smog pump parts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I opened up my smog pump over the weekend and based on its simplicity I'm curious to know if one can purchase the internal guts of the thing (vanes, brushes, bearings etc). Seems to me that specter or someone should sell a rebuild kit with the vanes etc.

And where does specter get their rebuild parts??

I did some quick research and didn't find anything.

Cheers

Most of the rebuilds only replace the bearings; someone here - thinking it's 60wag - has a source on replacement bearings. They seem to reuse the guts over and over.

Why should Toyota sell a rebuild kit on these things when they are a) required by law and b) sell for $1000.

Besides, I think it's illegal to mess with your smog system unless you're a lic pro. (Federal law) - that could have something to do with it, too.

That's interesting, considering you can rebuild the carb, or replace cat converters, EGRs, etc. But the whole capitalistic money making thing makes sense.

Cheers

It's probably not worth Toyota's time to sell a rebuild kit, if you get right down to it. They probably have a company that builds them - component builder.

Good point about the carb, but you can't buy a rebuild kit for your EGR, etc. And just because you can get the parts and put them on yourself doesn't mean you legally can. It's kind of like the AC thing - all you need is a valve stem "wrench" to let all the freon out of the system - but that doesn't mean it's legal to evacuate your system.

But yeah, I'd say $$$/logistics is the biggest reason.

swank60 said:
Besides, I think it's illegal to mess with your smog system unless you're a lic pro. (Federal law) - that could have something to do with it, too.

i think the PO broke the law then on mine.....either that or his mechanic.
its desmogged, but kind of jimmy rigged looking. i am just procrastinating on either "resmogging" myself :rolleyes: , or having someone do it...if possible.
don't think i'll have a lot of capable and willing folks to do it, even if i pay em!

Swank-all true yes. But, I'm going to keep looking. If I find anything I'll let everyone know. I'm looking forward to when I don't have to have this thing smogged. What is the vehicle age to absolve oneself from this responsibility?? Does it vary by state or is it federal??

Cheers

i think it is by state, but i have only lived in 2 states (il and tx). in both of those states is is 25 years. i only have 5 years to go on mine! :rolleyes:

Air Pump (Smog Pump) rebuild with part #s

swank60 said:
someone here - thinking it's 60wag - has a source on replacement bearings.

Check out my article here:

http://www.birfield.com/article35.html

PabloCruise writes "I wanted to pass on some information on rebuilding a smog pump after I successfully rebuilt two of my own pumps.

The vehicle in question is a 1978 FJ40 - Federal Spec.
It was originally missing its air pump.
I got two from various sources.
When disassembled, one had vanes and wipers, while the other one turned out to be a shell.
I rebuilt them both and put the functional one on the vehicle and put the decoy on the shelf.

My buddy and I carefully pulled the pulley by threading the two holes in the pulley to accept a puller.

We then soaked the case in carb cleaner to get rid of the funk inside.

I purchased all the bearings I needed for a total cost of $22!

Part numbers are as follows:

Front bearing 6203-2RS (Qty 1)
Rear bearing B188 (Qty 1)
Vane bearings BA65 (Qty 4)

The place I bought these from said the part numbers should be industry standard.

The front bearing is an upgrade, as part number listed is a sealed unit, while the one that stacked up in my pump was a shielded unit.

Pump works well, hasn't seized yet!
It has since made the trip to Moab and survived some shallow water crossings.

I built these pumps in early March, and the one on the vehicle still works well.
I just took my emissions test and passed with ease.

I hope this information helps some Cruiser heads get their pumps working so they can pass the emissions inspection."

I got my stuff at Rocky Mountain Supply, in Ft Collins, CO 970-482-4910

This pump still works fine, don't know how many miles are on it (I can check when I get home)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom