'02 nav replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Checking out an LC this weekend with factory nav. I know the '03+ nav units are basically irreplaceable, but I was under the impression that 2000-2002 were. However, I'm starting to doubt myself.

How screwed am I if the unit fails? I'd love to replace the head unit but not sure if it's possible now. Is the head unit tied to the climate control like '03+? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 02 with Nav and it does include the climate controls as well. As far as I understood it, it can only be replaced with another stock unit, as far as a direct replacement.

Oz

Few months back, I found an ad in the Craigslist. You might want to contact Darryl Geller and see if this is possible. Phone number is 404-550-7511. He is in GA.

Give us an update.

@ozmanyyy - Do you mean the system is indeed tied into the nav unit?

@2003lx470 - What does Darryl do? Is it a specific business?

Does anyone know if I can replace the whole dash unit with a factory non-nav system and upgrade the head unit from there? I'm wondering how tied in the climate controls are, and how different they are compared to a non-nav unit.

Checking out an LC this weekend with factory nav. I know the '03+ nav units are basically irreplaceable, but I was under the impression that 2000-2002 were. However, I'm starting to doubt myself.

How screwed am I if the unit fails? I'd love to replace the head unit but not sure if it's possible now. Is the head unit tied to the climate control like '03+? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Check out rob reds tlcfaq.com site for a good overview of your options - or lack of.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD Forum

According to his site, there's no available options to replace the factory nav.

I'm still wondering how insane/possible it would be to pull out a non-nav system from a junked 100 (assuming I can find the parts first), and swap everything over. Would an audio shop have the skills to do this if it was indeed doable?

Why worry so much if the unit hasn't failed yet? I have 155k miles on my 2002 and am not the least bit worried about the MFD failing. While not an entirely uncommon occurrence, just cross that bridge when you get there.

I'm not as worried about it failing as I am about the cost to fix a system that I'm not happy with even when it works. I enjoy decent stereos and the options that come with aftermarket head units. I'd be pretty bummed if I'm stuck with a gimped system, but it's not the end of the world. After doing some research today, it's not as bad as the next gen nav units which seem to cost an arm and a leg to repair.

Just find a 2000-2002 without the navigation. They are out there. The 2000's had lots more LC's without the navigation than 2001 and 2002...at least that is what I have found. Both of my LX's don't have the navigation and I like it that way...I can go all aftermarket for navigation and tunes and not have a out-of-date, pixelated MFD taking up space. And not having to worry about it going out and taking the environmental controls with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom