Wasatch Cruisers Fall Moab Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmc

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.expeditionamericas.com
Wasatch Cruisers made our fall run to Moab over this last weekend. Town was very crowded. Trails weren't too bad. Weather was ideal. We had about 25 trucks down there ranging from a 1966 FJ45 to a 2002 Double Cab Taco. Hells Revenge, Fins and Things, Cliff Hanger and Metal Masher were run.

From my perspective I learned the limits of my 80. Somehow I was elected to lead Metal Masher even though i'd only been on it once. I gave Rock Chucker a valiat try and failed. I was forced to try a little harder than I wanted to. After getting up on the first ledge I was committed. My receiver was wedged pretty solid and going back wasn't an option. I had a pretty scary moment with Safado on Metal Masher as well. He broke a Birf in his 80 (i'll let him tell that story) and I elected to pull him up Glitter Gulch or whatever that section of the trail is called. Well his front tow hook had seen a litte too much wear and during the pull it let loose. Luckily it glanced off the ledge in front of him, then off my rear wind deflector. It bounced over my car and the strap wrapped around my snorkel before the hook and d-ring landed on my hood. A few tiny scratches and a little dent was all I suffered. Considering the force, speed and # of spectators we were all very lucky.

Saturday I was with the group that hit Cliff Hanger. I had done the first half of this trail a few times but always had to turn around to help limp a broken rig off the trail. It was nice to finally see the end of it. Some of the harder obstacles had been filled in but the trail still offered some challenge and made for a nice relaxing day on the trail. Or so I thought. Somewhere along the way I broke my front sway bar mount on the axle. Sheared the weld right off. I'm sure it happened somewhere else and finally let go on Cliff Hanger. Okay enough typing. On to the pics.
IMG_0548 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0537 (Small).jpg
IMG_0554 (Medium).jpg

Dave...you can't just tease us Easterners like that man...we want more photos...more we say!!

Thanks as always for sharing.

Can't wait to hear the busted birf. story....

Best.
-onur

beno said:
Dave...you can't just tease us Easterners like that man...

Yea, he's really good at that. :D

That looks sweet, I will 2nd Onur, and ask for as many photos as you can post.

for some reason my picture skills were lacking this weekend. usually i'd have a lot more pics but didn't have the camera out too often.

My disgraceful exit to Rock Chucker...

The morning line up

the storm rolling in Saturday afternoon.
IMG_0517 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0569 (Medium).jpg
IMG_0540 (Small).jpg

Great weekend!
I'll contribute a couple photos as well.

The club low rider once again amazing on the obstacles.
MOAB POSTRUN 010.jpg

working the way down the cliff side of cliff hanger
MOAB POSTRUN 011.jpg

perspective shot of the drop off.
MOAB POSTRUN 016.jpg

finally the 45
MOAB POSTRUN 026.jpg

LIVERUST said:
working the way down the cliff side of cliff hanger

Did they remove all of the road fills for the pipeline they fixed out there last year? I never went to see, but I heard most of the obtacles were toast--how was metal masher or is the rock chucker on Steel Bender?

We meant to get out there-I forgot you were all there. Couldn't talk Durango60 and FreightDog into it really...or my wife.... :frown:

We're only 2.5 hrs away so next time you're there give a PM or somthin....

Also Fzjfillmore-you get my message about spcrs????-Sorry for the double up post...

fj803fe said:
Did they remove all of the road fills for the pipeline they fixed out there last year? I never went to see, but I heard most of the obtacles were toast--how was metal masher or is the rock chucker on Steel Bender?

Cliff Hanger still has some fun obstacles but you can see where a few have been filled in. Give it another season and wet winter and it will be back to it's old self. I'd rate it a 3+ with optional 4 obstacle or two.

Rock Chucker is on Metal Masher. It was my first time driving it. Has some fun stuff. Fairly short which is nice. Except when you have an 80 with a broken birf.
dmc

Busted Birf Story...

So for our Friday Run we decided to do Metal Masher. The first half an hour was just a windy dusty trail and I literally thought to myself..."where's the mashing metal?" So needless to say I was a bit over zealous to try the hard line on the first little obstacle that came up. Wasn't much at all, just a smooth lump to roll up. However after thinking this all through...I engaged my front ARB locker late, and it must not have set until mid climb. I remember a distinct noise and thought for sure I had busted a birf. It wasn't even loud...just a little plink. So I backed off and took the by pass. Everything seemed fine however...no clicking, grinding, nothing...so we continued.
I knew something was wrong however as I had no power...the littlest ledges required it to be fully locked to screatch my way up it. We got back in to a very narrow section and I was just dead...couldn't make it up a thing. DMC came back to help strap me up a ledge and things ALMOST went from bad to worse. We connected my snatch strap to my DS front tow hook. And connected the other end to one of his rears with D-Rings. We started to give it a pull up when WHAM!!! All I remember is being scared ___less. It was a tremendous force, and there were many bystanders. Call it what you want, but we we're all very fortunate that day. From bystander accounts, the tow hook ripped from my truck during one of the bumps. Fortunately it first hit the ledge we were trying to climb up, flew threw the air, deflecting off of Dave's rear wind deflector, and continued up towards the front of his truck. As the length ran out it wrapped itself around Dave's snorkel, scratching the paint on his hood as it came to rest. I've read too many horror stories to know that we all weren't extremely lucky out there. We took every precaution necessary winching me out the rest of that section.
Come to find out later that night that my breakage earlier was in fact on the birf, just not in the cage as was thought...I actually snapped the axle (see final pic in link) in an almost perfectly perpendicular plane. DMC saved the day again with a spare birf and we swapped it out after pizza in the park.

Here are some more pics for all you East Coast Boys.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9AbtXLZs5aPwg

Safado said:
Busted Birf Story...

So for our Friday Run we decided to do Metal Masher. The first half an hour was just a windy dusty trail and I literally thought to myself..."where's the mashing metal?" So needless to say I was a bit over zealous to try the hard line on the first little obstacle that came up. Wasn't much at all, just a smooth lump to roll up. However after thinking this all through...I engaged my front ARB locker late, and it must not have set until mid climb. I remember a distinct noise and thought for sure I had busted a birf. It wasn't even loud...just a little plink. So I backed off and took the by pass. Everything seemed fine however...no clicking, grinding, nothing...so we continued.
I knew something was wrong however as I had no power...the littlest ledges required it to be fully locked to screatch my way up it. We got back in to a very narrow section and I was just dead...couldn't make it up a thing. DMC came back to help strap me up a ledge and things ALMOST went from bad to worse. We connected my snatch strap to my DS front tow hook. And connected the other end to one of his rears with D-Rings. We started to give it a pull up when WHAM!!! All I remember is being scared ___less. It was a tremendous force, and there were many bystanders. Call it what you want, but we we're all very fortunate that day. From bystander accounts, the tow hook ripped from my truck during one of the bumps. Fortunately it first hit the ledge we were trying to climb up, flew threw the air, deflecting off of Dave's rear wind deflector, and continued up towards the front of his truck. As the length ran out it wrapped itself around Dave's snorkel, scratching the paint on his hood as it came to rest. I've read too many horror stories to know that we all weren't extremely lucky out there. We took every precaution necessary winching me out the rest of that section.
Come to find out later that night that my breakage earlier was in fact on the birf, just not in the cage as was thought...I actually snapped the axle (see final pic in link) in an almost perfectly perpendicular plane. DMC saved the day again with a spare birf and we swapped it out after pizza in the park.

Here are some more pics for all you East Coast Boys.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=9AbtXLZs5aPwg

So what hook point did you bust off of? Was it the OEM tow hook latch points? HOw were you guys attached to each other? Front/Rear? D shackles invloved?

Glad you guys were ok. recovery is fun, but rather scary sometimes with all that built up tension between large heavy objects.

Thanks for the pics.
-onur

Front to rear on Factory tow hoops and D-rings. You can see mine in the last picture in that album. I'll have to get a higher res. shot later, but it looks as if the PO might have bent it on an obsticle causing a slight tear in the metal and then bent it back into place. There is a little bit of rust you can see on one of the edges...that's the theory at least.

This was a great time! The new Black & Tan pleased it's new owners to the point that they felt guilty four-wheeling was done in such comfort!

SEE MY 35 PICS HERE.

Ciao & :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom