1/4 eplitcal suspension??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks For All The Help, And Agruements, This Has Helped Me Out Very Much... I Will Let You Know How It All Works Out.... Note Dont Go To All Pro They Want 200$ For The Rear Laefs... Im Going To Try Out Some fj40 2"lift springs, 8Pack. Had Them Lying On The Shelf.

hhhmmmmm i like it!! mine does need some more flex!

Mace said:
Room is not much of an issue. It IS much eastier to balance and tune a set of leaves than a set of coils...

I like my coils, they are easier IMHO, and flex is not a factor. but tuning is a LOT easier with leaves....

All hypothetical thinking here.. But if run a 1/4 elip. pack, it's accepted that it's best to use a pack with thick leaves, right?

So a 3 leaf pack having a total of 500lb-in would have each leaf possibly having a rate of ~175lb-in.
An identical pack, but 7 leaf, would have each leaf with ~75 lb-in.

Obviously, pulling 1 leaf from the 7 leaf pack makes a much smaller impact on spring rate than pulling one from the 3-leaf pack.

And, you're limited to the length of the leaf spring you designed your mounts around..

Whereas with coils, yes, you can't just "adjust" the spring rate, you have to replace coils, but that's a R&R thing, seems alot easier to me, but certainly not cheaper, unless you have access to a bunch of cheap/free coils, or your vendor lets you swap them out...

How is a 1/4 elip easier to tune than a coil setup? (I'm not for or against either setup, just pondering..)

Why would thick leaves be better???

With a bunch of thinner leaves in a leaf style suspension it is a lot easier to fin tune things. The problem with coils is that if you play with them a lot you end up wit a pile of slinkies sittinga round that take up a lot more space.

thick leaves are less likely to be damaged during use...additionally, one thin leaf in 1/2 ellip (normal) use = the same rate as one thick leaf in 1/4 ellip use.

Fry runs thin ones, and has had to replace them a few times...mine are still solid.

Ok Well Then.. After Finding A Few Parts Lay-ing Around, I Torched, Grinded Alot, Welded, Broke Frame, Welded Some More, And Found Out I Need Some New Shackles. I Will Have Some Pics Up Tonight. Its A Make Shift Fab But It Works....

Son of a B*&^h thats gonna leave a mark...........

Talk about flex envy.

Hmmm..

attachment.php

Flex is about shock placement and spring choice.
Not about spring type.

My rig looks small with 40's :(

Pittbull needs to start making the 44's

Mace said:
Hmmm..

attachment.php

Not about spring type.

My rig looks small with 40's :(

Pittbull needs to start making the 44's

yeah as long as there not also 44 " wide:flipoff2:

You guys REALLY need to stop posting pics of 40's on Rockwell's.. I've been fighting the urge for quite some time now... Must keep repeating.. "light is right...light is right...rockwells are right.." AGH!!!

*thud*

lowtideride said:
yeah as long as there not also 44 " wide:flipoff2:
Same width as the 39.5's actually ;)

Not about spring type.

Not entirely true, Mace, for quarter elliptical suspensions. It depends on how the spring pack is anchored to the frame. In the traditional 1/4 like mine, where the spring pack is anchored firmly to the frame the axle can only drop as far as the spring pack will allow (without breaking the primary leaf).On the Proffitt rigs the spring pack is anchored to the frame with a bushing. This allows the entire spring pack to rotate downward on extension, thus allowing for much more drop. There is no way my suspension will drop as much as the Proffitt rigs', regardless of how long of shocks I had. The photo of Tigger shows this well.

Full-Figured Bitches are COOL:cool: :cool: :cool:

HIGHLYF said:
Jack is right, 1/4 flexes pretty well. The pics below show a little proof. Mine (the mustard 40) uses FJ60 springs w/ 2 extra leafs added... they haven't sagged a bit. The orange buggy uses FJ40 springs, still no problem. Coils provide a nice ride, just not as much travel as 1/4... IMO :cheers:

Te Orange, Is That A Shot Before Rim Or Poison Spider?

Sorry About Pics, Camera Diffaculties*... Most Likley Have Some Up Todey I Hope...

Thanks For The Pics

Yeah,
But that is kinda what I am saying. Almost any spring type (coil or 1/4) can have an amazing amount of flex. It has to be limited by something. Your 1/4 is bolted to the frame. Proffitt's have a bushing. Others don't even anchor the leaf to the axle at all. Simple coils can have a tremendous amount of flex as well (some will obviously flex more than others) butt hat typically requires a very long coil, or one that is not retained at the frame end. It is not the type of spring that says you cannot get flex but more a factor of how and where you mount the springs and shocks. I can get a ton of flex out of a leaf spring if I mount them on either side of the pumpkin ;)

Once you get to the huge amounts of flex you are looking at having to mount the shocks inboard or at an angle so that they will not become the limiting factor in droop. Typically 14" travel shocks are the max that is available (although there is a 20" travel shock made by skyjacker and obviously the more expensive fox/saw/king shocks are available) so getting 3 feet of travel out of a 14" shock means positioning is important. Which typically reduces how effective the shock is to the rig.

I fought with this for a while on my rig. I had no good way of running shocks at a reasonable angle and still keep the amount of flex with the coils. I ended up using the BBCS 15" travel shocks in the fenderwell at about 10* from vertical. It still limits flex a bit but oh well.

Another thing.. I am curious to see what your rig would do if you kept your suspension design and stuffed a set of rockwells and 44's under it.

I bet it would come close to tigger...
:D

Wonder how that design works on hill decents, does the spring unload abruply??

[On the Proffitt rigs the spring pack is anchored to the frame with a bushing. This allows the entire spring pack to rotate downward on extension, thus allowing for much more drop.

Full-Figured Bitches are COOL:cool: :cool: :cool:[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom