FJ40 With 37's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would like to know what engine, axles, springs, you are using while running on 37 inch tires. Using a sway bar? How much did you have to trim the body? Also would like to see pics of your 40 with 37's. I would like to run 37's on my 40 but want to get informed first.

stock everything, no sway bar.
Springover.

Body cutting a must.

SUA with 4" lift running 38.5" SX's.

Rear is trimmed up as high as possible, and as far back while keeping the bottom radius. Rear springs are flipped.

Will likely have to remove the front fenders until I get a set of tube fenders installed...

Sm420 for gearing, full chr0-moly front axle.
Rear axle stock, needs some chromoly shafts from polyperformance.com

My setup is untested, just picked up the 38's.

A friend is running a 2" body lift and 4" SUA lift with 37" MTR's. All he had to do was lengthen the rear wheel well. (also has flipped springs).

Last edited:
I run 37" MTR's on the street and 38.5 SX's on the trail.

2F, SM420, 3 spd case, 4" BDS SUA, '78 front axle, '77 rear and it took me a year to break an axle with these heavy SOB's. Friday I'll order the new Poly Performance rear axles and if the wife hasn't killed me by the 30th I'm ordering Long's 27 spline chromo's for the front. My front springs are flipped so the fenders really must be cut. You'll need to cut the back too, but you can put a TJ flare on it and it looks good.
mike2.JPG
punisher13small.JPG

Mike- I was not planning on flipping my front springs "yet." Do you think its possible to run the 38.5's without doing it? Or should I just go ahead and work at getting them flipped without trying it?

CruisinGA said:
Mike- I was not planning on flipping my front springs "yet." Do you think its possible to run the 38.5's without doing it? Or should I just go ahead and work at getting them flipped without trying it?
I flipped the springs for better approach angle and slightly longer wheel base. It actually forced me to cut the fenders more on the front because of the tire location. I really like having the axle moved forward. Besides .......

It's only sheet metal:D

SUA with Shackle Reversal, 4" Softrides 1-1/2"o.s. shackles front/2-1/2" o.s. shackles rear. 1" body lift. Running 36-13.50 Iroks (36.9") on 9" wagons with 1-1/2" wheel spacers No rubbin.

Last edited:
Mine is a 71 w/ a 351w and a NP435 and 3 speed case. SOA front, shackle reversal w/ stock 40 springs that have the short side forward (flipped). Chromo front axles w/ Aussie locker. The rear springs are flipped with a welded stock 3rd w/ stock axles. I moved my front fenders up about 4 inches and forward about as much. The rear is trimed up as far as I could go without raising the wheel wells. 2" BS wheels 15x10 to keep the tires out of the inner wheel well. I am curently runing 36x14.50s but I am going to get some 38.5 SXs or some 37" PitBulls in the neer future.

I have beat on it a few times out with absolutly no problems.

Can you say poser shot? These are the only current pictures that I have on this computer.
DSC00366_small.JPG
DSC00273.JPG

74fj40 said:
thats neat, when you gonna do soa on the rear?

As soon as I have a place to work on my truck and the time to make a wrap bar. I have 5" Alcans in the rear now so they flex pretty well but I am going to do the rear SOA as soon as I gat a chance.

37 mtr's , trailready beadlocks w/2 inch back spacing, cruiser axles soa'ed w/ ringless Longfields, alcan centered springs w/ anti wrap leaves 1 inch taller than stock.....Had to trim a little off the rear quarter panel to center the tire in the wheel well using TJ flares..........Barely touched the front fenders at full stuff with 35's.......Had to add bump stops to keep the 37's from hitting :D .....

Top shot at gatekeeper w/37's

Bottom at Calico w/35's
RUBICON 05 0011.jpg
album_pic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom