Headlight Faq (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is it?????

Will someone post up some headlight swap information with part numbers?

Thanks

For 100 series Land Cruisers, you could pretty much just copy and paste the headlight FAQ from the 80 series section, as both the 80 and 100 series Cruisers use the same bulbs.

Summary: The consensus (consensus meaning 95% approval rating) is that HIR1 and HIR2 bulbs are the way to go. I have them in my 80, and couldn't be more pleased.

The LX470's are a slightly different story, as they use H1 bulbs (and not 9006 bulbs) for low beam applications. They still can still use the HIR1 bulbs for high-beams, however, so that half of the equation is unaffected.

For the H1 low beams on our LX, I went with Narva + 30's from www.danielsternlighting.com I believe these are xenon gas bulbs, but I can't remember and he doesn't have them listed as such on his website. Anyway, I am pleased with both the lighting and the correct filament placement.

These H1 bulbs have a slightly shorter life expectancy than regular, stock style H1's (by maybe 25%), but they are cheap enough (about $11 each) that I bought a couple of pair for when the first burn out.

Excellent. Let's get it in E ( :

Hope y'all have better luck with the HIR's than I did. I bought the HIR's for the high beams in my LX and one of the bulbs is gone after only 5 months....unless I got one bad bulb, I'd question spending the money, as they don't seem a whole lot brighter than what was already in there....................

Due to the fact that the O.E. headlights on my 100 are so frickin` effective under MOST conditions, and that they are very long lasting filiments....I would say that the only logical "upgrade" would be to add another pair (or two) of high powered off road driving lights to the front bumper, or roof rack, or anywhere else you might want to mount some...besides, I have seen WAY too many situations where some (higher wattage) bulbs have blown fuses, or even melted (or otherwise damaged) the connectors or wiring directly behind the bulbs over a short period of time.

Besides...There is nothing like the feeling of losing your headlights while cruising along @ 80 mph on a twisting 2 lane highway in the middle of the night !!
(well, other than the instant rush of certain death!!)..lol....

dnp said:
Hope y'all have better luck with the HIR's than I did. I bought the HIR's for the high beams in my LX and one of the bulbs is gone after only 5 months....unless I got one bad bulb, I'd question spending the money, as they don't seem a whole lot brighter than what was already in there....................
It would seem that replacing the low beams are the way to go not the high beams. If I recall, the change is greater i.e. more notiecable in the low beam swap. My brights are perfectly fine in my opinion. But I got uses to zenon bulbs in my last BMW wagon and I have never experienced better low beam lighting that in that vehicle. I would like to try the low beams to see the difference. Logically, there has to be a difference.

the 100's have a very good stock high beam and a really crappy low beam, replace the low with HIR, I am very happy wiht the pretty big improvment in the lows with HIR. I have no changed the high and plan not to.

My HIR's are 10K on them and are on ALL the time.....

dnp said:

Did you ever contact who you bought your bulb from and ask them about it? You've been the only one of the many, many people who bought them to experience any problems. Your bulb might have been an aberration, so I'd take action if I were you.

SINCITY100 said:
I have seen WAY too many situations where some (higher wattage) bulbs have blown fuses, or even melted (or otherwise damaged) the connectors or wiring directly behind the bulbs over a short period of time.

The headlight upgrades I and the FAQ thread I linked recommended do not require any more wattage than the OEM lights, therefore eliminating the problem you speak of. DNP is the only one who has had an HIR light burn out yet, so I'm going to hold off on calling it an epidemic.

From the 80 series FAQ, here are the differences between the standard OEM bulbs and the HIR bulbs in light output, measured in lumens

Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1000 lumens
Low beam new: HIR2, 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens
High beam new: HIR1, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens

The HIR low beams offer 875 additional lumens, or a 87.5% increase in light.

The HIR high beams offer 830 additional lumens, but only a 49% increase in light.

An 87.5% increase is far more noticeable than a 49% increase, but the increase is still there for the high beams if you want something a little more.

I've replaced the H1's in my LX with an aftermarket HID kit. The light output is much nicer than a typical halogen bulb. Mounting the ballasts were pretty also since there is plenty of room inside the engine bay. The base of the headlight needed to be filed to make room for the bulb though.

What does the "plus 30" and "plus 50" signify?

aedgington said:
What does the "plus 30" and "plus 50" signify?

I think it means that with the addition of xenon gas, it burns hotter/brighter to make it appear 30% or 50% brighter than w/o that change. I've tried both Hella xenon+30% and +50% H4 bulbs...can't really say I can tell any difference other than I blew one +50% after maybe 6 months while the +30% lasted much longer.

My dealership has told me that installing HID's in a 2006 LX470 would require disconnecting the daytime running lights. Does this sound right to any of you?

Daytime running lights run off of the bright bulb I thought. Therefore you could just upgrade the low light bulb. I remember a writeup on this somewhere...just search.

Jukelemon said:
Where is it?????
Will someone post up some headlight swap information with part numbers?
Thanks
There is a partnumber for OEM HID headlight unit in the 2000 parts catalog for General Area Version:

Part number: 81050-60100
Prod.Date: 9801-
Part Name: Headlamp Assy, w/clearance, LH
Models(Descr): UZJ100..GCC Discharge Headlamp

81010-60100 for RH

This part number can not be found in the Europe/Japan 2002 catalog.

This is with one HID bulb and one regular, which is which? Might be an option.
Don't know the cost, if orderable. Probably $$$$$.

Now, GCC stands for something like "Gulf Council Countries", but it might still fit other versions, since they are all manufactured at the same plant. Can anybody fill in on this?

Guys, we should update this. now that we can swap to HID lights both low and high beam! my car is has improved DRASTICALLY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom