A Few Questions about the Orion TC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I'm thinking about changing out my 3sp transfer case that is loud and leaky with an Orion and had a few questions. I already have an NV4500 5sp trans to a 350 chevy:

1) Where is the best place to buy one that is already assembled ready to install?
2) Is the Orion less noisy than an OEM 3sp and 4sp TC?
3) If I want to stop all the leaks at all costs, what other parts should I order?

Thanks all, Scott

PM Poser. He da man.

Of course there's nothing wrong with that.

But that's just me.

Ed

sfrolich said:
Hi All,
I'm thinking about changing out my 3sp transfer case that is loud and leaky with an Orion and had a few questions. I already have an NV4500 5sp trans to a 350 chevy:

1) Where is the best place to buy one that is already assembled ready to install?
2) Is the Orion less noisy than an OEM 3sp and 4sp TC?
3) If I want to stop all the leaks at all costs, what other parts should I order?

Thanks all, Scott

1- Not aware of anyone that is offering these that way...

2- The Orion is quieter than a three speed case.

3- Where are all your leaks? If the tcase is the only thing leaking, the Orion comes with all new seals, so that should not be an issue. If your companion flange on the front output is wore where the seal rides, then sleeve it or replace it, and same for the parking brake drum!

If I were doing this for me, I would order a newer, late modle mainshaft, 4wd shift collar and late modle front output shaft, corresponding fine spline front output companion flange, and new high/low shift collar.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hey that is right!!!

Forgot that Al offers them set up...

Thanks!!!

-Steve

Poser said:
1- Not aware of anyone that is offering these that way...

2- The Orion is quieter than a three speed case.

3- Where are all your leaks? If the tcase is the only thing leaking, the Orion comes with all new seals, so that should not be an issue. If your companion flange on the front output is wore where the seal rides, then sleeve it or replace it, and same for the parking brake drum!

If I were doing this for me, I would order a newer, late modle mainshaft, 4wd shift collar and late modle front output shaft, corresponding fine spline front output companion flange, and new high/low shift collar.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the info.

So is the Orion quieter than the 4sp transfer case?

As far as where my leaks are, pardon my infantile terminology... It leaks from the parking brake drum, where the TC is bolted to my TC/NV4500 adapter, and where the cross member holds the TC (don't know if that is even possible).

Since I have a 3sp TC I'm assuming I have the 10 spline. If I order the pre-assembled 16 spline what else do I need to do? Put a new 16 spline output shaft in the transmission instead of my current 10 spline?

Can you buy new parking brake drums?

Thanks, Scott

sfrolich said:
Thanks for the info.

So is the Orion quieter than the 4sp transfer case?

As far as where my leaks are, pardon my infantile terminology... It leaks from the parking brake drum, where the TC is bolted to my TC/NV4500 adapter, and where the cross member holds the TC (don't know if that is even possible).

Since I have a 3sp TC I'm assuming I have the 10 spline. If I order the pre-assembled 16 spline what else do I need to do? Put a new 16 spline output shaft in the transmission instead of my current 10 spline?

Can you buy new parking brake drums?

Thanks, Scott
You might just call Advanced Adaptor, I found them to be very helpfull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom