a suspension with a SOA front and coil rear, many seems to flex great with the coils and not much in front. (LAME's ended up nicely on his Jeep...but I think that's in part due to using Toyota springs in front...thin and flexy)

Room is not much of an issue. It IS much eastier to balance and tune a set of leaves than a set of coils...

I like my coils, they are easier IMHO, and flex is not a factor. but tuning is a LOT easier with leaves...

Again, Hop is based on shocks and link geometry. Springs have nothing to do with wheel hop..

Ok I'll Just Sum It Up...Coils Are Over Rated... Hahaha You Know How Many Cruisers Have Coils Comparied To 1/4 Epliptacal? Slim To None... It's Always Good To Be A Little Different... I Just Like The Unique-Ness Of It All... That Is If You Know What Mean?:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom