fridge cooler retro fitting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kmg

Threads
Anyone know whether you are able to purchase a Land Cruiser 100 center console fridge cooler and retro fit the unit ?

Australia

yes and for the 60-2 series. SOR sometimes has them, not cheap however

lx450landcruiser said:
did they make such a thing for 80 series?

To keep your beer cold?

I pulled the back half of my console out and installed brackets for a Waeco 25 litre fridge which I drop in and out when ever I go away anywhere with the kids or out with wine and beer. It is a compressor type fridge and can freeze as well. It's great for travel so my wife can get food and drink out while driving and feed the 3 kids in the back. Also because it is a 25 litre, it has lots of room, not like the little tiny Toyota cooler boxes. I can post a photo if you like.

lx450landcruiser said:
did they make such a thing for 80 series?

Yes, but all the plumbing and stuff would make it VERY difficult, along with with rear A/C.

I guess "If there's a will, there's a way", but maybe another way than OEM. ;)

Mot

snowcruiser said:
100 TD...Yes...Photo please.....
Photo of fridge in place and bracket, I'm into functionallity not cosmetics, so something better could have been done with the brackets, painting, carpet etc, I just cut a piece of 1/2" MDF board and screwed the brackets to it and used existing threaded holes in the existing console bracket and floor pan to bolt it to. There is ample room to access the handbrake lever and also room on the passenger to access seatbelt etc. It is a bit higher than the standard console but I drive with my arm resting on it. My good lady shoves my arm off when shee wants to get into it and the lid hinges up to the rear out of the way. It works brilliantly for us, but others may prefer something more "original". As I mentioned before, 25 litres of cold space holds a lot of food and drink and keeps it very cold.
Bracket 1.jpg
Right fridge.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! Can we even get 25L fridges in the US?

dclee said:

YES I would say,
actually 24 quart in your terms model CF-25
http://www.waecousa.com/

Funny thing, what do you guys do to fridges over there, I thought we were extremely tough on them, we get a 3 year warranty on everything and a 5 year warranty on the compressor, it looks as if you guys only get a 2 year warranty?

Last edited:
dclee said:
I haven't seen anyone else do this, but I'm glad now that my vehicle came without the cool box as I would have been reluctant to remove it to do this I expect. I also put a CF-50 Waeco in the back for longer trips away and to use as a main fridge at camp and I can use this one to make ice cubes for the Gin & Tonic and Rum & Coke!

dclee said:

I just found this link
http://www.rvlifestyles.net/ItemPag...14826&groupid=5670000029477&CategoryNumber=09
$513 available from RV lifestyles so you can definately get them, I also have the AC adaptor so we have it running in the house the day before we go and load it up with all the food etc. The mounting brackets ar a bit "ordinary" but I went with them as I didn't have time to do anything else. There is a strap to go through the brackets to lock the fridge in place but I actually slide it down over the fridge over the top of the brackets instead of threading it through, it holds better this way and also does not reduce air supply to the condensor.

kmg said:
Anyone know whether you are able to purchase a Land Cruiser 100 center console fridge cooler and retro fit the unit ?

I looked in to doing this in my 2004 LC GXL. It turns out that the cooler is part of the dual aircon that comes in the Sahara and the Kakadu models here in Australia. The cost was such that it would have been just as cheap to trade up to a 2005 Kakadu. However Ford Australia make a 15 litre cool box for their new Territoy SUV model that goes on the back seat and is held in place buy the seat belt and plugs in to the spare power socket in the back. Nice looking unit that keeps the bottles of water cold just the same as the Toyota cool box and costs Au$185.
regards Tonym

Tonym said:
I looked in to doing this in my 2004 LC GXL. It turns out that the cooler is part of the dual aircon that comes in the Sahara and the Kakadu models here in Australia. The cost was such that it would have been just as cheap to trade up to a 2005 Kakadu. However Ford Australia make a 15 litre cool box for their new Territoy SUV model that goes on the back seat and is held in place buy the seat belt and plugs in to the spare power socket in the back. Nice looking unit that keeps the bottles of water cold just the same as the Toyota cool box and costs Au$185.
regards Tonym
IIRC the Toyota cooler box is part of the refrigerated airconditioning system as Tonym mentions, that is why it , and Waeco compressor fridges, are so much better than what I expect Ford to be offering, I believe their cooler, like hundreds of others from $50 to $300 AU are all "Thermoelectric" cooler/heaters", which have very poor performance compared to a refrigerated compressor driven system.

Does the coolbox work when the engine and air conditioner are turned off?

Holy thread revival...... @100 TD How is your fridge holding up, assuming you still have the vehicle? I thought I was the only one to fit one of these waeco fridges as a center console, looks like you beat me by a few years... This is my setup in the 80, wish i had googled mounting kit for them, but this setup is very secure. And you are right, the height is perfect for armrest. http://www.waeco.com/Australia/MS-9...e-Series/SK-115444-CoolFreeze-CF-25-CF-25VERA

Excuse the mess, photos taken after long trip

IMG_4854.JPG
IMG_4851.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom