is the 2 lt engine reliable??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what you guys think of the 2 lt engine? how many hp, good engines?:confused:

Geez Greg_B, thats a good list....I would have just said search search search.

Also, check out these forums:

www.toyotadiesel.com
www.hiluxsurf.co.uk
www.toyotasurf.asn.au

You'll most likely read that the 2L-T and 2L-TE are reliable engines...with the exception of the heads, which are prone to cracking. Once replaced with an upgraded head, they are supposed to be okay. I've never read a post about a main bearing failure or any other major mechanical problem.

The 2L-TE in my LJ78 is great - torquey (139 ft-lbs!) and extremely responsive to the throttle.
Not sure it would do as well in the heavy duty cruisers, or if you'd even find a way to mate it to a suitable tranny. At about 95 hp, I think it's better suited to the light duty trucks.

Robin

just remember Robin, the 3B was installed in almost all the heayier LC body styles and it only put out 92HP CDM and 97 HP JDM...

crushers said:
just remember Robin, the 3B was installed in almost all the heayier LC body styles and it only put out 92HP CDM and 97 HP JDM...

And remember, the 3B is naturally aspirated, has 102 bore, and 105 stroke, which translated to 159ftlbs of torque, as opposed to the already turbo-charged 2LT with 92 bore, and 92 stroke. I could not imagine stressing a L series engine more by putting it in a HD Land Cruiser, asking even more of it, or even comparing the two.

Stfelicien, I agree with Robins idea that the 2LT can be a good motor…3L even better. The sites Robin has linked to have some great information. I simply disagree the B and L series can be compared...to imply the same longevity or stoutness as a rule.

hth’s

gb

interesting statement since the JDM 3B produces 23KGM at 2200 rpm and the 2L-TE produces almost the same torque at 24.5 KGM at 2400 rpm.
oh and the 2L is a square bore 92X92...
curious, Greg, how many 3Bs have you actually pulled apart?
cheers

crushers said:
interesting statement since the JDM 3B produces 23KGM at 2200 rpm and the 2L-TE produces almost the same torque at 24.5 KGM at 2400 rpm.
oh and the 2L is a square bore 92X92...
curious, Greg, how many 3Bs have you actually pulled apart?
cheers

Hi Wayno...

You missed my point, and went straight for the jugular eh?

The 3B and 2LT-E have comparable numbers. Why does Toyota call the L series “light duty” then?

In addtion to that, my point was the IDI 2LT already is turbo charged, so you are comparing apples to oranges again. Compare the 2LT or 2LT-E to a 3B-T. Both engines would then be under the same load: so to speak, and then look at the numbers. (I leave the 13BT out of it on purpose because it is DI).

I’ll bet a 3B with turbo, under moderate boost would be having an easier time of it overall, and be able to do more work, day after day.

The 2LT is “working harder” already, by factory design, though it can be argued that a turbo is better for a diesel engine, resulting in increased air density assisting evacuation, better burn, lower EGT’s, or at least much more work required to get it up to the danger area (depending on fuel settings)…and much more,etc. Perhaps more stress on the head from the thermal load in the pre-cups, but most seem to put up with it in most situations with no complaints.

I think it will be really interesting to see what the stats will be over the next few years in Canada is for DI vs IDI Toyota diesel engines, or what the read world experience is in areas that have had these engines for a while. Head cracking on the 2LT, 3B, 2H and 1HZ happen when abused, and seems to happen on the 2LT even when all is good, in addition to taking the head gasket. I wonder if this is a direct result of the combustion process starting in the head with IDI design. By rights the heads are designed for this, but I wonder if that margin is smaller with the IDI design, (hence the Surf engine bay issue?). It seems so anyway with the early 2LT’s.

All this would fall under the pros and cons list for each engine, in it’s intended use Wayne; Not a better then, worse then, I know more then, etc…

As someone here mentioned a long while ago, how many kids around the world have gone to school in buses powered by B series engines. How many crates deliveries have been made by trucks with B series engines ? For years they were the workhorses, and in many situations still are.

Yes, there are a lot of L series engines around the world too, sought after and well used, in lighter duty applications. Hiace included (that’s a neat little work truck).

I’ve said it before, I would own a 2LT, 2LT-E, or 3L equipped vehicle, be cognisant of the general chatter from around the world built from peoples real world experiences, and build in those fixes to the cost of the vehicle. A 4 door 3L Hilux would be very nice! Were they solid axle on the front still with the 3L?

Saying that imo they cannot be compared does not mean they are not suitable for their intended applications…Light Duty Vs Heavy Duty.

Hth’s

gb

Last edited:
Hi Wayno...

---Hi Greg, my "new" old sparing partner...

You missed my point, and went straight for the jugular eh?

The 3B and 2LT-E have comparable numbers. Why does Toyota call the L series “light duty” then?

---ummm, Toyota never called the "L" series engine light duty, the "L" series cruiser it resides in is called "Light Duty".

In addition to that, my point was the IDI 2LT already is turbo charged, so you are comparing apples to oranges again. Compare the 2LT or 2LT-E to a 3B-T. Both engines would then be under the same load: so to speak, and then look at the numbers. (I leave the 13BT out of it on purpose because it is DI).

---ummm, no, I am comparing apples to apples. both engines are factory produced from Toyota with the numbers quoted.

I’ll bet a 3B with turbo, under moderate boost would be having an easier time of it overall, and be able to do more work, day after day.

The 2LT is “working harder” already, by factory design, though it can be argued that a turbo is better for a diesel engine, resulting in increased air density assisting evacuation, better burn, lower EGT’s, or at least much more work required to get it up to the danger area (depending on fuel settings)…and much more,etc. Perhaps more stress on the head from the thermal load in the pre-cups, but most seem to put up with it in most situations with no complaints.

---my findings is that the engine itself has poor cooling properties and with proper exhaust work it performs much better and I "feel" a better rad would help immensely.

I think it will be really interesting to see what the stats will be over the next few years in Canada is for DI vs IDI Toyota diesel engines, or what the read world experience is in areas that have had these engines for a while. Head cracking on the 2LT, 3B, 2H and 1HZ happen when abused, and seems to happen on the 2LT even when all is good, in addition to taking the head gasket. I wonder if this is a direct result of the combustion process starting in the head with IDI design. By rights the heads are designed for this, but I wonder if that margin is smaller with the IDI design, (hence the Surf engine bay issue?). It seems so anyway with the early 2LT’s.

---actually the head gasket on the 3B is weak from the factory and if you talk to anyone that worked on the 3Bs at Toyota in Canada back when the 3B was being imported, oil leaking was a common problem with the 3B head gasket and the cracking of the 3B head is easily verified as a concern as well as the pre-cup cracking problems. the head gasket problem with the 2L** series is a coolant leak concern which can lead to cracking heads. the problem we have here is we do not know the history of the trucks being brought over. Robins is a prime example of what you can end up with. the thermostat was frozen and if he ends up with a cracked head then I would have to quote previous owner neglect and or abuse.

All this would fall under the pros and cons list for each engine, in it’s intended use Wayne; Not a better then, worse then, I know more then, etc…

As someone here mentioned a long while ago, how many kids around the world have gone to school in buses powered by B series engines. How many crates deliveries have been made by trucks with B series engines ? For years they were the workhorses, and in many situations still are.

---when was the first B series produced? and how long a run did it have? sheer numbers alone will give it a serious advantage in the history books.

Yes, there are a lot of L series engines around the world too, sought after and well used, in lighter duty applications. Hiace included (that’s a neat little work truck).

----yes, the middle east buys up the "L" series 4 door hilux to the point it is hard to find a decent hilux at a decent price in Japan. they absolutely love them and I do not think that they are high on the list of a people that maintain their vehicles from what I have heard...

I’ve said it before, I would own a 2LT, 2LT-E, or 3L equipped vehicle, be cognisant of the general chatter from around the world built from peoples real world experiences, and build in those fixes to the cost of the vehicle. A 4 door 3L Hilux would be very nice! Were they solid axle on the front still with the 3L?

---yes, some did come with the 3L and a solid front axle.

Saying that imo they cannot be compared does not mean they are not suitable for their intended applications…Light Duty Vs Heavy Duty.

---that being said, I beg to differ as we shall do it seems...

----cheers

Hth’s

Greg_B said:

L series engines have been used in the dyna fullsize trucks as well :grinpimp:
You are missing the point of power rating vs. vehicle weight. 2Ls have been and abused used forever on hiluxes, with great results all over the world. The are slow, but not light duty. An L series engine is not going to work long AND fast on the heavy trucks, but it can do either at one time.

denis said:
L series engines have been used in the dyna fullsize trucks as well :grinpimp:

Cool...I still prefer the line of engines that went in the HD line of Cruisers though.

I wonder how much of it is engine bay air flow as well as coolant capacity. Be interesting to put a early 2LT and a 3L head side by side and see what the differences are.

What engines were used in the Dyna. Was it the 3L?

It's all good, cause differing opinions get conversation started, ideas and experiences talked about, so people can make up their own minds...and I learn lots too :D

gb

Last edited:
I think 2L 3L 5L were used in dynas.

I love my 2L, makes good torque and doesn't overheat at 100km/h with a rad filled with mud :D

I believe a lot of the 2LT cracking heads are from blocked radiators, either inside or outside, there's not a lot of space to do a real good cleanup.
I've not heard of 2L cracked heads yet, but they are less numerous as well...

IMO the "heavy duty" cruisers are spec'ed towards towing and loading, offroad they are not much more heavier duty than the lighter series, except from the fact that they sink quicker and deeper ;)

denis said:
I think 2L 3L 5L were used in dynas.

I love my 2L, makes good torque and doesn't overheat at 100km/h with a rad filled with mud :D

I believe a lot of the 2LT cracking heads are from blocked radiators, either inside or outside, there's not a lot of space to do a real good cleanup.
I've not heard of 2L cracked heads yet, but they are less numerous as well...

How is/was the Dyna line marketed in terms of L series, B series, or H series motors? Load capacity, axle size, truck size?

Interesting there are no "T"'s behind the L series you listed for the Dyna. Was the 2LT used at all in this application?

You're correct: I need to shift my term from heavy duty and light duty engines to the chassis's they went in, in LandCruiser terms anyway. Work is relative to engine displacement/efficiency (and especially design these days with common rail injection) and load.

denis said:
IMO the "heavy duty" cruisers are spec'ed towards towing and loading, offroad they are not much more heavier duty than the lighter series, except from the fact that they sink quicker and deeper ;)

Ya, Cuisers are not light, that is for sure...in any way (relatively speaking), which is probably why they are known and abused in so many parts of the world.

gb

Last edited:
crushers said:

Are canadian horses really that much bigger? :)

What about things like main bearing dimensions, BEB sizes, etc? Would the bigger engines have larger, ergo stronger bearings?

Also, I notice that the 2L-T reaches its power peak at 4000 rpm, while the 3B peaks at 3500. Wouldn't this mean that the 3B has a more "useable" powerband? I'm not sure I'll ever get my 2L-TE up into that 4000 rpm range - at least not for long!

Finally, I've been doing some thinking on the whole cracking head thing, and I don't understand why boiling coolant or steam, which might at the outside reach 200C, would cause a crack in a metal surface, when on the other side of the metal wall are combustion temps that sometimes push 1100F. Assuming your rad cap isn't siezed, coolant pressure should never top 12 psi - surely not sufficient to cause a crack? Wouldn't it make more sense that the cracking comes from EGTs that are too high, stressing and fatiguing the metal? Still new to diesels and such, but I thought I'd put that out there.

Robin

Last edited:
sandcruiser said:
Are canadian horses really that much bigger? :)
actually smaller, they are the "Pinto" of the horses...

light_duty said:
Finally, I've been doing some thinking on the whole cracking head thing, and I don't understand why boiling coolant or steam, which might at the outside reach 200C, would cause a crack in a metal surface, when on the other side of the metal wall are combustion temps that sometimes push 1100F. Assuming your rad cap isn't siezed, coolant pressure should never top 12 psi - surely not sufficient to cause a crack? Wouldn't it make more sense that the cracking comes from EGTs that are too high, stressing and fatiguing the metal? Still new to diesels and such, but I thought I'd put that out there.

Robin

Robin,

The nature of a diesel generates considerable heat as you know. More energy as heat is dissipated via the cooling system and the exhaust than mechanical energy to the wheels.

To answer your question; the steam doesn’t cause the crack nor does the pressure of the coolant system. The high combustion temperature causes the crack. Engines are designed to operate with a pressurized cooling system, raising the boiling point of the coolant, thereby raising its specific enthalpy and increasing the heat removal capacity. An air pocket, insufficient radiator heat dissipation, bad T-stat or rad cap can all contribute to losses in the heat removal capacity.

Insufficient cooling in the cylinder head causes uneven temperature distribution, causing uneven expansion, causing uneven stress points which manifest themselves as cracks in weak areas of the head. I.e. The cylinder head is expanding more on the hot side than on the cold side creating a type of stress termed "Hoop Stress". Think of a cooking hotdog or the Liberty Bell. Metal fatigue do to constant cycling is certainly a factor as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

expat said:
Robin,

The nature of a diesel generates considerable heat as you know. More energy as heat is dissipated via the cooling system and the exhaust than mechanical energy to the wheels.

To answer your question; the steam doesn’t cause the crack nor does the pressure of the coolant system. The high combustion temperature causes the crack. Engines are designed to operate with a pressurized cooling system, raising the boiling point of the coolant, thereby raising its specific enthalpy and increasing the heat removal capacity. An air pocket, insufficient radiator heat dissipation, bad T-stat or rad cap can all contribute to losses in the heat removal capacity.

Insufficient cooling in the cylinder head causes uneven temperature distribution, causing uneven expansion, causing uneven stress points which manifest themselves as cracks in weak areas of the head. I.e. The cylinder head is expanding more on the hot side than on the cold side creating a type of stress termed "Hoop Stress". Think of a cooking hotdog or the Liberty Bell. Metal fatigue do to constant cycling is certainly a factor as well.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Interesting, thank you.

With all that said, would you consider the combustion starting in the head (precups) of the IDI as an added thermal stress on the head vs DI design? Of course the heads are designed for the extra thermal stress, however I wonder if the margin for error (ineffective rad, sludge build-up, blockage, consistant high EGT's, etc) is not as good as with a DI engine?...With some of course being worse then others...

gb

Last edited:
Greg_B said:
Interesting, thank you.

With all that said, would you consider the combustion starting in the head (precups) of the IDI as an added thermal stress on the head vs DI design? Of course the heads are designed for the extra thermal stress, however I wonder if the margin for error (ineffective rad, sludge build-up, blockage, consistant high EGT's, etc) is not as good as with a DI engine?...With some of course being worse then others...

gb
Hmmm. Good question, Greg. It sure makes sense that there is a higher thermal stress. From what I understand, the precup even increases the compression temperature due to the friction of the small neck of the precup itself.

But now let me say:
I ain't no expert and...
I've never seen the inside of a B or L series diesel.

I cut my diesel teeth on a fairly large marine diesel, a Fairbanks-Morse ND81/8, two-stroke, scavanged, opposed piston (no head). Not much in common with automotive diesels. The first time a saw a precombustion chamber, it was on a Rabbit diesel. I had no idea what it was, so I had to do some research. So now that the disclaimer is out, I can opine freely! :)

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom