'06 4Runner Frame Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 15 Year old S.E. Michigan 4R frame needed some TLC. After removal, surgery, a short acid bath, new e-coat and a few quarts of Rust-Oleum Tractor Enamel, looks almost good as new.
IMG_4909.JPG

IMG_5109.JPG

IMG_5922.JPG

IMG_5933.JPG

Wow! Amazing work. I'm in Lansing, MI and my 2004 GX could definitely stand to have its frame refreshed. You may have just given me the motivation to do a frame off resto...
Thanks for compliments!!
I figured once the engine, rear diff., fuel tank was removed, might as well remove the Frame. It's only 8 bolts... International Paint Stripping in Romulus dipped and e-coated the frame, rear diff and tank protector. Picking up the trans cooler lines later today. Hopefully make all the connections and fill with fluids and turn key this weekend.

A few more pic's of the frame and underbody
IMG_5921.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

**** me that looks great!
What did you do to spiffy up the 2UZ?

**** me that looks great!
What did you do to spiffy up the 2UZ?
Thank you. 2UZ is all original, 298K miles. I know a Toyota Tech at the local dealer for 30 years and has never been inside of a 2UZ. Except, one that did not get a new timing belt which required heads to come off and fix the valves. His suggestion, if it does not make any noise or leak any fluids, leave it alone. Same for trans and transfer case. Otherwise, new Timing belt, new P/S pump and rack, new alternator, new starter, new compressor, new front suspension, ARB air lockers front and rear, TRD Pro suspension from 5th gen 4R, Bilstein 400 Lb. rear coils, Eastwood Platinum Rust Encapsulator on the underbody and Duraback smooth bedliner on top of the Eastwood. Fluid Film inside the frame rails. Will be staring the same process on '96 Tacoma in a couple of months.

Well phenomenal work! My 07 V8 4R has a special place in my heart and I will never sell it. It’s got 200k miles on it and I’m the original owner. Been all over the country and the 2UZ drives like the day I drove it off the lot.

Going to try DIYing the TB this year as it’s (past) due.

Thank you. 2UZ is all original, 298K miles. I know a Toyota Tech at the local dealer for 30 years and has never been inside of a 2UZ. Except, one that did not get a new timing belt which required heads to come off and fix the valves. His suggestion, if it does not make any noise or leak any fluids, leave it alone. Same for trans and transfer case. Otherwise, new Timing belt, new P/S pump and rack, new alternator, new starter, new compressor, new front suspension, ARB air lockers front and rear, TRD Pro suspension from 5th gen 4R, Bilstein 400 Lb. rear coils, Eastwood Platinum Rust Encapsulator on the underbody and Duraback smooth bedliner on top of the Eastwood. Fluid Film inside the frame rails. Will be staring the same process on '96 Tacoma in a couple of months.

Well phenomenal work! My 07 V8 4R has a special place in my heart and I will never sell it. It’s got 200k miles on it and I’m the original owner. Been all over the country and the 2UZ drives like the day I drove it off the lot.

Going to try DIYing the TB this year as it’s (past) due.
Thanks again. Timing belt is pretty straight forward. I purchased an Aisin T/B kit. The instructions are easy to follow, just take your time and double check everything. And check the cam seals while you're in there. Little more work, but worth the time to replace. Good luck!

Thanks again. Timing belt is pretty straight forward. I purchased an Aisin T/B kit. The instructions are easy to follow, just take your time and double check everything. And check the cam seals while you're in there. Little more work, but worth the time to replace. Good luck!
I think my PS cam seal is seeping. It’s totally inconsequential so deciding whether or not to go for it.

Damn this is awesome! Props to you for going all out

Very nice work. How many hours invested into this?

Do you have a before acid dip and after acid dip picture?

Thanks for the compliments. How many hours? Too many and don't want to know. I took the frame out August 2020, cut out all of the cancer, and stitched back together up until about mid December 2020. Dropped of the frame for stripping and e-coat early December 2020 and picked up the frame mid January 2021. Attached are some before and after e-coating. As well as some pic's of what the frame rails were hiding inside of them. After cutting off the end of the frame rails, I was able to get the garden hose inside the rails and flushed out over 30 Lbs. of rust, sand and dirt. Rust was obvious. The holes caused by the rust were hidden which required removing the Rear lower control arm mounts. The trans. crossmember mounts and fabricating a new rear bumper and reattaching the #4 cab mounts. And incorporating the receiver into the rear bumper cross member. It's intended for recovery only, no towing. I'll upload some more pic's later.
IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4587.JPG
IMG_4916.JPG
IMG_4923.JPG
IMG_4951.JPG

Thanks for the compliments. How many hours? Too many and don't want to know. I took the frame out August 2020, cut out all of the cancer, and stitched back together up until about mid December 2020. Dropped of the frame for stripping and e-coat early December 2020 and picked up the frame mid January 2021. Attached are some before and after e-coating. As well as some pic's of what the frame rails were hiding inside of them. After cutting off the end of the frame rails, I was able to get the garden hose inside the rails and flushed out over 30 Lbs. of rust, sand and dirt. Rust was obvious. The holes caused by the rust were hidden which required removing the Rear lower control arm mounts. The trans. crossmember mounts and fabricating a new rear bumper and reattaching the #4 cab mounts. And incorporating the receiver into the rear bumper cross member. It's intended for recovery only, no towing. I'll upload some more pic's later. View attachment 2735186View attachment 2735187View attachment 2735188View attachment 2735189View attachment 2735190

A few pic's after the acid dip, e-coat, front and rear suspension assembly
IMG_5303.JPG
WBAT5922.JPG
IMG_5466.jpg
IMG_5314.JPG

Just stumbled into this thread. Spectacular work!
Thanks! I would not say spectacular. But thanks again.

Getting ready to do the same for my '96 Tacoma. The frame on the Tacoma is in much better shape than the 4Runner.

Bob

IMG_5800.jpg

Wow, great work.

What would you do if you just had two spots by the catalytic converters, one rusted through on drivers side and one just thinned on passenger side?

I don’t think it needs a frame off but have no experience with this kind of stuff. Rest of frame/body in good shape and only 80000 miles (2005).

F492C92E-FCC1-4DE1-B080-807F46350AEB.jpeg

D7AB7E25-19F6-4478-BC34-356F62BFEE7F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom