05 Tundra fuel filter mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SUMMIT CRUISERS

SILVER Star
Threads
About 2.5 years and 80k ago I changed my fuel pump assembly out due to loss of power. Strainer was obviously clogged at that time. Last weekend I had to drop the tank again to do the same. This time I had P0171 and P0174 codes popping up. I knew the fuel pump strainer was probably clogged again. Anyway this time I removed the little strainer on the fuel pump and added an inline filter on the frame rail. Tank was spotless and had some very small particles in the fuel pump assembly. Anyway, I cut out about 6” of the steel fuel line and installed a 10 micron plastic clear filter so I could monitor it when needing changing. Here’s a few pics. New filter added, removed fuel line and small strainer removed.
I really wish Mr. T would have used a much bigger fuel pump strainer and added an in-line fuel filter.

E4063ED5-C444-4717-8547-2CC0C0378B84.jpeg

E869A2AC-EE05-4B1F-AEA2-29E00206FDDF.jpeg

8E73830C-D1CC-43C2-B5C6-DFEC15123BEF.jpeg

Are you sure that filter is rated for the pressure of a fuel-injection fuel pump? I've never seen a plastic filter downstream of a high-pressure fuel pump. They're always pretty thick metal. The pressure is likely around 50 - 60 PSI. Even if the plastic one doesn't blow up immediately, it probably will once it gets a little clogged.

It's also pretty likely that the rubber hose will blow off of the metal line unless you were able to flare it with the little balloon-shaped flare that factory metal to rubber connections have.

Good point! @Sturmcrow. I will probably get a metal 10 micron for piece of mind if the plastic one every fails. So far all good here. The filter is 10 micron which is the finest I could find that I could see if it needed to be changed. Gone through about about 4 tanks so far and performance is back and no issues at all.

Good point! @Sturmcrow. I will probably get a metal 10 micron for piece of mind if the plastic one every fails. So far all good here. The filter is 10 micron which is the finest I could find that I could see if it needed to be changed. Gone through about about 4 tanks so far and performance is back and no issues at all.
I am glad to hear that it has worked for some time now. I imagine if it does fail it will be a separation where the dissimilar plastics are welded together. I joined the forum this morning just to warn you as I imagine a small jet of gasoline spraying at 50 PSI onto hot exaust could have interesting consequences. Nice forum though. I've got an '06 Tundra and am flirting with the idea of an '05 - '07 Sequoia.

Thanks for the heads up. Come to think about it, why would I need to see how clean or dirty the fuel filter is? As soon as my performance drops down, I will just need to change the filter. Going to change out to a metal one asap.

Thanks for the heads up. Come to think about it, why would I need to see how clean or dirty the fuel filter is? As soon as my performance drops down, I will just need to change the filter. Going to change out to a metal one asap.
Maybe see if you can borrow the correct flare tool too for the metal lines. A little bump in the OD will help keep the rubber tubing from pushing off.

I have not personally seen it happen on fuel lines, but my dad did end up stranded when his rubber lines pushed off of the metal line shortly after installing a transmission cooler. Those worm-gear hose clamps are only so strong.

There’s really no need to flare the lines. The filter is installed in the middle of the metal line with both ends being fixed. I also only cut about an inch extra of the metal line to fit the filter. So there’s no slop or play in the hoses.

Really cool mod you did there! This hasn't been an issue for me but I'll definitely consider going this route.

So your plastic line is able to hold up to the pressure of the fuel in the steel line? That's really impressive!

The clear filter is nice to see to make sure it's actually that issue in the future but a metal one will have better longevity.

Can't wait to see more!

No plastic line just the clear plastic filter. Just cut out about 6” of the 3/8” metal line and added a filter that takes up about 5”. Haven’t changed the plastic filter out to metal yet.

No plastic line just the clear plastic filter. Just cut out about 6” of the 3/8” metal line and added a filter that takes up about 5”. Haven’t changed the plastic filter out to metal yet.
Ah silly me. Must have misread that. I just looked at the photo again, and you're using regular / soft tube fuel line which is what I meant.

Update today. About 16 months and 50K later changed the original plastic filter to another. Filters are from different manufacturers but the original one looks a little “bloated” I can say. All going well. Still have 2 metal filters in my console if an issue with the plastic one arises.
42628422-E21D-4B35-A364-4DF4BD56A4E5.jpeg
05721AEC-CC4B-41DB-B9FF-1198BE1F2CAD.jpeg

Maybe see if you can borrow the correct flare tool too for the metal lines. A little bump in the OD will help keep the rubber tubing from pushing off.

I have not personally seen it happen on fuel lines, but my dad did end up stranded when his rubber lines pushed off of the metal line shortly after installing a transmission cooler. Those worm-gear hose clamps are only so strong.
Sturm, Here's a thought (& cheap "insurance"), as a large vessel owner, even though it's a diesel, there are lots of lines & hoses running thru vessels. 1-Always Stainless Steel Only for the clamps and 2-Add another! 2 Clamps are always better than 1, side by side, and (per the pic) You have plenty of room for them? Yes, it's a little more hassle & money, however, I like less worry in life. As noted previously, gasoline at 50-60psi & hot exhausts are not a healthy combo? I have an '03 Tundra, going to be doing exactly as You did, Where You did! (well, w/steel filter) ;)

Yikes, I don't like the bloatedness. I'd get a metal one on there and go with the 2 clamps as suggested.
$10. every 100k mi. seems like a really cheap insurance to me, & much easier than tank dropping (not that it isn't also required). As a diesel mechanic I once knew used to say: There Is No Such Thing as too many fuel filters, only not enough fuel pumps!

Alright. Got the metal one installed tonight with doubled up hose clamps. Been putting on the miles lately and the thought of a failure got me to change. All going well.
3BE72B72-4528-4FF1-ADB7-513FB9CB4A76.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom