Lockers, I need some, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today I found a place to take my new to me 88 LC and I now know why I need lockers. So with that being said I want some that are manual. I do not want electric or something that is $$$. This is my DD also just FYI. Here are some pictures of my wife and dog today.

Any ideas would be great!!!

suffolk angela and louie on hood.jpg
suffolk bruce and louie.jpg
suffolk angela on hill.jpg

Last edited:
Im afraid anything you'll want is going to be $$$$$.

Cable lockers arent cheap, and youll need a full floating rear end. ARB's arent cheap either.

Sorry to give you the bad news. Ive had five rigs with dual ARB's. I love them.

TB

Two thumbs up for Aussie Lockers.

I have the same requirements ... Daily Driver, no electric, and no fancy air hoses.

Best bang for the buck. Bad pun because you will hear them ratchet (acceptable level of noise).

www.aussielocker.com

Cahil

P.S. No affiliation and I don't have their stock in my portfolio ... yet.

I would go with Aussie or Lockright. I am really loving my Lockright in the rear of my 60 so far. Good street performance with some adjustment to my driving style.

stinkyfj60 said:
I would go with Aussie or Lockright. I am really loving my Lockright in the rear of my 60 so far. Good street performance with some adjustment to my driving style.

You know all that is great, except when the conditions are, "rain, ice, snow" non selectable lockers SUCK SUCK SUCK in NON DRY conditions!

In fact they are arguably dangerous in non dry conditions.

Go electric or ARB or NOTHING IMHO!!!!!!

HZJ60 Guy said:
You know all that is great, except when the conditions are, "rain, ice, snow" non selectable lockers SUCK SUCK SUCK in NON DRY conditions!

I dont know, my dad has had a Detroit in the rear of his 40 for a couple of years now here in CO. He doesnt complain about it being dangerous in ice/snow pack conditions. He says the rear end pushes here and there, but nothing dangerous. He just adjusts his driving style to compensate. I guess I will find out this winter...

We only get snow a couple of times a year here.......but, after driving my V8 FJ40 (Detroit)and my wifes 60 (Lockrite) in the snow, I would say if you are a competent, alert driver, you will be fine...and better off than with an open rear end

HZJ60 Guy said:

Based on over 5 dozen autolockers sold/installed for others and about ten of my own rigs equipped with them... Including the rigs that my teenage daughters learned to drive in and the ones that they and my wife now drive as dailys... I gotta call BS on your claim.

And yes we get "rain, ice, snow" here in Alaska.

Mark...

Ok, I have taken all this in account, now the aussie lockers, lockrite and the detroit ez lockers are the same, What one would be better or does it matter?

Why not put an auto-locker in the front first, and see if it does what you need? You don't have any of the driveablilty issues, and typically the front benefits more by having a locker since the weight when ascending is over the rear wheels.

The off road capability of a rig benefits more by having a locker in the rear because the weight of the rig is on the rear tires when climbing.

Anyone that says a autolocker in the snow/ice is impossible to deal with shoudl nto be driving in the snow/ice to begin with. Does to make a difference in how the truck handles?? Yes it does, however it is easy to get used to.

Mark W said:
Based on over 5 dozen autolockers sold/installed for others and about ten of my own rigs equipped with them... Including the rigs that my teenage daughters learned to drive in and the ones that they and my wife now drive as dailys... I gotta call BS on your claim.

And yes we get "rain, ice, snow" here in Alaska.

Mark...

You can call BS if you wish, but a person should know what their getting themselves into. A locked up vehicle is not always stable in wet/snow/ice conditions. You can argue that. You can argue how difficult it is or isnt to control, but you cant argue that it isnt stable in non dry conditions.

Tom

Mace said:
Anyone that says a autolocker in the snow/ice is impossible to deal with shoudl nto be driving in the snow/ice to begin with. Does to make a difference in how the truck handles?? Yes it does, however it is easy to get used to.

Agreed. If you grew up learning to drive in snow (me; Western NY), and deal with it on a regular basis, then there will likely be no problems.

I've had the opportunity to live all over the US and Canada, and I would generalize that most areas that only get the occasional snowfall (including where I live now) get downright dangerous due to inexperienced drivers when the roads get a bit slippery. I'm pretty sure the lawyers have a good say what kind of warnings need to go on the box and for a good reason.

All that being said, I had one on a Sammi and one on a 40, and was able to keep them a straight line with no problems. I would believethat the longer wheelbase of a 60 would be even easier to control.

HZJ60 Guy said:
You can call BS if you wish, but a person should know what their getting themselves into. A locked up vehicle is not always stable in wet/snow/ice conditions. You can argue that. You can argue how difficult it is or isnt to control, but you cant argue that it isnt stable in non dry conditions.

What do you mean by "stable"? I've been driving with an auto locker in the back of my pigs for four years now, and the only time I think it's been disadvantagous has been steep side slopes with snow or mud; not to say an open rig did much better in those circustances either. Other than that I think performace and "stability" is increased, even on the highway, in snow, at high speeds.

I would rather have the rear locked all the time than not locked at all.

Something I have notices is the open and closed, I not sure what is ment by this phrase so I not sure what question to ask. What is an open, closed, and what is the difference, pros cons? Thanks

Bruce

batman said:
Something I have notices is the open and closed, I not sure what is ment by this phrase so I not sure what question to ask. What is an open, closed, and what is the difference, pros cons? Thanks

"Open" is an unlocked differential, such as the factory setup on your FJ62. "Locked" would be having an auto-locker (which is locked 99% of the time, unless you're turning and it's disengaged) or if you have a selectable locker, it being manually locked as well.

HZJ60 Guy said:

Tom

Tom,
Ive heard you talk non-stop about your rigs and never seen any shots of them offroad. true they are very nice rigs. But, My rig is a DD. Its locked, SOA on lift springs,geared and wheeled hard. It rains here everyday at 5ock. The locker has never ever gave me a problem in the rain EVER.. I grew up in the snow and drivng my cruiser in it, and even there I would not be botherd by it. I call BS on you since
A) you don't DD your rig with a locked rear.
B) you say you only have ever had ARB's
c) you don't know what you are talking about.

lowtideride said:
Tom,
Ive heard you talk non-stop about your rigs and never seen any shots of them offroad. true they are very nice rigs. But, My rig is a DD. Its locked, SOA on lift springs,geared and wheeled hard. It rains here everyday at 5ock. The locker has never ever gave me a problem in the rain EVER.. I grew up in the snow and drivng my cruiser in it, and even there I would not be botherd by it. I call BS on you since
A) you don't DD your rig with a locked rear.
B) you say you only have ever had ARB's
c) you don't know what you are talking about.

Damn Sam!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom