Front Axle service grease ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How much and what type? I have searched and found a couple of answers.
Molly fortified Valvoline 2lbs for each side? Use the same stuff on the bearings too?

I plan to start today so get ready for lots of questions :bounce:

I sued amsoil synthetic.

Molly is for the birfield, you use non-molly in the wheel bearings. The thinking (theory) is that molly grease in the wheel bearings will not allow the rollers to spin, therefore wearing flat spots.

Read this and the other linked tech articles if you haven't already.

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/birf-repack.php

Zipastro:

The molly is for the birfs. and the Mobil 1 red tube grease is for the wheel bearings and the trunion bearings.

If you look at the pics. I sent you last week, you will see the one picture looking down on packed birf. It's the nasty gray stuff--that's the molly and only for the birf and inside of the knuckle housing (about 1/2-3/4 full). This stuff came in a tub (I used the Valvoline full synthetic stuff)

The pics of the baerings with the red stuff on it--the repacked bearings--is the Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease. That stuff came in a tube by us up here in NE Ohio...it might come in a tub by you but you should find it in a tube too.

Best of luck.
-onur
Akron, OH

Use Amsoil synthetic Multipurpose Lithium base grease for your wheel bearings (comes in tube with red labeling/letters)

Use Amsoil synthetic Heavy Duty Grease Moly-Fortified for your birfields and inside the knuckles (comes in tube with blue labeling)

Have fun with a messy job!

beno said:
The molly is for the birfs. and the Mobil 1 red tube grease is for the wheel bearings and the trunion bearings.
Hmm, I had not known anyone to use the non-moly grease for the trunion bearings. They are bearings, so you possibly could use a non-moly grease, but they are not acting like a bearing in this applications, they do not spin, they only turn when you turn the wheel, all of the other time they are getting side-to-side loading, so I have always used moly grease for the trunion bearings. I don't have my manual here to see what it states.

Also I didn't think that mixing greases that close would be good, since the grease in the birf gets all around those trunion bearings, I would think that should be the same grease.

Two pounds each side will work. There are some folks that have used moly grease in both the birfs and the bearings. However, Toyota says to use the lithium base bearing grease in the wheel beraings.

Curran

for the trunions I just went with the FSM which called for lithium based bearing grease (which I presume M1 is, as opposed to the moly).

agree that mixing is not the best idea and I think posts in thepast have talked about the problems inherent in using different greases for different areas of the front axle.

I wonder what type of leakage/seepage occurs between the trunion bearings and the actual axle housing, if any. This might be something useful to know based on Mark's earlier comments...

Best regards.
-onur
Akron, OH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom