ramhorn to single exhaust just got done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pbgbottle

Forum Lifer
Threads
hey there just switched from dual 2 inch exhaust to single exhaust . dropped it off at my buddys shop and this is what i got when i returned . custom 2 1/4 inch crossover into 2 1/2 inch single out the back . almost looks like a dual exhaust .
IMG_0185 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0186 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0187 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Dang that looks nice!

How accessable is the oil filter going to be?

Yoda said:
Dang that looks nice!

Looks like a hand-burner to me. Forget the 2qt Wix filter.

I reeeeeeally need to do this to my 40, I've had enough of the outside the frame dual exhaust in my face.

My starter is a large one like yours and I thought it would be in the way?

Do you still get exhaust in the cab?

How does it sound?

cost?

Yoda said:
Dang that looks nice!

the oil filter come off . they actually took it off while i was there i was concerned about that also . it is the longer filter napa gold 1061 . if that is what you mean by 2qt. dgangle .thanks yoda .for the comment . i think it looks great too .

Who did your exhaust? I am going to be doing something similar to mine soon and I have pretty much the same setup you have. I noticed you're somehwere in BC. (mines down at Rob's shop in Richmond getting rewired).

Jeff
'74 fj40, chevy 355, sm465, SOA, 35 mud t/a's and front disc's

Deep South Cruisers said:
I reeeeeeally need to do this to my 40, I've had enough of the outside the frame dual exhaust in my face.

My starter is a large one like yours and I thought it would be in the way?

Do you still get exhaust in the cab?

How does it sound?

cost?

i had the outside the frame rails exhaust for years . couldn't stand the fumes .
then went to inside the framerails duals . was better . now onto single exhaust .
have not driven more than 4 blocks in this setup .so not sure about the fumes yet . i can't get insurance until i get the emmissins tested (this morning)
for sound . it loud as hell . he gave me some v-force muffler . it is loud .will have to wait and see how it sounds with the roof off .for cost it was about $400 and he said that was a deal ??????????
he said they charge a fortune for y pipe because they don't like building them .so if ya want one like that they might charge ya an arm and a leg .to discourage ya from going to single . he tryed to talk me into duals again for 2 weeks . ( lazy ass but in the end i got my y-pipe )

Last edited:
Enigma said:
Who did your exhaust? I am going to be doing something similar to mine soon and I have pretty much the same setup you have. I noticed you're somehwere in BC. (mines down at Rob's shop in Richmond getting rewired).

Jeff
'74 fj40, chevy 355, sm465, SOA, 35 mud t/a's and front disc's

buddy of mine in surrey . budget brake in muffler . if you are serious let me know i will give you the location .

put a simple heat shield (sheet metal) between the pipe and your oil pan.

pbgbottle said:
it is the longer filter napa gold 1061 . if that is what you mean by 2qt.
Nope. Napa 1794 or Wix 51794. It measures 3.75" dia X 7" long. Hangs below the pan approx 1/2". Found this on a 366 CID BBC in a C65 Chevy dump truck.

Yep. 1794 is the 2 quart version. If you plan to stick with the 1 quart filter (and it looks like you have no choice) I might suggest switching to the 1060 filter over a 1061 because of the anti-drainback valve in the 1060.

Rice said:
Yep. 1794 is the 2 quart version. If you plan to stick with the 1 quart filter (and it looks like you have no choice) I might suggest switching to the 1060 filter over a 1061 because of the anti-drainback valve in the 1060.

Why do you not like the anti drainback valve?

I think the fab and access to the filter would have been easier and cleaner with a pre-fab collector

My single exit about where yours does. With doors and top of, or with bikini, I can smell some exhuast, but hey, I haven't tuned the Q-jet yet!!!

Damn good looking exhaust set up, I wish I had some connections for some exhaust work on my 60.

I would like to double check the facts. I am running the Wix 51061 filter in the TBI350 in my wifes 89' suburban will the Wix 51794 directly replace the Wix 51061? I only ask because Im all for running a 2 quart filter in the family hauler.

"I am running the Wix 51061 filter in the TBI350 in my wifes 89' suburban will the Wix 51794 directly replace the Wix 51061? I only ask because Im all for running a 2 quart filter in the family hauler"

Akcruzr,
Go to Napa and have both set on the counter. Compair the female thread size as well as the gasket dimensions. I am not sure when Chev changed but my 95 Z71 with 350 TBI and 95 Impalla SS both use a much smaller (legth, dia & threads) filter. These are not interchangable with the 51794 2 quart. Besides class 6-8 trucks, I have never seen such a big and cool looking filter. It really is huge and bigger is better, right?

Pbgbottle,
Why didn't your muffler guy make a simpler collector? It looks like a rust hole waiting to happen where the two pipes join into one plus those two 2" pipes take up some serious real estate around the filter. Not to mention radiating some serious heat do to the increased surface area. How did they ever seal both tubes completely? Heat may not be an issue where you are but it is already hotter than heck here in the deep south. Forget about an auxilary tank in the rear with the way they routed/located the muffler and tail pipe. Not trying to be a dick and this all may not matter to you but these are things I see that it wouldn't work for me. YMMV. :)

Last edited:
Rice said:

are you saying i have no antidrainback valve in this one 1061 . i thought there was . so i should swith to the 1060 . right . thanks for the info .

dgangle said:
"I am running the Wix 51061 filter in the TBI350 in my wifes 89' suburban will the Wix 51794 directly replace the Wix 51061? I only ask because Im all for running a 2 quart filter in the family hauler"

Akcruzr,
Go to Napa and have both set on the counter. Compair the female thread size as well as the gasket dimensions. I am not sure when Chev changed but my 95 Z71 with 350 TBI and 95 Impalla SS both use a much smaller (legth, dia & threads) filter. These are not interchangable with the 51794 2 quart. Besides class 6-8 trucks, I have never seen such a big and cool looking filter. It really is huge and bigger is better, right?

Pbgbottle,
Why didn't your muffler guy make a simpler collector? It looks like a rust hole waiting to happen where the two pipes join into one plus those two 2" pipes take up some serious real estate around the filter. Not to mention radiating some serious heat do to the increased surface area. How did they ever seal both tubes completely? Heat may not be an issue where you are but it is already hotter than heck here in the deep south. Forget about an auxilary tank in the rear with the way they routed/located the muffler and tail pipe. Not trying to be a dick and this all may not matter to you but these are things I see that it wouldn't work for me. YMMV. :)

no need for auxillary tank . muffler works were it is for me . and for the collector he said it was the easiest one to make after a couple of try's .and for sealing it up you weld the ends together before you weld the outer collector on . its all sealed up . thats why he put a flanged joint in there so if any problems i can easily remove the front half or the rear half . its all good . and its not that close to pan

AC Delco PF932 is the same as the Wix 1794 and Napa 51794 but at less than 1/2 the cost. Napa is apparently proud of their s hit.

walker still makes y-pipes for the ram horns, but i guess not in the size that you wanted... not as pricey though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom