HDJ81 First run, first impressions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wussyPup

just another ex-VI Cruiser
Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
This is more chat than tech but it may have a little Diesel Tech interest. Oh, and there are pics...

Although I bought my HDJ81 at auction last October, I wasn't able to pick it up from the dock until last Tuesday; apparently there were 167 used vehicles on that shipment from Japan along with the hundreds of new cars. As my daughter and I drove along the row of used vehicle imports, mostly Cruisers, we were easily able to see our new baby towering above the others and our excitement was pretty much uncontainable. The paperwork didn't take long and we were soon able to give the Cruiser a go-over in the rain. Other than a loose shock bushing it checked out OK and it was time to see if it would start. I turned the key and not a single indicator glowed; we gave it a 20 minute jump from the Volvo and it started immediately. The oil pressure and fuel gauges were both stuck in the basement; since the oil level was OK and I knew that it had been driven on and off the ship I decided to take a chance on the pressure. A very excited 14 year old got to drive our Cruiser the first couple hundred metres on the way out of the terminal.

Before I hear about the "where are the pics", here’s one from this afternoon...
Img0024s.jpg

The diesel purrs much more quietly than I expected and it has plenty of umph (notice my excellent use of advanced diesel tech terminology). The 35" BFG MTs make the Cruiser wobble at low speed on the pavement, but feel OK once 90 Km/h is reached. For daily driving they will be a nuisance and I haven't decided what to do about them yet.

I replaced the front shock bushings, and on Friday it passed BC Vehicle Inspection and the coveted 17 digit VIN plate was riveted in place enabling registration, licensing and insurance; yahoo!

By fortunate circumstance, a local club, the Island Rock Crawlers, scheduled a family Snow Run today. Although the Cruiser and I weren't as ready as I would have wished, I was looking forward to wheeling with the Club and meeting some of the members. The hour long highway trip to the trail head took us over the Malahat Summit. I was very impressed with how smooth the automatic transmission shifted up and down, and we cruised over the top with some room to spare under the skinny pedal.

We met at the trailhead near Chemainus and the more experienced with big tyres aired down. Here's a pic of Nadine's Hilux, Rob's V8J40, and my HDJ81...
Img0001s.jpg

As soon as we got off the pavement, the wobble disappeared and the Cruiser felt great. We didn't get far when an FJ40 had fuel pump problems and then noticed a radiator leak; he decided that the Cruiser Gods didn't want him to wheel today, so returned home.
Img0005s.jpg

The first few Kms of road was along a mainline in pretty good condition. Some corners held loose gravel, but the Cruiser with all wheel drive had no problem taking them at increasingly greater speeds as I gathered more confidence with it. We turned off the mainline onto a radio tower access road and continued up to Holyoak Lake. It didn't take long to reach the snowline and I got an excuse to press the Centre Diff Lock switch; it engaged smoothly. As we climbed, the road became steeper, with deeper snow on top of a washed out road base and it became time to turn that locker dial to engage the rear lockers; they too engaged quickly and smoothly. We had a fair bit of stop and go climbing the mountain as some of the more stock rigs had traction issues but we all made it to the lake. It was too foggy to enjoy the view, but we did enjoy good company, bar-b-queue and hot chocolate. The Cruiser with the kitchen sink from the camping kit still installed received lots of attention and compliments; I needed the "jaws of life" to stretch open the door so my swollen head could fit through.
Img0006s.jpg

Nadine's Hilux again...
Img0007s.jpg

And Rob's V8J40...
Img0008s.jpg

After we ate, some of the rigs attempted to carry on towards the summit of Mount Brenton in the fog...
Img0015s.jpg

I'd like to say that the HDJ81 made it up with the lighter rigs that had aired down but it didn't. They would float over the heavy wet snow, where I would chew my way down. It's time for me to pick up some deflators so that I can play too. I could make slow progress, but it wasn't worth it and we turned around to explore elsewhere...
Img0016s.jpg

Img0017s.jpg

Nadine's Hilux coming down...
Img0018s.jpg

Img0019s.jpg

Eventually, we ran out of trail and it was time to go home...
Img0023s.jpg

I had a great time meeting some local, responsible wheelers and am feeling great about having a Cruiser again.

At the top on my "to do" list are: fixing the oil pressure gauge, or at least verifying that the low pressure cut-off actually works, fixing the hand throttle, and replacing the big end bearings. High on the list are a pyro and mechanical gauges (but where should I put them?). The wish list includes a rear bumper with hitch and tyre carrier.

-Steve

cool. very nice looking rig. Congrates.

If your tires are in decent shape, try getting them balanced.

Or replace them with something more commercial to handle those rough logging roads....like M55 Toyo's

For the gauge mounts, either mount in a pod, or get one of those neat pillar mounts. But since they don't make a pillar mount for a 80 series, you would have to alter it.

i like the pyro on the steering cplumn since it is in plaon view and can be read quickly when climbing hills or towing a trailer. the other guages i mount down on the platform right in front(behind) the shifter so the wires are hidden.

i loved your write-up. nicely i wish i could learn how to post the pics and text the way you have done.
as for the tires, snow consitancy makes a huge differenc on traction. i have been running the true winter tires on the last 33 trips out and the difference is night and day over a mud tire.
don't cha just love those lockers? the supple coil suspension mated wiht the elec lockers and the 81 is a "almost: unstoppable rig.

congrates on your find.

cheers

It was good to meet you steve! His cruiser is in really nice shape! I really liked the alum. roof rack! I didn't know you didn't air down or I would have lent you the tools to do it. There are many ways but the most common for use is a cheap valve core removal tool from CDN tire and I have a digital press. gauge that reads accurately down to 5 psi.

Can you tell me which place you purchased from in Japan? I am interested in brousing and hopefully in the next year purchasing. I think the 80 series will be just the right size for daily driving and camping duties.

Hope to see you out on another run soon.

I think we are seeing a new trend in offroaders around here I see at least 2 pr 3 JDM trucks each day and to have 2 out of 18 trucks is damn cool!

The truck looks really good.
Really really good.
Did I say it looks good? :)

A few questions for you, if you don't mind.
With the 35 inch tires did you rub under flex?
How big of lift does your cruiser have?
How was it for power? You mentioned you were on the highway with it?
Does it still have plenty of passing power? and power for big hills?
Do you still have the stock 4.10 rear end?

Sorry for all the questions.
I ask because I have a 81 on order and get it at the end of this month.
Mine will need new tires. I am considering 285/75/16 (32.8") and 315/75/16 (34.5").
I could not find to much info on 315's and the diesel 80? As well as if they would fit or not.

Thanks,
Nick

I've always felt the " cruiser wobble " was a resultant of my 4" lift. I managed to reduce it a bit with stiff shocks, and it's reduced severely if you go down to a 2" lift, but I doubt it will ever go away unless I reduce the lift to stock.

I love those yellow headlights.

Kalawang

Been some time since I have posted on the board, been lurking quite a bit and had to give two thumbs up on your rig.

I like the larger fender flares and front bumper.

The red FJ40 sure looks alot like cruisermark on this board from Ladysmith?

When your in Nanaimo look me up.

Rob

brownbear said:
cool. very nice looking rig. Congrates.

If your tires are in decent shape, try getting them balanced.

Or replace them with something more commercial to handle those rough logging roads....like M55 Toyo's

For the gauge mounts, either mount in a pod, or get one of those neat pillar mounts. But since they don't make a pillar mount for a 80 series, you would have to alter it.

Thanks.

Before the VI, I took the Cruiser to two tyre shops enquiring about balancing. After describing the symptoms, the first shop didn’t want to look at the tyres; they wanted to book me in for a complete alignment and suspension check; I passed. The next shop did a visual inspection and explained that the tyres had worn unevenly; the fronts of each tread block wore more than the backs and this led to the tyres walking to the left and right at lower speeds on pavement; at higher speeds when warmed up there would be less tyre contact and less “walking”. They suggested that there was likely no benefit to re-balancing them, that it was likely caused by infrequent tyre rotation, and that I could run them until they bugged me too much and then replace them. I can put up with them for now unless they’re going to lead to additional steering, suspension or driveline wear. I’ll get a more experienced driver to drive my Cruiser and see what he thinks.

I’d read about and admired the M55s earlier, but they won’t fit my 15” wheels and even if I bought 16” wheels the largest M55 is 33.2”.

Thanks for the gauge ideas; I wonder if the boys down under have RH pillar mounts?

crushers said:
i like the pyro on the steering cplumn since it is in plaon view and can be read quickly when climbing hills or towing a trailer. the other guages i mount down on the platform right in front(behind) the shifter so the wires are hidden.

i loved your write-up. nicely i wish i could learn how to post the pics and text the way you have done.
as for the tires, snow consitancy makes a huge differenc on traction. i have been running the true winter tires on the last 33 trips out and the difference is night and day over a mud tire.
don't cha just love those lockers? the supple coil suspension mated wiht the elec lockers and the 81 is a "almost: unstoppable rig.

congrates on your find.

cheers

Thanks Wayne.

Your trip reports provided me with the inspiration to try to share my first experiences with my new Cruiser. I think the difference in layout between our posts is because you upload your images to IH8Mud as attachments, while I upload my pics to another site and provide inline image links.

I’d read on the 80’s board about many owners having troubles with the e-lockers engaging, but mine engaged and disengaged quickly and smoothly; way too much fun! I’m glad that I took your advice and went for an automatic.

chet said:
It was good to meet you steve! His cruiser is in really nice shape! I really liked the alum. roof rack! I didn't know you didn't air down or I would have lent you the tools to do it. There are many ways but the most common for use is a cheap valve core removal tool from CDN tire and I have a digital press. gauge that reads accurately down to 5 psi.

Can you tell me which place you purchased from in Japan? I am interested in brousing and hopefully in the next year purchasing. I think the 80 series will be just the right size for daily driving and camping duties.

Hope to see you out on another run soon.

I think we are seeing a new trend in offroaders around here I see at least 2 pr 3 JDM trucks each day and to have 2 out of 18 trucks is damn cool!

Thanks Chet, it was fun to get out to meet and wheel with you and your club, and I look forward to more.

I’ll try to find a manufacture’s label on the rack for you.

I bought my Cruiser through Provide Cars. I selected them based on a recommendation from another Mud member in the Victoria area, Red Herring.

nickw said:
The truck looks really good.
Really really good.
Did I say it looks good? :)

A few questions for you, if you don't mind.
With the 35 inch tires did you rub under flex?
How big of lift does your cruiser have?
How was it for power? You mentioned you were on the highway with it?
Does it still have plenty of passing power? and power for big hills?
Do you still have the stock 4.10 rear end?

Sorry for all the questions.
I ask because I have a 81 on order and get it at the end of this month.
Mine will need new tires. I am considering 285/75/16 (32.8") and 315/75/16 (34.5").
I could not find to much info on 315's and the diesel 80? As well as if they would fit or not.

Thanks,
Nick

Thanks Nick,

First off, I’m glad that they found your BJ60; hopefully they will let you keep it for a reasonable price.

The 35s didn’t rub on this run and I couldn’t find any indication of previous rubbing, but of course I have no idea how it was used and this was a gentle family run.
I don’t know how big the lift is; I’m willing to measure if someone describes what to do.
It had no problem cruising over the Malahat, but that’s nothing like the Salmo-Creston. I’m not tempted to drive it like a car, but others could think it under powered if they tried to. I think it would have some trouble on the hills with a heavy load or trailer.
I think that it has the stock gears because the GPS reads about 15 Km/h faster than the speedometer at 80 Km/h; I haven’t worked out the gear ratios yet. I’m considering 4.56 gears; they should be gentler on the engine and transmission; right?

I’m looking forward to your write up and pics of your new rig when it comes in. Will yours come with 16” wheels?

Kalawang said:
I love those yellow headlights.

Thanks. Those are the fog lights; there are white head lights as well. The centre driving lights are also yellow; I’ll have to pose a new pic for you…

Radd Cruisers said:
Been some time since I have posted on the board, been lurking quite a bit and had to give two thumbs up on your rig.

I like the larger fender flares and front bumper.

The red FJ40 sure looks alot like cruisermark on this board from Ladysmith?

When your in Nanaimo look me up.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I’m looking forward to coming up and visiting your magic workshop. The flare extensions were essential to pass the VI but look a little ugly up close. Like the other mods; they appeared to be well done though. We’ll have to work out what to do for a new rear bumper. The front bumper is from East Coast Bullbars

Thanks all for your nice words and warm welcome, -Steve

wussyPup said:
Thanks.

I don’t know how big the lift is; I’m willing to measure if someone describes what to do.

If it is the factory lift that a lot of the JDM ones come with then it will be 3 inches. I saw quite a few lifted ones when I was looking for mine with 35 inch tyres and 3 inch lift. Look awesome but couldn't of used it as a daily driver as the Car parks are too low around here in the UK (6 ft 2 in head room).

Looks a really nice rig.

chet said:
yep that was cruisermark but I never got to meet him as I was at the front and he broke down at the back!

Give me a ring the next time you guys go out, I will gladdly come down in my HDJ 81 and give Cruiser Marks buddy who is now driving a BJ74 a call.

Damn that BJ74 rocks right out of the box, we took it out on a mini off road trial and it met and exceeded Martins expectations.

Rob

wussyPup said:
Thanks Nick,

First off, I’m glad that they found your BJ60; hopefully they will let you keep it
The 35s didn’t rub on this run and I couldn’t find any indication of previous rubbing, but of course I have no idea how it was used and this was a gentle family run.
It had no problem cruising over the Malahat, but that’s nothing like the Salmo-Creston. I’m not tempted to drive it like a car, but others could think it under powered if they tried to. I think it would have some trouble on the hills with a heavy load or trailer.
I think that it has the stock gears because the GPS reads about 15 Km/h faster than the speedometer at 80 Km/h; I haven’t worked out the gear ratios yet. I’m considering 4.56 gears; they should be gentler on the engine and transmission; right?

I’m looking forward to your write up and pics of your new rig when it comes in. Will yours come with 16” wheels?

Thank for the info, especially on the 35's.
I go over the Salmo-Creston regularly as well as many other passes. So I am probably better off to stick with 33's for now (for power reasons).

If you do regear to 4.56 please post a write up as I am sure everyone would love to know what you think.

When I do get mine I will post a write up and pics.
Also mine does come with 16" wheels.

I was also wondering: How much clearance do you have to the bottom of your running board?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
harveya said:
My HDJ80 has factory front and rear lockers

yes is posible .. that I said ( or believe ) 81 means lcokers .. and off course many 80 have to ..

HDJ-81 means it came from japan, not that it has lockers. Many HDJ-81s dont have FR/RR Lockers. Hope that clears things up :)

Rig looks great! This thread needs more high resolution pictures :D

The only common difference that I have found is that the HDJ81 seems to have fixed side windows at the back instead of the sliding ones on the HDJ80. Also very rare to get Leather as they tend to be Alcantara Suede on the VX Limited. I saw a few with lockers and a few without, most were lifted and had 33 inch tyres on as well.

oh, sliding back windows...i want a set.
i have not come across any leather JDM 81s yet and i have yet to see a HDJ81 with 3rd row seating, but i did see a gasser in Japan with the 3rd row seating which i thought was strange...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom