Bad transmission on 2000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2000 TLC with 71,000 miles on it. Bought it used at the dealership 1 year ago. I'm glad it was a Toyota Certified Used Vehicle with a warranty, or else I'd be about $3750 in the hole.

The transmission started to make a "Errr...Err...Err..." especially in overdrive. It was subtle at first but then got louder after a few months. When I first took it in, the shop "could not reproduce the sound."

I don't know if the tranny was abused by the previous owner, or if there was some type of defect. The vehicle appeared to be in mint conditions, and the records showed it had been well maintained.

Hopefully the new (remanufactured) transmission will last for many more miles than the original. It was no fun driving the loaner Tercel for a week...

Wow, first one of those I've heard of on the board. Glad Mr. T took care of you.

And, welcome to the board :)

The transmission in my 2000 LX470 went out as well.
Luckily mine was still under warranty.

I posted a message about it when it happened to me.
FJ55 - 100 responded to my message indicating that there
was a run of bad shims which affected some of the 2000
and maybe 2001 transmissions.

I have over a year and a half on the rebuilt trans with no problems.

IIRC, there were threads in the past on problems w/ the 2000 LX tranny.

Exact thing happened to my Aunts LX. She had 80K or so on it, and it just blew driving down the freeway.

But she drives it hard...very hard.

Damn, I guess I forgot about those threads! Jeebus, I got rid of my Acura for the LX b/c of it's tranny problems! Of course I didn't have crap for miles on it before it blew (30k IIRC).

I've heard of recalls on some of the acura auto trannies (stuff like they can shut down while driving on the freeway). The last generation (97-01) of prelude auto trannies are known to be problematic, too (though mine's a manual, which has a good reputation). The 5spd manual in my 86 4runner has been problem-free, still on the original clutch. It's hard to beat good 'ol fashioned manual when it comes to reliability, ease of maintenance (drain & fill), and low cost (eg, 3 qts of synthetic vs. 15 qts).

Since the UZJ100 is sold overseas with an optional 5spd manual, we know there is a bell housing to mate the manual tranny to the 2UZ. I guess you'd need a new engine chip as well as the manual tranny and maybe t-case (or adapter if there's one) for a swap.

I was looking at my Hyper-Rev LC books last night at the LC history section and noticed that up until the 80 series, virtually all manual trannies in LC's were the bullet-proof H-series and low 4.8 first gear. With the 80/100 series, manuals went to the R-series with higher first gear ratios (exception was the FJ40 3spd, IIRC), like 4.0 for the HDJ80's 5spd. Now, the autos have even higher first gear ratios. The JDM LC70 still used the H-series up 'til this year, when production was discontinued. IIRC, the 105 international spec rigs also use the H-series.

In looking at the paper work the dealership said "Found bearing had come apart in overdrive."

The new tranny is running great--very quite, shifts less, and is smoother than the old one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom