Compression test results and questions, AutoeRx theory, and spark plug? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I bought my 96 w/ 106K I had it inspected at a local Toyota dealer, I was mainly interested in the head gasket condition. Had them do a compression test and general inspection of the rest of the truck.

Results in PSI
#1 157
#2 145
#3 162
#4 160
#5 160
#6 155
Average 157 PSI

He sprayed some light spray lube in 1 and 2 and then got

#1 162
#2 155

The FSM is a little vague calls for “171 psi or more” and “Minimum pressure: 128 psi” seams an awfully wide range and why the two ranges?

Conditions called for in the FSM
Warm engine
Intake hose removed
Throttle wired open
Battery maintains charge

I have been hearing good things about AutoRx on the oil forum in general the one that really caught my attention was compression tests before and after AutoRx. (also check out the photo’s ) The supposed mechanism being that sludge can keep rings from seating and making a good seal, as long as they are not worn you can get some of the compression back by removing the sludge. so I finally paid for 3 bottles to do 2 cycles. I wanted to see if I could repeat his success.

Today 30K and 1.5 years after the other test I rechecked the compression as a control expecting to get about the same results as the dealer mechanic.

6-8-05 131,848 miles

About 4:30 pm engine shutdown after town run on w/ AC on

5:06 PM
Ambient temperature 88°
CHT 212°
Start disassembly
(Burn fingers, sweat like a dog leaning over hot engine)

5:25 pm start test
CHT 170°
#1 205
#2 197
#3 205
#4 205
#5 207
#6 207
5:38 pm end of test
CHT 159°
Average 204 PSI

5:45 pm start second round
CHT 154°
#1 206
#2 197
#3 205
5:50 pm end second round
CHT 152°

5:53 pm
Battery
Voltage 12.78 main, 12.90 aux,
Temperature 112° main 117° aux
(only main used for test)

Installed new plugs, rotor and cap, wires inspect OK.
Temps taken with IR thermometer pointed at greasy spot on front of head, comparison value only when used on aluminum like this.

#2 is still lower than the rest but not by as much as before , First thought was slightly better cleaning ability of synthetic oil actually paid off but that cannot be it, not that drastic,

other thought was different compression testers used, I am using a new Mac tester, could be that his read low or mine reads high or a combination of both,

The battery that came with my 80 for the first test was under sized and colder weather to boot, cranking speed was lower, today the battery was oversized and also much warmer (112°).

the dealer mechanic let it sit in the parking lot for quite a wile before even getting to it and the compressing test was done near the end of the inspection, motor was luke warm at best, Toyota calls for a warm engine I cant picture how much difference that would make though, coming back to the first 3 cylinders there was virtually no change despite the 30 degree drop

Any Idea’s on what brought the 50 PSI indicated increase? Could the compression have actually gone up or would different test conditions make for that much of a change?

Dino oil and Arx will go in tomorrow if it does not rain. I’ll try to update this thread with any info along the way, I am trying to see if this stuff is actually worth the money they want for it and if it will have any positive effects on a normal 1FZ.

a side question the old plugs have a brown ring on the ceramic (tube side) at first looked like a rusty water line stain but the tubes, metal hex and washer did not show any of this residue (some oil but no rust stain) , I don’t remember that on the first set of plugs I pulled out, anybody seen this before? The working end of the plugs has some light ash and fouling about nothing to bad. The electrodes had not worn much.

Truck idles a lot smoother with the new plugs cap and rotor I think 30K is going to be my interval for them, 100K or so on the wires.

So Raven, how much did you spend? I've always been sceptical of so-called "snake oil", but you have some very tangible results. Compression = efficiency. What octane gas do you run? More info please. As far as your plug question, I used to have a BMW 2002 tii that would have a stain on the #4 plug ceramic, like you describe. At that time we figured that it was running a little hot, 10:1, 205 psi, which may be borne out by the fact that you have fairly high compression. Thanks, Greg.

You can't compare the results when done with 2 different gauges. Rather than the value of each cylinder, I would look for differences between the cylinders. In your case, the numbers are very close. I wouldn't worry about it.

cruiserman said:
You can't compare the results when done with 2 different gauges. Rather than the value of each cylinder, I would look for differences between the cylinders. In your case, the numbers are very close. I wouldn't worry about it.

I concur.

sea2skydad said:
So Raven, how much did you spend? I've always been sceptical of so-called "snake oil", but you have some very tangible results.

I don't think Raven has done the treatment yet. The numbers taken above were to establish a baseline, before the treatment.

sea2skydad said:
So Raven, how much did you spend? I've always been sceptical of so-called "snake oil", but you have some very tangible results. Compression = efficiency. What octane gas do you run? More info please. As far as your plug question, I used to have a BMW 2002 tii that would have a stain on the #4 plug ceramic, like you describe. At that time we figured that it was running a little hot, 10:1, 205 psi, which may be borne out by the fact that you have fairly high compression. Thanks, Greg.

The Arx was on “sale” and about $35 IIRC for 3 bottles witch is enough for 2 cycles on a 1fz with some remainder, but as I said above (maybe not clearly enough) I just put the AutoRx in today, the compression check I did yesterday was for a "before" AutoRx to be compared to an "after" to be done about 7K miles from now. I was expecting to get about what the dealer got but was surprised with ~200 PSI.

Keep your skepticism it is correct almost all of the time when it comes to additives, Arx has a large following among oil nuts who also shun additives witch means either it actually works or they are all sheep. I am hoping to find out witch.

I run high grade (93 octane I think?) and have run it in almost all my vehicles since I was in college, it is slightly easier on the engine.

It is hot here but I don’t think I am over heating, as far as I can tell ( I am not a plug reading expert) the business end of the plug looked ok as far as temperature, had a bit of ash witch I assume is oil

sptip.jpg

Is this what you saw?
spstain.jpg

From left to right Removed OEM Denso Plugs 1 through 6 and one NJK plug removed from same engine shortly after purchase mileage unknown but no stain.

spgroup.jpg

Oddly enough # 4 has some oil residue and had the least of this stain, :confused:

it seams quite stuck on, it takes aggressive rubbing with a paper towel to get it off.

cruiserman said:

I would expect good tools to be somewhat accurate although maybe not directly comparable they should not show the large difference seen here, witch lead me to the I guess unanswerable question: did the compression actually go up or just the indication.

I was thinking that if it were all in indication/conditions then the ratios between the cylinders should be the similar but they are not. They tightened up even though the #'s increased.

Maybe the condition of dealer mechanics tester is too much of an unknown to even make an educated guess.

let's see if it does anything.

Rookie2 said:
I don't think Raven has done the treatment yet. The numbers taken above were to establish a baseline, before the treatment.

yep

Raven Tai said:
I run high grade (93 octane I think?) and have run it in almost all my vehicles since I was in college, it is slightly easier on the engine.

Why is 93 octane easier on the engine? From what I understand, the higher the octane the slower the burn and the hotter the engine. High octane fuels leave more deposits too don't they? I don't see how that would be easier on an engine.

Last edited:
The total BTU's produced by higher and lower octane is the same, lower octane burns faster creating higher peak temperature and pressure, wile higher octane has a longer burn with longer but lower heat and pressure,

the example my piston engine instructor gave was hitting the top of a piston with a hammer or pushing on it with your hand, total energy is the same (arm muscles) but you will get more motion with less stress with your hand than the hammer, the actual difference is a lot less drastic just an example. he was also talkign abotu engines desighner for over 100 octane,

Higher octane is also less likely to detonate, (true hammering)

That is the first I have heard of higher deposits, any more info on that? that is counter to what fuel advertising ads claim, we all know how truthful marketing people are :mad:

Last edited:
Raven,

Excellent stuff - great data, great photos!

FYI, the closeup of the plug is almost EXACTLY what the plugs I pulled out of my brother in law's 93 a couple weeks ago. Right down to the light yellow/whitish stuff that looks like drywall sputter, the rounded edges of the center electrode, and the amount and color of the deposits on the threads. The difference? His plugs likely had 50,000 miles and the engine had 286,000 on it. So, fair guess that your engine is healthy and that's what your plugs are going to look like when you pull them for us in 2018 and snap the photo with a camera powered by a lifetime nuclear power plant on a microchip. Looks healthy.

Good stuff.

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
Raven,

Excellent stuff - great data, great photos!

FYI, the closeup of the plug is almost EXACTLY what the plugs I pulled out of my brother in law's 93 a couple weeks ago. Right down to the light yellow/whitish stuff that looks like drywall sputter, the rounded edges of the center electrode, and the amount and color of the deposits on the threads. The difference? His plugs likely had 50,000 miles and the engine had 286,000 on it. So, fair guess that your engine is healthy and that's what your plugs are going to look like when you pull them for us in 2018 and snap the photo with a camera powered by a lifetime nuclear power plant on a microchip. Looks healthy.

Good stuff.

DougM

are we gonna have nuke retrofits in our old FJcruisers too by then, Sir? :D

Doug glad to hear 280K and still running perfectly, hopefully I'll get there but it won’t be 2018 more like 2009 at this rate. Neat comparison to my Chevy plugs in the other thread on a truck with <1/4 the mileage of mine and almost 1/10 of your brother in law's 93

Did his plugs also have the brown stain?

Started searching outside of mud and it is “Corona Stain”

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/qa_17.htm
http://www.densoiridium.com/howtoreadusedplugs.php
http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/technicaltips/coronastain.asp

I have seen the blue light around the plug before, never had seen (maybe not noticed) the stain.

Although it sounds like nothing to worry about, why did the Denso get this stain and not the NGK’s? Why hasn’t anybody else here got it?

My engine paranoia/hypochondria/OCD really needs to take a break and have a few step 6's

Higher octane is also less likely to detonate, (true hammering)

Octane doesn't make you go faster, it allows you to run a higher compression engine that allows you to go faster. All the octane does is keep the gas from blowing up too quickly or before the piston reaches TDC, hence the reason for pinging when you run too low of octane gas and the reason an RX7 motor can run just fine on 65 octane.

RAven as I read it you have a stock engine, no milling of the head? If this is correct the second reading is real high, more like the 10 to one compression , not he 8 to 1 compression reading of the stock engine. So either the guage reads real high, or you are starting to accumulate some thickness on the top of the piston. It would be good to have the guage tested for accurcy by the dealer to find out for sure. All in all i would expect the reding to even out more, but not increase much past the specs of the manufacture. (like to 180-185 psi). Any how if it runs great then that is what really matters. later robbie

I'm guessing baked-on oil or carbon from vapor getting past the spark plug tube seals. The line where it stops is where the plug wire tube extends to... right?

RavenTai said:
The Arx was on “sale” and about $35 IIRC for 3 bottles witch is enough for 2 cycles on a 1fz with some remainder, but as I said above (maybe not clearly enough) I just put the AutoRx in today, the compression check I did yesterday was for a "before" AutoRx to be compared to an "after" to be done about 7K miles from now. I was expecting to get about what the dealer got but was surprised with ~200 PSI.

I reread the post and thanks for clearing that up. Almost had a convert. "Miracle in a Bottle". I'm not familiar with the staining that you have on the plugs, IIRC the discoloration that I had was lighter and went farther up the plug. I stopped driving that car 15 years ago.

robbie said:
RAven as I read it you have a stock engine, no milling of the head?

correct, bone stock.

If this is correct the second reading is real high, more like the 10 to one compression , not he 8 to 1 compression reading of the stock engine. So either the guage reads real high, or you are starting to accumulate some thickness on the top of the piston. It would be good to have the guage tested for accurcy by the dealer to find out for sure. All in all i would expect the reding to even out more, but not increase much past the specs of the manufacture. (like to 180-185 psi). Any how if it runs great then that is what really matters. later robbie

I did see some deposits on top of the piston through the SP hole, no idea how thick.

I am going to take the guage to work today and see if I can rig it up to another guage and compare thier readings,

Rookie2 said:
I'm guessing baked-on oil or carbon from vapor getting past the spark plug tube seals. The line where it stops is where the plug wire tube extends to... right?

probably, at the begening of these plugs life the tube seals were seeping, never got any in the tube that I saw, just a little bit of oil sat on top of the tube seal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom