'04 LC Aftermarket Head Unit w/Climate - It Can Be Done!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So one similar option I'm considering for my 2006 LX470 is to bypass the factory radio entirely and use the JL Audio CL-RLC to connect an aux cable straight to my aftermarket amp. It has a separate volume knob which I'd have to mount somewhere but that's the only major downside in my view. Everything I want to listen to is on my iphone anyway (the only radio I listen to is NPR and there's an app for that) and while a new display would be awesome it's not that important to me. This device is typically used to send a signal to a second amp and give you volume control for a sub, but it's also intended for this use as well. I'm planning to try this over the next few weeks as a way to get the audio system up and running quickly and if I don't like it I can always move to one of these other options down the road and then use the CL-RLC to control my sub. If I do like this system I'm thinking I might try to rewire it with factory volume knob. I don't know how feasible that is and I'm not an expert on these things. Any thoughts? Another option would be to get one of these aluminum replacement knobs for a more OEM look.

I'm installing nice components (DLS UP6i and UP4) so currently I see this as my best option for getting a really clean signal and simplifying the installation since getting the speakers to fit is going to be enough work as it is. Has anyone else tried something like this before? Am I overlooking any major downsides? The main one I can think of is bluetooth calling but I'm wondering if there is a solution to that - something like the VAIS and GROM units but that doesn't need to integrate with the factory radio and just outputs to the aux. The perfect device would be something that does that and has a high quality DAC and can charge an iphone all at once, but at that point maybe it's worth going with what the OP did.

how are you going to wire that Soh, as a stand alone set up? iphone to rca input then variable +fixed output to your aftermarket amp and then out to all speakers, or 4 or whatever?
I was just wondering.

IF you send both variable and fixed out to a separate amp you don't need to mount the knob at all. Just match it to the fixed out and set the amp.
unless I'm wacky and have no idea what your doing haha

how are you going to wire that Soh, as a stand alone set up? iphone to rca input then variable +fixed output to your aftermarket amp and then out to all speakers, or 4 or whatever?
I was just wondering.

IF you send both variable and fixed out to a separate amp you don't need to mount the knob at all. Just match it to the fixed out and set the amp.
unless I'm wacky and have no idea what your doing haha

Don't think I've gotten that far but I think there are a number of ways to do it. I've read about some people just going straight into the amp and using the phone's volume controls but that seemed too sketch for me; not sure why so that's probably an irrational response. By "match it to the fixed" do you mean setting the gain to highest you'd want it on the amp (with the phone at full or or close to full volume) and then just using the phone for volume from there?

Not sure if this will help answer your question, but the amp is a JL Audio xd600/6v2. I'm going to wire the power for it and another Alpine 600w mono sub amp in the back. I'm going to cut and use the factory speaker wires but probably leave the factory amp in place for the time being. I'm installing 6.5 inch components in the front and 4 inch components in the rear (not sure if I'll use the rear tweeter) and then a 10 inch sub enclosure in the back.

sounds like that will pretty decent.
yes that's what I meant. I was just thinking about when you go to set the gains you have one fixed input and one variable with a knob. Thinking you want them as equal inputs. But mounting the knob is pretty simple also.
ON the LC pioneer decks the on/off/volume know is soldered directly to the front circuit board.
Unsure about the lexus.

I've never seen one of those CL-RLC s, seems like a good deal way to go with not much outlay.

Kinda curious why multiple people are doing the swap with a DVD player. If you’re just doing music throw in a shallow mechless receiver and it will fit nearly flush in the tape din. Connects blue tooth and you can listen through apps or get an xm tuner to add.

Depth isn't the single issue. Whatever faceplate/filler someone uses there's still the convex curves on the top and bottom. The edges of the knob holes in the stock radio filler plate are 8" apart edge to edge. So really you need a single din 1" spacer that's oversized by a 1/4" and then tapers back to 7x2 on the face. Then sound it down by hand to match the curves, or just the upper visible curve. mount that to your stock pioneer cover that you cut a 7x2 hole in. Now your 200$ used ebay pioneer is worthless. For me, I could never find a sleeve that would work. I'm sure there's someone that could make a fiberglass cover, or face plate to match the sub panel. That might be expensive. There isn't an easy solution. Depth, mount angle and face plate fillers make it ugly and time consuming.

Unless your lc is a show car you’re over complicating it. A shallow chassis depth allows you unbolt the tape player (I don’t know how it gets uglier than that thing) and slide an aftermarket (mechless) right in. I switched to the pioneer for higher audio quality but the jvc 330 unit faceplate protruded less than 1/4 of an inch. I used a piece of 1/8” plastic sheet black as a filler to For the empty space left by the tape deck footprint. The rough edges were hidden when I put the dash panel back over everything. You could paint this if you were so inclined but black suited me as I don’t have the wood dash.

I agree. I just wanted mine to look better. Not like something I did 30 years ago.

I chose to install this unit with the large display primarily because I got it in my head that I wanted Apple CarPlay. I drive a lot of rental cars and got to where I really like the CarPlay features, particularly Maps, Podcasts, Pandora, etc. I also wanted SiriusXM, which I listen to a lot.

HOWEVER, after I had it in for a couple of months I installed a Ram Mount where my iPhone 7 Plus sits right next to the receiver display, and I realized that all I really needed was that and a Bluetooth adapter (GROM, VAIS, etc). With a large iPhone screen sitting in a Ram mount, it essentially replicates the Pioneer display.

Would I do it again? Though it's really nice and I do like it a lot, probably not. I would just install one of the aforementioned BT units, replace all the speakers and maybe the amp, install an XM receiver (or just stream from my phone), and use the Ram mount.

Interested in going this route. Wondering if any trim pieces are available to give it an OEM look so the hole around the stereo isnt there

Use the big trim rings that come with some radios but does is that a big deal?

Interested in going this route. Wondering if any trim pieces are available to give it an OEM look so the hole around the stereo isnt there
After almost a year and a half, I still have’t fabricated or found a trim ring to cover it up; I just don’t notice it anymore and it’s well down my priority list of things I need to do.

That said, I had thought about a different head unit selection; the Alpine Halo is a 9” “floating” touchscreen and I think that the way it sits it would essentially cover up the hole around the chassis. Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309

Overall, I remain really happy with the setup and it has worked out great over numerous road trips plus my daily driving.

After almost a year and a half, I still have’t fabricated or found a trim ring to cover it up; I just don’t notice it anymore and it’s well down my priority list of things I need to do.

That said, I had thought about a different head unit selection; the Alpine Halo is a 9” “floating” touchscreen and I think that the way it sits it would essentially cover up the hole around the chassis. Alpine Halo9 iLX-F309

Overall, I remain really happy with the setup and it has worked out great over numerous road trips plus my daily driving.
Nice! The LX has a 2" by 6" slot and a regular single din has a 2" by 7" I think so the whole will be smaller and less noticible

Great job retrofitting. Can easily button that up with a fascia and look pretty dang good without going down a different road.

I would be worried about that alpine blocking the bottom buttons and 900 is a grip for something that doesn’t play cds or dvds.

I would be worried about that alpine blocking the bottom buttons and 900 is a grip for something that doesn’t play cds or dvds.
Very true on both counts. There just aren't very many options for a Car Play/Android Auto-compatible system that docks in a single-DIN slot. I had thought about fabricating something out of black vinyl to seal the empty space or trimming an oversize trim ring like someone mentioned. It really shouldn't be that hard to do.

Should also mention that I've never put a DVD or CD into the slot on my Pioneer. I didn't even realize it had a slot until I received it. I listen to XM, Pandora, and podcasts almost exclusively. That said, I did go ahead and install the parking brake bypass so technically the passengers could illegally be entertained with a movie on a road trip (or legally when parked somewhere).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom