Hj75 fan service. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a couple of pics taken while I serviced my fan. Thought I had better check it after I suggested to someone that theirs may not be 100%, better that than have egg on my face.LOL. There were no obvious oil leaks on the outside and from what I understand if the shaft seal is leaking it is a throw away situation, here in Oz anyway. New genuine app $170.00 and aftermarket app $100.00 to $125.00 [Kangaroo Dollars]
rainforrest782.jpg

rainforrest781.jpg

rainforrest780.jpg

rainforrest785.jpg

rainforrest784.jpg

These pics show the body separated and that the oil level is down and needs filling.Silicone oil part no 0881610001 is used to replenish the existing oil. It comes in small tubes of 18 ml. app cost $10.00.The housing can hold somewhere near 10 tubes of oil so if it is empty it would not be economical to refill it and would most likely be a write off anyway.As the oil is poured in the housing should be rotated to let out all the air bubbles.

rainforrest787.jpg

It took one tube to fill the body completely, make sure all the air bubbles are out of the oil and reassemble. The difference is quite noticeable in just adding one tube rotating the assembly by hand you can notice the more positive feel. There was no apparent mis function or any problems beforehand so I would expect that it could go as low as two or three tubes before malfunction sets in however a bit of maintenance is cheaper than a new fan. Hope this helps someone out. :cheers:

Anyone out there ever replace the works with an electric fan? Saw one done on a 4runner, looked pretty slick.

elecric?!? oh <shiver> the handy work of the devil himself...
i have heard just too many horro stories of the elecric fans causing more trouble than they are worth.
for me add a couple tubes of oil or go solid non clutch for a no trouble, no overheating cure...
cheers

did mine the summer past...took 3 tubes at $7.00 ea.....day and night differance in cooling....probably one of those best mods/repairs under $50.00!!
The beast roars now and you can hear her kick in !!

Daryl

crushers said:
elecric?!? oh <shiver> the handy work of the devil himself...
i have heard just too many horro stories of the elecric fans causing more trouble than they are worth.
for me add a couple tubes of oil or go solid non clutch for a no trouble, no overheating cure...
cheers
...and there you have it ;p ...

In Oz the local V8 and 6 cylinder cars have all gone electric with most now running very powerful twin fan set ups with an extra fan on the front for the aircon condenser.:D These work very well, pushing a lot more air than the conventional fan with the advantage that the fan can be at full speed while you are stationary or stuck in traffic traveling slow. :idea: This would be an advantage in a 4wd vehicle for on and off road use also it would be easy to switch the fan off with an over ride switch for deep water crossings. With the old model 4wd vehicles with the fixed fan it was necessary to disconnect the fan belt for a deep crossing to avoid the fan pulling into the radiator and wrecking it , also this type of fan is very noisy at higher revs. I believe it will be only a matter of time before the electric fans are fitted to the big 4wd units. Another improvement would be an electric water pump as fitted to the expensive cars, LOL one less belt to run.:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Chang-kuao-lo said:
well well, two sides to every story. ;p Maybe elaborate on the "horror stories"?
Remember everything is a compromise, nothing mechanical is perfect, but as one wise member states if its metal we can out think it. LOL.
This is a picture of Oz AU Falcon thermos , they fit the early Commodore and H.S.V. 5 liter V8 radiators also , the later Commodore V8 fans are too large.
As you can see from the pic you would need to build a shroud from scratch to fit the HJ75 radiator shown.But as they say in Oz these things will blow a brick s***house down.LOL.:grinpimp: Perhaps some of the Yankee cars have a set that are a better fit for the Cruiser radiators. Also if you check the output of a big single electric fan and compare that to a cruiser fan in cubic feet per minute.
rainforrest812.jpg

Also if you fit electric fans do it properly or else pay a deposit on a new motor. This will include an over ride switch with a warning light or buzzer, Temperature controller and the correct sized fan/s being in the proper position to the radiator.
rainforrest812.jpg

Talking of fans... I am thinking of going with a solid fan. Has anyone done this and how did it work out?

Thanks
GB

I see that the silicone oil is a Toyota part, is it possible to this stuff aftermarket?? and if so what brand it available in (Canada) or who might supply it?
Also has anyone replaced or serviced the bearing and seal in one of these?

Thanks in advance

What are the steps to test a clutch fan?
I am experiencing a long warm-up period -- I'm wondering if a constantly engaged clutch fan could be the cause?
Thx

Last edited:
the colder it gets the longer the warm up.
when cold and shut off take and turn the fan by hand, it shoudl turn but have good resistance. now warm the engine up to operating temp, shut it off and repeat the test, the resistance should be less but still there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom