A question about how to attach the fiberglass top to the windshield. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I made the hardtop roof for my FJ40 from random parts sides and rear fold up tailgate I bought a new fiberglass top.
the method I am using to this point is ,
1. I bolted the new gutters on the sides and welded them then painted them except the front gutters as I'm not sure how to know if I'm missing something.
2. I am trimming the top to fit the gutters and I will drill the holes to rivet the top to the gutters.

My question is after I weld the front gutters to the side gutters and rivet them on what connects the top to the windshield.
I would hope when buying a new fiberglass top, rain gutters and seals there would be some instructions though I guess I should have been born Knowing.
I thank you in advance for any help forthcoming.
#49.jpg
#50.jpg
Mike

The piece you have bolted to the windshield frame gets riveted to the fiberglass top

I wish I had a photo for you after I attached that front rail, but here is where it attaches. I just bought a cheap pop rivet gun and some pop rivets. Does your cap have holes for the rivets? View attachment 3479523
That help a lot. I've been delaying finishing the build trying to figure it out. Now I will continue

I made the hardtop roof for my FJ40 from random parts sides and rear fold up tailgate I bought a new fiberglass top.
the method I am using to this point is ,
1. I bolted the new gutters on the sides and welded them then painted them except the front gutters as I'm not sure how to know if I'm missing something.
2. I am trimming the top to fit the gutters and I will drill the holes to rivet the top to the gutters.

My question is after I weld the front gutters to the side gutters and rivet them on what connects the top to the windshield.
I would hope when buying a new fiberglass top, rain gutters and seals there would be some instructions though I guess I should have been born Knowing.
I thank you in advance for any help forthcoming.
View attachment 3479488View attachment 3479489Mike
Edit: I’m dumb I see that you said you used pop rivets

I’m not sure I understand the question? If you’re talking about the rivet, I pulled from the top side and then filled the little hole with some Bondo…

Flared (disc/flange) part on the top…

Last edited:
Not a how-to persay, but this has all the re-assembly from when I did my cap - might augment some of the photos and advice above:

Nice Vid… :cheers:

Couple question for zerotreedelta; what rivets did you use (size etc) and where did you get the rivet set tool?
Thanks!

I just made the tool from a set of vice-grips, it's traveling around from one mud'er to another.

I used some rivets from McMaster - I mistakenly ordered flat-top rivets (vs OEM was domed), but they worked just the same. I think the top only needs 80-90 rivets (but only by memory), but they come in boxes of 250.
McMaster P/N: 97481A125
Aluminum Flat Head Solid Rivets, 1/8" Diameter, for 0.313" Maximum Material Thickness,
Packs of 250

You can have some of these larger rivets if you want. I used them to join the visor to the cap. They’re solid aluminum; I used an air hammer and bucking bar to install.

IMG_2498.jpeg
IMG_2499.jpeg
IMG_2500.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom