02 LX 470 spiral cable air bag light question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Air bag light was one, horn and cruise not working. Figured it was spiral cable. Replaced it. Horn now works and cruise works but air bag light still on. Does the air bag light need to be manually reset or should it go off automatically if the spiral cable fixed the problem? I did check for continuity through the airbag portion of the spiral cable wire and there was none so it does seem that a spiral cable fault was at least one thing triggering the airbag warning light.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting yourself a copy of Techstream ( not very expensive to buy on ebay) This is dealer-level software , you
you can connect your laptop and clear all kinds of codes. I think airbag codes need to be cleared with Techstream (but I could be wrong)

Yes, just got the 100 Series and I've been looking for Techstream. It appears I need a Microsoft computer to run it? In only have a Macair at the moment. I did try my cheap OBDII scanner but it showed no codes.

Yes, just got the 100 Series and I've been looking for Techstream. It appears I need a Microsoft computer to run it? In only have a Macair at the moment. I did try my cheap OBDII scanner but it showed no codes.

Techstream will run within a VM without issue. All Macs in our house and no issues...other than I haven't figured out how to turn off the stupid airbag light after a spiral cable replacement (user error for sure, not very patient with janky windows software).

OBD scanners won't do anything for you. This one I think has to be Techstream DIY or dealer.

You can get an airbag code-reading OBD2 scanner for around $160 at Harbor Freight. I recently used one to diagnose my airbag light - it read (and was able to clear) all of the SRS/airbag codes. It was the whole clockspring in my rig, which I replaced for around $90.

You can get an airbag code-reading OBD2 scanner for around $160 at Harbor Freight. I recently used one to diagnose my airbag light - it read (and was able to clear) all of the SRS/airbag codes. It was the whole clockspring in my rig, which I replaced for around $90.
Thank you very much. I bought that code reader. It both read the codes and erased them getting rid of my airbag light. It had 4 codes all related to the failed clock spring/spiral cable. Harbor Freight even had an open box one so it only cost me $128. Not as versatile as Techstream but it does diagnose a far wider range of vehicles. My old scanner was a $20 which I bought 20 years ago so it was time for an upgrade.

The failed clock spring/spiral cable.

1860BA31-FD0E-46B3-8F59-7F1EE51DBB70.jpeg

9E529BC5-4752-445F-A9AA-15261FBF142C.jpeg

15C2799D-7B6F-4105-BDB1-12BEF54B7A89.jpeg

FE257189-DE0A-4993-995E-06E60DF608E4.jpeg

63615AC1-2809-42C1-821C-53F8245449C5.jpeg

I recently replaced the clock spring/spiral cable on our 02 LX470. It was in very bad shape when I disassembled the spring itself. All the insulation was gone from about 2" of the wire and the copper had been folded back on itself a number of times. Horn had been activating intermittently and cruise light going on and off. Airbag light was on. If the horn and cruise control were being activated by shorts in that cable, why wasn't the airbag? I've watched some Youtube videos and people explode airbags by just connecting the wires to a 12 volt battery. Did I just dodge a bullet or is there something in the airbag which would stop deployment if 12 volts were accidentally applied to the wires by a failure in the clock spring? Obviously the SRS computer had detected a problem as there were 3 codes stored but I don't understand how that computer could stop the airbag from firing if it can be fired out of the car with 12 volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom