07 LX470 Alternator Covered in Oil, Leak under timing belt cover? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's up!, Long time reader and a Honda guy so this has been my go-to forum for any problems with my friends 07 LX470 155k Miles but I can't seem to find a thread with a similar leak and where it came from, I was 99.9% sure it was the valve cover gasket because it was just barely seeping on the corner so i replaced it, Brake cleaned the area but now i still see fresh oil under i believe the timing belt cover and it's too tight for me to definitively see where it's coming, So basically new valve cover gasket about 4 months ago and carfax shows timing belt service done at the dealer at around 90k miles if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if i spray it down today and check it daily to get a better assessment but maybe someone knows exactly what it is, Is there a end cap inside the cover? o-ring? common problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

IMG_1414.JPG

IMG_1418.JPG

IMG_6614.JPG

IMG_6617.JPG

IMG_6627.JPG

when my alternator died it was because my VCG's were leaking oil onto it. My 06 LX has a "drip pan" around the engine - if that's got oil. I'd check your VCG's

If your power steering reservoir is not missing any hydraulic oil then this could be from cam seal. Cam seal replacement on vvti 2uz isn't easy but doable at home if you have the experience of timing belt replacement.

Last edited:
My guess would be Cam seal, it could also be the VCG. since it's near the area of the cam seal try pulling back the timing cover and see if you could find the seal wet. Like @Kamran Khan stated Cam seal on a VVTi engine is not fun check out YT videos on what is involved.

You can pull off the inspection covers on the timing belt and use an inspection flashlight to get a view of the cam seals.

When was the last time the timing belt was done?

VCG = Valve cover gaskets? I have four 2UZ-FE vehicles and can confirm that at 15+ years the VCGs dry out and start weeping. You can try tightening the valve cover bolts but the torque specs on them are very low so just a light hand snug. If you decide to replace the gaskets, for sure replace the bolts/spring washers. Following to see if it ends um being cam seal....ugh.

Valve cover gaskets are super easy. I second cam seals since it’s in the front. Be very careful with that repair, or in choosing the shop. As vvt, it’s a bear.

Figure out the cause by spraying off everything with brake cleaner and monitor where the oil starts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom